we need an action award

Tools    

bokscutta
i need a strict answer...will an action movie ever win an award for best picture? best screenplay? i'm so tired of dramas!

Originally Posted by bokscutta
i need a strict answer...will an action movie ever win an award for best picture? best screenplay? i'm so tired of dramas!
So The Departed, No Country for Old Men and The Silence of the Lambs are too rooted in stuffy Dickensian-like rhythms and formality for you to enjoy? And if Gladiator and The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King aren't "action movies", what in the fart are they?

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

You could probably also make the case that "Best Editing" is often times de facto "Best Action" award. Look at some of the recent winners:
  • The Bourne Ultimatum
  • The Departed
  • The Matrix
  • The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
  • Black Hawk Down
It's not perfect, of course, as films like Chicago and Crash have also walked away with it, but the Academy seems to acknowledge (at least over the last decade) that good action films are generally among the toughest films to edit.

yes "what in the fart" are these

all of the aforementioned and
  • Ben-Hur (1959) 11 Oscars...
  • Platoon (1986)
  • Braveheart (1995)

Put me in your pocket...
Is there an Academy Award for stunt work or stunt co-ordination yet? I don't normally pay attention to the awards handed out earlier on Oscar day or when they hand out the tech awards. If there isn't, I wish they would give the stunt people some love with an Oscar nod.

Sounds like you're looking for a new Oscar category: Best Film Based on a Video Game.