Question about John Carpenter's The Thing

Tools    

I thought this would be a good forum to ask this question that has been on my mind for so long. In The Thing, how does the alien actually shapeshift into a person or animal. Does it cut through them somehow and go inside ? Because then i don't understand why its all mutated for example when its exposed in someone it usually has the same persons head inside the actual one, why is this ? if anyone knows please tell me im trying to understand it.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Have you seen any of the versions of Invasion of the Body Snatchers? If so, that might help you figure it out. There is an absorption process inferred, but it all depends on when you "call the alien out".

Have you seen any of the versions of Invasion of the Body Snatchers? If so, that might help you figure it out. There is an absorption process inferred, but it all depends on when you "call the alien out".
Thanks for your help, i think it does actually rip through their body then go inside and neatly stitch the body up again..in the movie they refer to shredded long johns which makes it obvious it gets into them..very complex but amazing to think about.

Why does the shark in Jaws attack people, why does Forrest Gump run, why do Bonnie and Clyde rob banks? Makes for good movies don't it?

Sorry