Trying to find a film

Tools    

I am haunted by an movie I saw 30 years ago as a teenager on TV, so it could have been much older. I cried all the way through, but have never seen it again and don't remember the name or who was in it. I can remember the plot, though. It is set somewhere in Southern Europe, a catholic country, maybe France or Italy. Two people fall in love, she becomes pregnant, she goes to the church to pray but does not tell her lover. He goes away to sea (he's a fisherman, perhaps?) and while he is away she marries an old man who has always fancied her in order to avoid scandal. When the lover returns he goes to see her. She tries to conceal her child's birthday cake behind a curtain but eventually he sees it and realises that the child must be his. (Can't remember what happens in the end). I am pretty sure it was an american film despite the location. I certainly saw it in English anyway. Anyone have any idea of the name?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I believe it's Fanny (1961), with Leslie Caron, Horst Buchholz, Maurice Chevalier and Charles Boyer and set in Marseille, France. There was an older, French version in black and white, but this sounds like what you saw. Yes, it's a pretty good hankie picture, but it's also got a lot of humor in it.

Thank you so much for that - I have found one of favourite films again!

I believe it's Fanny (1961), with Leslie Caron, Horst Buchholz, Maurice Chevalier and Charles Boyer and set in Marseille, France. There was an older, French version in black and white, but this sounds like what you saw. Yes, it's a pretty good hankie picture, but it's also got a lot of humor in it.