Anyone remember name of charactor actor?

Tools    

We are trying to remember the name of an actor. Whether he is alive today or not, I don't know. He was very short, stocky (well, actually, fat), had a slightly high pitched voice, usually played the mayor of a small town or some minor political position (only because no one else wanted the job), a bit arrogant, know-it-all (although he really knew nothing), the comic relief of the picture. I thought he might have played the role of the mayor in the original Dukes of Hazzard movie but I looked it up and that was played by James Best (I think). Anyway that is not the actor I am trying to remember. Does this ring a bell with anybody?

This description is far too general. Other than telling us you guessed "The Dukes of Hazzard", you don't even let us know the general decades this mystery man's work might have been in. I think you're remembering a type that could be easily conflated with two dozen actors over the years, in film and television. Until you can get specific about a plot point rather than a "usually played" type, I doubt you're going to figure this out.

THIS site has a good collection of photographs and biographies of over a hundred character actors. If browsing through that doesn't find him for you, you're just going to have to luck upon a performance while flipping around TV one day.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

So many good movies, so little time.

Sounds like Charles Durning.

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

Sounds like Charles Durning.
It sounds like Charles Durning a bit, I guess, though not the high-pitched voice, and he's not always comic relief, either, and I don't get the know-it-all vibe from characters he's generally played.

You're looking for a fat white guy character actor, so it could be Andy Devine, Dub Taylor, Claude Akins, Hoyt Axton, Barry Corbin, Bert Remsen, Billy Gilbert, Thomas Mitchell, Gene Lockhart, Edgar Buchanan, Jack Weston, Strother Martin, M.Emmet Walsh, Trey Wilson, Kenneth McMillan, James Gammon, David Huddleston, George Dzundza, Maury Chaykin, Robert Prosky, Paul Dooley and on and on and on. There's no shortage of heavy-set white dudes who had supporting roles in Hollywood. If more details of even one performance or film/show can't be given, they're going to have to luck upon it themselves.

Thank you everybody. The last one was it - Richard Paul. The name wasn't even familiar to me- not one that I paid much attention to, I guess. Anyway, it was a great trip down memory lane.

It was your description coupled with my memory of RP in Carter Country that did it. Did you watch that show? "Handle it, handle it!"

Funny stuff. Stupid, but funny.