Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I won't dance. Don't ask me...

And yes, Portman truly showed all kinds of potential as a growing actress in this, especially when it came to expressions.
She was so impressive. I think it's her best role.

“I was cured, all right!”
I Just finished this:

What a great movie! I was thinking "How the hell spielberg filmmed this in 1971?" and with a Low Budget! I was even more amazed when I was searching some posters and saw that this was actually a TV movie with some additional scenes later for a theatrical release. Great! The Ultimate Car Chase!

“I was cured, all right!”

Embrace of the Serpent (2015)

+

Absolutely stunning film.
I got a copy of this last saturday. I'll watch this during this week. Nice to see that you enjoyed. I'm excited to watch!

Hoopla aka Hoop-La (Frank Lloyd, 1933)

Not exactly a hula-va movie but Ms. Bow gives a decent enough performance as the 'tart with a heart'
Ha, tart with a heart is exactly right, Clara Bow pretty much always played that character. Cool! that you're watching some 30s films....I don't know if I seen that one. But I'll give it a go.

Embrace of the Serpent (2015)
+ Absolutely stunning film.
I've had that movie saved for the longest time, glad to see you admired it so much, I'll have to watch it finally.

Two Faces of January (2014)
So glad to hear that someone else really enjoyed that film. I never hear it talked about. I rated it high too. My review

Mark Of The Vampire (Tod Browning, 1935)

Rolls along quite nicely but sucks a bit toward the end

I was only able to squeeze out two movies this weekend:

The American remake of M (1951) was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. It's definitely B noir, and lacks any of the deep philosophical or visual merits of its source material. What I thought would torpedo this movie from the start would be the time and setting. The original M (1931), taking place during the crumbling last years of the Weimar Republic, is a criticism of the inefficiency of the German police, with the only cop shown on screen is the inept and gluttonous Inspector Karl “Fatty” Lohmann (Otto Wernicke). Faced with mounting police raids, the criminal underworld, the Ringvereine criminal syndicates, of Berlin take it upon themselves to catch the killer. The American version of M takes place in San Francisco in the 1950s. Law enforcement is painted in a completely different picture, rather as inefficient, detectives are assigned the impossible task of finding the child killer. The Mafia gets involved because of police raids, but also for positive press with an upcoming grand jury indictment hanging over the underworld. The title, premise, and ending are what these two films share. The American remake is more of a race between the mob and the cops of finding this killer, since the cops are doing actual police work. The way the killers are portrayed are also completely different. Peter Lorre's Hans Beckert is a monster and has more of a demonic presence in the original, while David Wayne's Martin W. Harrow is more of a tortured soul who doesn't want to kill, but thinks the world is soo evil, that dispatching kids from their mortal coil is sparing them from the trappings of the world (because he saw a dead bird when he was a kid or something). Overall, the film isn't a total waste of time,but the original M has more in common with The Godfather (1972) than its American remake.

RATING:

The other film I watched this weekend was My Scientology Movie (2015). I watched alot of Louis Theroux's stuff during my time at UNO, so I was really interested to see what he's done in the mean time. If you're familiar with his work, it's the usual deadpan questions asked by Theroux, except the Scientologist are just having none of it. Slowly over the course of the documentary, Theroux receives letters from the church, is followed around, and is filmed by various "squirrel busters." What I think sets this documentary apart from others about the topic is the humorous, easy going tone that My Scientology Movie has. Since they obviously don't have access to David Miscavige (apparently he's a big fan of backgammon) or Tom Cruise, they film the process of casting actors for these roles to film dramatizations of speeches, interviews, or situations told by ex members of the church. The film really doesn't answer any questions, but it's just a funnier look at trying to make a documentary about the church, definitely worth a look, along with Theroux's other work.

RATING:

I Knew Her Well (1965, Antonio Pietrangeli)

Pietrangeli moves back and forth between the comic and tragic in this low-key but hard-hitting character study, as he takes a jab at the cynicism and shallowness of the modern entertainment industry. Stefania Sandrelli is absolutely radiant in her portrayal of the naively innocent and hedonistic Adriana, who moves to Rome to pursue an acting career only to come to grips with the bitter reality - and her own existential inability to fit in and find her place in it.
Really a gem of a movie - and beautifully shot in black-and-white.

Cool! that you're watching some 30s films....I don't know if I seen that one. But I'll give it a go.
Starting early in the hope I can build a list and not miss out again.

Interesting documentary.

Re-watched this. Good movie. I really like Greta Gerwig.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...

Re-watched this. Good movie. I really like Greta Gerwig.
It look interesting. I would like to watch it. I also like Gerwig. She is ordinary and inobvious in the same time.

It look interesting. I would like to watch it. I also like Gerwig. She is ordinary and inobvious in the same time.
Her new movie is out. She is the director & does not act in it.

Marjorie Prime (2017)

A very different type of sci-fi movie that's based on, believe it or not, a stage play. This is not an in your face, fast edit, CG high energy flick. It's been called 'soulfully contemplative'. That photo gives you a good idea of what the film is like.

I did find the first half of the film to be contemplative about the nature of fading memorize. The feeling of the movie is melancholy as we see an elderly woman who's suffering from memory loss, interact with a prime, an advance hologram of her deceased husband.

I liked it and it was very different, maybe the ending wasn't as strong as I would have liked. But still worth the time if you like slower thought provoking movies.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Marjorie Prime 2017.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	294.8 KB
ID:	37655  

Thursday Next said she might be willing to do it.

Her post...
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...37#post1817437
Whoops, I posted a response to the '30s countdown in the wrong place. Looks like it was some kind of feminist thread. Here's the post:

A '30s countdown would be very hip. We wouldn't likely get the same participation as in the '40s one however. I'd gladly send in a list of the 25 films that are IMO the "best" films (which might not be necessarily my favorite films). As in the '40s poll, I'd skip animation and non-English speaking films.

Cheers,
~Doc

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Thor: Ragnarok 3D
@doubledenim is absolutely correct -- he is NO Doug!!
Gonna echo a lot of what has already been said, laughed a lot and it was great to see Thor in his world AND to have Hulk back on scene again. Cate Blanchett was excellent (as if she could be anything less) as Hella and to have scenes that were apropos for "The Immigrant Song" ESPECIALLY the second one put a HUGE grin on my face.

(MULITPLE REWATCHES) 13th Warrior
Want to thank @Larry for creating a thread to talk about this movie and get me wanting to see it again. A really great sword/action film with great characters and a solid story line.

Whoops, I posted a response to the '30s countdown in the wrong place. Looks like it was some kind of feminist thread. Here's the post:

A '30s countdown would be very hip. We wouldn't likely get the same participation as in the '40s one however. I'd gladly send in a list of the 25 films that are IMO the "best" films (which might not be necessarily my favorite films). As in the '40s poll, I'd skip animation and non-English speaking films.

Cheers,
~Doc
That's great if you can participant in the 1930s Countdown.....but...that won't start until the Women's Directors Countdown is over, which might not be for up to 6 months.