Gatsby's Top 51 Films

→ in
Tools    

Like I said - I haven't seen The Truman Show in forever. I'd have to watch it again to really be sure how I felt. But if I was faced with the task of writing a story where a guy realized his life had been a TV show and it was all fake, and he could escape it if he wanted to, the whole thing would be about WOULD he decide to leave. Is it better to stick with what you know or escape and find out what you're missing? Which is worse -- losing your current reality, or losing a different possible reality? If YOU found out your family, your friends, your lover were there in your life because it was scripted and they were actors hired to play those roles -- if this was really going on with the people in your life right now -- is it really worth ditching everything you know just so you can escape the show and be "free?" Is that really "free?" Or is it a gateway to madness?

I think most people would probably live with the illusion. Look at the response I've received from people when I tell them they don't have free will. Nobody wants to believe me. People just wanna say I'm wrong/crazy. It's the same kind of thing. In reality, not many people would probably walk off their own Truman Show. That's probably why in a weird way The Truman Show worked as a film -- because Truman gave it all up. He walked out. It was a heroic act. People see that as victorious.

But if The Truman Show had been more honest -- Truman probably wouldn't have left the show. Would you walk through a door and leave your whole life behind? That movie, where Truman doesn't exit through the door, probably wouldn't have been a success. Why? Because people probably wouldn't want to face that kind of truth -- that they're not brave enough to leave something like that. If their life turned out to be a huge lie. I mean, imagine it -- everything in your life would be there to entertain people who weren't part of a show. Who had a freedom you didn't have. Movie Forums here would be a part of the show if it was happening to you.

This is my point. It's what happens afterwards that's the story. How do people react to him? How does he react? Can he interact with people? Does he take legal action? Does he hate people? Can he trust? Do they try and do another Truman Show with another baby? How does society/people react to seeing the affect this has had on Truman? What questions are asked? Can he deal with the fame?

We could get some idea from the Big Brother contests since 1999/2000, but it's not close to being the same.
No, Big Brother is nothing like The Truman Show.

I agree what you're saying would be interesting to see happen, but what if there isn't much of a story? What if he leaves and immediately commits suicide or something like that? Or some psycho fan kills him? I mean, of course you can make up a story, but that's kind of a point, I feel, too -- you could make up many different scenarios about what becomes of Truman when he's free.

But if you focus on Truman before he leaves, I think it's more limited. It's mainly about the realization that his world has been staged and should he leave or not. Then, if he decides to leave, your mind can fill in the blanks. Everyone can write their own story about what happens afterwards.

The Truman Show as it is, as it was made, would probably be stupid focusing on what happens afterwards. Especially since the film was so comical and corny. What more could they do? Or maybe I'm wrong and it would be more of a laugh riot. But then, how does it end? Maybe they could have done something where he leaves, hates the new world, and tries to get back onto his show. That could have been interesting. You mentioned Big Brother -- some of those Big Brother contestants, in the American version, have played the game several times. Maybe there's some secret part of them that PREFERS the show. Loves being watched 24/7. Loves the isolation.

Hell, the same could be said for people on this website who are always on it. Why aren't they spending more time away from here?

The Truman Show is fine but like others, I echo the statement of potential above execution.

Master of My Domain
Okay, time to finish this thing. For my Top 10 to 6 I will post 2 movies per set then I'll post only one movie.

10. Requiem for a Dream

Requiem for a Dream is probably the only movie I like that leaves me super depressed at the end. It shows how good this film really is. The portrayal of drug addiction is really honest, disturbing, not afraid of controversy and has everything about what I like about Aronofsky. This film isn't just a message about "don't do drugs",it's a powerful drama about the tragic downfall of innocent people. The build-up is so powerful you can't help but cry at the end scene. Beyond the disturbance and the rapid editing is a brilliant piece of cinema. Definetly not overrated.

9. Fargo

A lot can happen in the middle of nowhere, as this film proves. The setting of the middle of a small town is already one of the many genius and amusing choices the Coen brothers make in Fargo. If a movie was made with the same story and same type of characters, but set in a big city it would've have been a totally different experience, mostly likely a negative one. And the fact that a few misunderstanding can cause so much action and happenings is funny too. The dialogue is simple, doesn't try to be smart and witty or anything but is written with trademark Coen brothers quirkiness, darkly hilarious humor and delivered perfectly by the all the actors. 94 minutes fly really fast in this masterpiece.

Master of My Domain
Finally you decided to like all the films on a set. That took way too long.

Two excellent films. Requiem For a Dream will be in my own top 100 when I update it and Fargo was in my last one (probably still in my top 150).

A lot can happen in the middle of nowhere, as this film proves. The setting of the middle of a small town is already one of the many genius and amusing choices the Coen brothers make in Fargo. If a movie was made with the same story and same type of characters, but set in a big city it would've have been a totally different experience, mostly likely a negative one. And the fact that a few misunderstanding can cause so much action and happenings is funny too. The dialogue is simple, doesn't try to be smart and witty or anything but is written with trademark Coen brothers quirkiness, darkly hilarious humor and delivered perfectly by the all the actors.
This describes the majority of the Coen Brothers' films

Master of My Domain
8. The Blues Brothers

When I first saw The Blues Brothers, I was baffled by it, at first not knowing whether it was in a good way or not. I had never seen a film like this before. I had a few rematches and I realized that by baffling was a sign that I truly loved it. The entire movie is basically one huge chase, similar to Fargo a few events trigger so many hilarious events, including piles of case you would most likely see in a junkyard, and entire army, and another crazy awesome sh*t.

Some people say the musical numbers kind of interfere with the film, but it is the main reason why I love the film. It lets you sit down and relax for a moment from all the chases happening all around. I'm also a huge fan of jazz/blues music, so that's a another reason why I like the music.

If you want pure and real fun, I highly recommend this film with you. And when I say real, I mean real. The cars, the huge amount of people, the waste is all real, no CGI involved. The film is driven with real and raw fun and entertaining craziness. Brilliant.

7. The Network

My favorite film from my favorite director (big spoiler for those following my Top Directors Thread ). It used to be 12 Angry Men, but it hasn't been holding up on repeating viewings. On the other hand, The Network is a film the more I watch, the more I realize its a masterpiece. The acting brilliant, the satirical elements sharp, and script diverse.

Speaking of the script, the diversity is because it can at one moment it can be a hilarious scene, then the next one right after can be a powerful drama with so much tension that doesn't give you time to breathe.

The cinematography and direction is maximized to show the raw emotions of the actors. It perfectly shows and the dread, the downfalls, everything. It makes the satire more effective, and the drama really great.

Overall, such a great film. Needs a few rewatches, but totally worth it.

48. Mad Max

A classic speedy, hardcore brutal action movie that manages to be so without going messily over-the-top like many imitators do.
Is that the original Mad Max you're talking about, or Mad Max 2: Road Warrior? The picture you linked is from Road Warrior.

I thought the original one was the best movie (I thought the maniacal villain characters were really well-played), even though the style was a lot more dated than the sequel.