Camo's Movie Log

→ in
Tools    

@Camo I haven't seen Certified Copy in close to five years so I won't be able to give you evidence but I came down on the opposite side as you. I just think there are too many familiar things said for them not to have known each other. Good write up and I am glad you are enjoying Kiarastomi. Try Taste Of Cherry next. I absolutely get sucked in by that ambiguous dialouge. I think Farhadi structures his scripts very similarly, and that's why I like him so much.

I gave you rep because I am happy you're back but The Revenant is terrible? You better get your act together buddy.

I will be watching those two 30's films you're creaming over, and I also have A Buttersweet Life on my watchlist.
I'd highly recommend watching the original by Jee-woon Kim rather than this weak American knock-off about subsisting purely on a diet of cupcakes

I'd highly recommend watching the original by Jee-woon Kim rather than this weak American knock-off about subsisting purely on a diet of cupcakes
Of course I screw up words on purpose and then screw them up by accident

I gave you rep because I am happy you're back but The Revenant is terrible? You better get your act together buddy.
What I remember most about The Revenant was the CGI bear!

Welcome to the human race...
I've seen The Revenant twice now and I'm inclined to agree with the idea that it is "kinda" terrible (if not necessarily completely terrible, though I wouldn't argue too hard with someone who thought it was). I reckon the main flaw is that it's not really saying anything of worth underneath its visuals and two main performances (which is all anyone ever seems to talk about when praising the movie), which makes the fact that it's so heavily fictionalised sting so much more since you question if this is the best material the writers could make up. People took Gravity to task for being extremely light on substance beneath its visual spectacle but I don't think The Revenant is especially different in that regard.

Light on theme equals terrible movie. Not sure why that's true. I would say most movies are pretty light in the theme department. The Revenant is a straightforward revenge flick done beautifully. If you don't like revenge movies, great acting, and unbelievable cinematography fair enough. Don't really understand the other criticism though.

I've seen The Revenant twice now and I'm inclined to agree with the idea that it is "kinda" terrible (if not necessarily completely terrible, though I wouldn't argue too hard with someone who thought it was).

I reckon the main flaw is that it's not really saying anything of worth underneath its visuals and two main performances (which is all anyone ever seems to talk about when praising the movie),

It doesn't need to say anything relevant or have a deeper moral/theme meaning. The film works as Sean said, by sheer will power to survive and the human need for revenge. It's a simple, yet powerful emotion to use for a movie, remember these are simple men and so we don't need anything deeper from them.

By taking the viewer into the world of 19th century fur trappers and by shooting on location in winter along with a more spartan character development the viewer gets a view back into time, that to me seemed very authentic. A stronger character arch or deeper underlying statement would eroded the stark beauty of the film and it's simplicity beauty....I'm a firm believer in less is more.

If The Revenant has one flaw it's the survival scene with the horse over the cliff, that needed to be cut, as it was just one too many survival scenarios.

People took Gravity to task for being extremely light on substance beneath its visual spectacle but I don't think The Revenant is especially different in that regard.
Gravity, looked great but was about as believable as a Tom and Jerry cartoon.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
is the original under the same name?

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
went back and checked out your recent reviews. . . repped away but had to skip a number of them I haven't seen yet. (see, I'm learning. . . most times) VERY curious about Make Way For Tomorrow; will have to search that one out.

VERY glad to see you enjoyed Bittersweet Life. Agree how he was forever struggling and never appeared as the usual hero fighting back. Big fan of Kim Sun-woo. First time I saw him was in The Good, The Bad, and The Weird. A Korean tip of the hat to the spaghetti western which i REALLY need to get a version of.

I did about the same and bowed out of the Potter series somewhere around Prisoners and never seemed to go back. Maybe I'll to a binge someday. . .

Saw that you're looking through the 30's -- nice! I'd recommend a few but saw them already mentioned in your 30's thread.

I was exaggerating about The Revenant being terrible kinda, it just completely lost me after the bear attack and i'm not that interested in seeing it again but i will at some point.

I found some of the changes to what actually happened hilarious. Him not having a native son being the obvious one, he also didn't stop the evil French from raping a native; they actually helped him get back. Man, what a slap in the face haha. The best one is that he apparently made it back to Fitzgerald who had joined the army so he was unable to kill him and just kind of left

Obviously i'm not taking any of that into account it was all necessary just found it funny.

@Camo I haven't seen Certified Copy in close to five years so I won't be able to give you evidence but I came down on the opposite side as you. I just think there are too many familiar things said for them not to have known each other. Good write up and I am glad you are enjoying Kiarastomi. Try Taste Of Cherry next. I absolutely get sucked in by that ambiguous dialouge. I think Farhadi structures his scripts very similarly, and that's why I like him so much.
That's awesome, i seriously felt i was being really dumb when i was considering it so glad to see someone thinks it's the case even though i don't. Well i don't even think it can be figured out as he's given plenty of evidence for and against both scenarios. Love Farhadi too, going to watch The Salesman soon.

Chungking Express
+

Watched this last year, i liked it alot but had problems with it; more me not being able to get into things rather than actual flaws. Decided to rewatch it after randomly hearing California Dreamin' at a friends house haha and everything clicked. Probably my favourite film, perfect.

Incendies

Loved this because it had excellent performances and was very powerful. I do think it was flawed though, some of it was very hard to swallow.

Firstly i guessed the twist fairly early on, which wasn't that big of a problem as it wasn't just about that and also i wasn't entirely sure of it until it was actually revealed. The things that bugged me a bit were the very convenient coincidences, most of all: Abou Tareq just so happening to get sent to interrogate her, if it turned out he was deliberately sent there because his bosses knew he was her son to inflict additional mental torture on her i would have accepted that. Obviously that wasn't the case tho as it's never mentioned and also she only found out years later by coincidence which would defeat the purpose of harming her with it. While the odds of her and her son following these paths that lead to this are small it is something that i could accept because at least they where in the same country. Which brings me to the worst one, her managing to bump into him at a random pool in Canada, that was ridiculous. If it was standalone i'd maybe take it easier but in addition to that early one i was bothered by it.

Another problem i had while watching was the ages of everyone not seeming right. I've thought about it more and i think it about passes, forgot that she was in prison for 15 years at first. I still think they should have use an older looking Abou for the pool scene though, as he didn't look much older than he was during the rape scene which had to have been 20+ years earlier considering the ages of Jeanne and Simon.

I still liked this alot, those were just some of the problems i had with it. Lubna Azabal gave one of my favourite performances of this decade.

The Raid

The action in this was outstanding, i did get a little bored at times tho as that is all there is basically. Heard the second has a bit more of a plot so maybe i'll like that one more.

Mission Impossible

Man, this is alot of fun. Haven't watched it in years, like 15 or something. The plot is dumb and ridiculous and convoluted but who cares, it's just an excuse to have Cruise do crazy things and i'm thankful for it. Thing is for a big dumb action movie the conflict is set up surprisingly well, nothing amazing but in addition to the action which everybody is there to see those first 30 minutes are really good at setting up the conflict. It's actually pretty brutal; you've been introduced to this close-knit team all of which seem like genuine friends not just colleagues and even during the mission they are all jokey and then within a couple of minutes four of them brutally die. As i said it's not outstanding but i at least came to like and was looking forward to more from them all (well except from the one who was blown up in her car as she didn't really do anything) which made it effective in getting you on Ethans side. Of course after that it goes nutty with people coming back from the dead essentially making all of that pointless and hilariously dumb internet/bible stuff, don't care though it's entertaining and by the point all of that starts happening it has already got my interest. Tom Cruise is so good at this sort of thing, i don't think he's that good of an actor but at playing action stars he's great. The action in this may be outdated but it's still fun, one of my favourite things is how goofy the effects on the train/helicopter scene are. Anyway, really liked this other than a few lulls. Planning on watching the rest of the series.

Mission Impossible II
-

The first one i barely remembered, this one came back to me right away though as i remembered hating it as a kid; still don't like it. It's ridiculous and cheesy, not in a fun way like the first though, mostly in an eyerolling way. The romance is godawful , it would be acceptable if it was a side plot but it's the main conflict, Thandie Newton isn't actually that bad she clearly plays what she was supposed to the problem is that her character is terribly written. The thing is badly done romance in a film like this doesn't need to be a problem, i certainly don't expect it to be done well but this is genuinely offputting and it's such a big part of the film. The villains and dialogue were really bad too. It was saved a little by Cruise outside of the romance parts and some of the action but overall pretty weak.

The Blue Angel
+

Man this was such a weird, depressing, uncomfortable film, i liked it. It was difficult to accept the professor being so transfixed on Lola that his life would be this drastically altered on its own and Jannings performance was a mixed bag which didn't make it any easier, this was my biggest problem. Dietrich was amazing and it was shot masterfully though. I also did like the tragic comedy aspect it was just portrayed a little too goofy at times or this could have been a favourite. As i said Dietrich was amazing, she certainly played her part in making it believable that a man was so hypnotized by her; it was Jannings fault that it didn't entirely work, he played it almost as if he was drugged at times then at other times as if he was a bashful teenager and it was in a very cartoonish way that took me out of it. I said his performance was a mixed bag because i did think he did a good job in the last half an hour or so when he started resenting being there yet wasn't able to leave, losing his mind and going from someone of stature to a source of ridicule. Think if i could get over Jannings during the first hour or so this could become a favourite as it does so much so well.

I agree about Chunking. Hell of a film.
Just updated my favourites . Don't really have a top ten anymore and those are ten of my favourites so whatever, plus i have been wanting to see Chungking again even tho i just watched it two weeks ago.

Yah, i know. I'm not being fair but The Warrens make that film completely ridiculous for me
Ok now I remember you mentioning the Warrens in the past.

I still need to see Chunky Express and I'd like to see The Blue Angel when I get to the 30's. Remind me dammit!

Ok now I remember you mentioning the Warrens in the past.

I still need to see Chunky Express and I'd like to see The Blue Angel when I get to the 30's. Remind me dammit!
As i've said to you before i think Chunky Express reminds me of Goodfellas so i'd be surprised if you don't at least like it. Scorsese was a massive influence on WKW and he's the only one who challenges Scorsese at his use of music for me, the soundtrack is the best. As i said i rewatched it after randomly hearing California Dreamin' which is used heavily in the film.

The Blue Angel is a very weird film, i think you'd like that too.

These are the last films i watched when i wasn't posting, sorry for the spam haha. Can't be bothered posting about them so if you want my thoughts ask. *=rewatch

Ghostbusters* -

North By Northwest* -
+

Junun -

Virunga -
+

The Proposition -

My Cousin Vinny* -
+

Marley & Me -

Underworld (1927) -

Woman of Tokyo -