Who actually bothered to go IMAX to watch The Dark Knight?

Tools    

The Dark Knight was partially shot using IMAX cam.eras to those of us who actually care. I made a concious effort to see Christopher Nolan's near masterpiece in the way he intended - on the IMAX format. The man pulled off some Stanley Kubrick level **** with those cameras.This was my first time at the BFI IMAX...and I was blown away. The way I see it if you haven't seen it in IMAX you haven't seen the film.

So hands up who actually bothered to go IMAX?

Welcome to the human race...
Technically speaking, I didn't intend to see it in IMAX, but yes, I did end up watching it on IMAX. Front row seat = whoa.

Technically speaking, I didn't intend to see it in IMAX, but yes, I did end up watching it on IMAX. Front row seat = whoa.
Oh dear...not the best place to sit, mate.

Well because the screen is very huge and i'm sure you got neck what with having to tilt your head up.

Only thing that seems to play on IMAX here is: Magic of Flight, which is nice and all, but yeah.

I, too saw TDK in a normal, regular movie theatre, but it sounds like an interesting film to watch on IMAX also. The only trouble is, however, is the the two IMAX theatres in our general area are pretty far west in suburbia, so I'm not crazy about going out there.

Well because the screen is very huge and i'm sure you got neck what with having to tilt your head up.
Got neck? Hehe, interesting turn of phrase. Actually, I didn't have any problems. Granted, it took a minute or so to get used to watching it but that's about it.

Ok I'll bite, whats the difference between the Imax experience and Normal? Not with this film but full stop. Thats right im arrogant and ignorant. Complete package ladies.

IMAX is overrated...
Why do you say that?

IMAX has a special projector screen that's more advanced than the projectors at normal cinemas, which means you get a higher resolution than you normally would.

But yeah, the main difference is the IMAX screen is MASSIVE. The BFI IMAX in London is about 22 metres high and 27 metres wide -the idea is for it to take up your entire field of vision so that the screen is all you know. The sound is as big as the screen too are much more crips and louder than normal cinema sound system. Imagine DTS but amplified. It's an incredibly immersive experience.

Most films are just converted to IMAX, but where The Dark Knight differs is that key sequences were shot using IMAX cameras which are 70 as opposed to the usual 35 mm used for most films. As a result of using IMAX technology, certain scenes appear FULL framed on the IMAX screen, making it larger than ever. And the picture quality is even sharper. Almost HD quality.

I loved that Nolan did that. He believes, and naturally, I agree, that the older you get the harder it is to take an individual out of the element when it comes to experiencing a film. The only way to combat that is a bigger, sharper screen with unparallel sound. Simple but so very effective.

Forgot to mention this, but at this particular theatre there was a fairly large distance between the front row and the screen. Not so much need for head-tilting.

The IMAX was great but I wished they would have used it more. Yes, the shots through the cities, especially Honk Kong were breathe taking but I wish they would have had more action sequences shot in IMAX. Like when Batman jumps off the building in Honk Kong, that was definitely worth the price of IMAX admission.

The IMAX was great but I wished they would have used it more. Yes, the shots through the cities, especially Honk Kong were breathe taking but I wish they would have had more action sequences shot in IMAX. Like when Batman jumps off the building in Honk Kong, that was definitely worth the price of IMAX admission.

Erm, from what I can remember, that rooftop jump was one of the IMAX scenes, wasn't it?

Sadly No, It's One Of My Favorite Movies And Would've Been Glad To Pay For It To See In IMAX, But Sadly I Don't Have An IMAX Theater Anywhere Near Me.