SHOGUN (Hulu)

Tools    

Shogun by James Clavell is my favorite book. I only read it because a friend urged me too, and I didn't expect much because I thought Samurai were already a trodden path with all the martial arts movies I'd seen.

Mind-blown. The first time I looked at what page I was on was around 200, and I am not a speed reader. For those of you old enough you might remember an old TV limited series adaptation with Richard Chamberlain. If you haven't seen it then be thankful because it was cringeworthy. To be fair it wasn't even possible for tv back then to be able to tackle a storyline with such depth, sudden horror, and intrigue.

I'm watching the new adaptation now, and amazed like I was when first reading it. Today adaptations have come a long way, but this one seems even more spot-on than usual. The recent adaptation of The Stand (another fav) takes a far backseat to what Shoguns accomplishing. This is art, and yet pleasing to a wide audience too. I encourage you to go into it with a clear mind, and enjoy.

I also thought the credit intros beginning in episode 2 were reminiscent of GoT and Westworld.

Oh, and they cast Mariko perfectly. The actress is doing a better job than what I envisioned the character being.

I recall the original 1980 miniseries, and thought it was good. Of course 44 years later they could presumably make a much better rendering of the novel.

Is it true they story a female samurai? That would have been impossible in 16th Century Japan.

Is it true they story a female samurai? That would have been impossible in 16th Century Japan.
As far as I know, there were female samurai/warriors in Japan during and before the 16th century. It was at the beginning of the 17th when that changed.

I will read that book.

As far as I know, there were female samurai/warriors in Japan during and before the 16th century. It was at the beginning of the 17th when that changed.
I'd be interested to see a source on that. To my knowledge it wouldn't even have been thinkable to have a female warrior in ancient Japan, which is the way it should be today everywhere.

I found a bunch of sources with just a quick, cursory Googling.

I actually would've replied in the same vein sooner but I was in a hurry and thought there was a tiny chance the objection was just to it happening during the time period in question, not to it ever happening at all.

I'd be interested to see a source on that. To my knowledge it wouldn't even have been thinkable to have a female warrior in ancient Japan, which is the way it should be today everywhere.

It was true that women could be Samurai. It wasn't a title given to just sword weilders, but anyone that lived by the code, Bushido. They would commit sepuku if dishonored and permitted too.

https://www.travelcontentcreators.com/female-samurai/

https://japanfans.nl/en/bushido/

Hoping everyone is enjoying the series. I certainly am. A huge book I read twice long ago, and still is my favorite to this day. Since I already know how the story unfolds I'm slowly watching the series, only an episode a week, savoring it. I'm 2 episodes behind, and so far it's the best book adaptation I've ever seen.

I'm watching the new adaptation now, and amazed like I was when first reading it. Today adaptations have come a long way, but this one seems even more spot-on than usual. The recent adaptation of The Stand (another fav) takes a far backseat to what Shoguns accomplishing. This is art, and yet pleasing to a wide audience too. I encourage you to go into it with a clear mind, and enjoy.
Someone asked me today if I’m watching it. I’m not though he said it’s excellent.

It was true that women could be Samurai. It wasn't a title given to just sword weilders, but anyone that lived by the code, Bushido. They would commit sepuku if dishonored and permitted too.

https://www.travelcontentcreators.com/female-samurai/

https://japanfans.nl/en/bushido/
Cheers, Tongo. I never would have guessed that.

Someone asked me today if I’m watching it. I’m not though he said it’s excellent.

Please give it a chance, one episode should be all you'd need to know.

Please give it a chance, one episode should be all you'd need to know.
Is there a lead actor whom I may know?

Thought thered be some commentary after this latest episode. Hopefully this isnt a sign few people are watching Shogun. For me it's right up there with the first season of Westworld and True Detective.

I'm just a few episodes behind. It's a weird mix of "very very good" but "not the kind of thing I feel the need to watch immediately." It's possible this is more about me than the show.