Minority Report

→ in
Tools    

Good flick.

Not a masterpiece that can go toe-to-toe with BladeRunner or 12 Monkeys, but for me easily the best movie Spielberg has made in years. Crusie is quite good, Jon Cohen & Scott Frank's screenplay keeps the solid basics of the P.K. Dick story in tact, exemplary effects, not an especially intricate narrative or one that examines the underlying moral issues in much depth but also not too dumbed-down for mass consumption (not that the "mystery" aspect will be all that mysterious to most viewers), a couple really good action setpieces that thankfully don't resort to Woo-style or Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon-type action (Geeze, am I gettin' sick to death of that), and all around just a good mainstream Sci-Fi movie.

It has a couple flaws too, mostly minor things, that I'll be happy to discuss a bit as more people see it in coming weeks, but definitely get your money's worth. Yeah.

Good flick.

Grade: B
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by Holden Pike
It has a couple flaws too, mostly minor things, that I'll be happy to discuss a bit as more people see it in coming weeks...
You mean like, plot holes and things of that nature? I could spot 'em in the trailer. I'm still excited to see it.

Guy
I really liked this film. I agree that it's not a masterpiece, but a very engaging sci-fi.

No, Sades, not plot holes. Don't know what you think you've spotted in the trailer, but Minority Report adheres to its own internal logic well.

The problems I had were more of the tone variety, where the cutsey crowd-pleasin' Spielberg crept in just a little, but enough to take me out of the movie in a few spots. Not nearly as distracting as the major chunks that fell flat for me in A.I., but flaws just the same.

Further in the minor quibble department, there are also two noticeable overdubs where harsher language was re-recorded, to get from an R to a PG-13 I imagine. The first one, with the always wonderful Peter Stormare's fantastic little character piece, is the silliest to me. But whatever. None of these kinds of things ruin the movie per se, just tarnish it a litttle for me.

In the supporting cast, who were all good, Stormare (the non-talkative kidnapper in Fargo) and Tim Blake Nelson (Dlemar in O Brother, Where Art Thou?) were the real standouts, even though their roles are essentially only cameo-sized.

Are Guy and I the only ones here who saw it opening day?

Nope. At least, Sully said he was gonna check it out on opening day...and write a review, too. I reckon he probably did. I would've seen it today, 'cept I know someone who'd like to see it and can't make it until Sunday. Sounds like a must-see, though, one way or another.

haha no holden, you know that as soon as i woke up today i got ready to see this movie, too bad i woke up at 3.

This was a great great movie, the best Sci-fi in a long time. And Speilberg did a really good job. The cinematography was perfect. The action scenes were phenominal. The acting was top-notch. Go see this movie NOW!

PS - i didnt get there in time for the previews, so i didnt se the daredevil teaser. I just might hafta go again gosh darnit!
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

YES. I have seen this film. I am writing a review. Commissioner, it is en route.

So. I saw it opening night, 10:10 pm showing. I'm disappointed just a bit. Basically, the first hour is so fascinating to me, that the last third just doesn't live up. Regardless, I recommend it to any and everyone who even has half an interest in movies, because Spielberg, as much as some folks would like to deny it, is in FULL CONTROL of the art form. there are a few sequences that are just breathtaking. I really enjoyed the flick a lot - I think it was pure Spielbergian bliss. The fact that it left Spielberg's shortcomings showing doesn't bother me too much. Everyone should see it.

Also, I think it's really sad that either Attack of the Clones or Spiderman will win an oscar for special effects, when this is clearly the most remarkable example of their power this year.

yes by far,bu tone of the reasons is that this movie uses a trick, where instead of trying to make the cg look real it sometimes tries to make the people look like cg and it works a lot better, i jst hope nobody copies it.

After seeing "Minority Report" yesterday, I must say that while it's a good movie, it's being overrated. First, the movie goes downhill in the last third, and the ending is a dud (as are many of Spielberg's endings since he became a "dramatic" director). Second, instead of going the serious-movie route, Spielberg should have gone for the carnival fun-house atmosphere of Paul Verhoeven's "Total Recall." Now, that was a mind blower!

I have a question for those who have seen it, so those who haven't may want to stop here.

WARNING: "Minority Report" spoilers below
OK, you've been warned. Here goes: After the movie was over, I wasn't sure why Tom Cruise had been framed. I though maybe it had to do with the female pre-cog (sp?) and her mother, but all of that only came out DURING Cruise's investigation of his framing, not before. So why was he framed in the first place?

If anyone has the answer, you can write me a private message so we don't give away more details. Thanks.

Steve

ADMIN EDIT: ADDED SPOILER TAGS TO YOUR POST, CHECK THE THREAD I LINKED TO, THEY ARE YOU FRIEND

Radioactive Spider Blood
I think that Cruise was being framed in the first place because Burgess wanted PreCrime to fail... if you remember the scene with whats-her-name... the PreCog design woman.. she said she and Burgess didn't like the way that PreCrime was currently running. So, if Burgess framed the top PreCrime Cop Anderton, people would see that it was corrupt or didn't work.

Now here's my question:

If the PreCogs could see premeditated murders earlier than spur of the moment ones, why did Anderton's kill appear so early? It wasn't premeditated at all. The only thing I could think is that Anderton had planned to kill the person who had kidnapped his son, no matter who it was, making it somewhat premeditated.

"Chances are, if your parents didn't have any kids, then you won't either."

Anderton was looking into that murder early on in the film...he was framed very shortly afterwards.

As for pre-meditation: you're absolutely right. Ebert said the same thing and I've been unable to come up with any real explanation.

WARNING: "[I" spoilers below
Minority Report[/i]]Weird. Exactly what I had to say.

By all logic, Anderton's murder or Crowe would have been a red ball, having not known the man up until five minutes before the murder was supposed to take place. But by that logic, the original ball would have never come from the pre-cogs and hence Anderton wouldn't have seen the murder and hence trigger the chain of events that would lead to it.

My explanation is that it was a premeditated murder, just not the murder of Crowe specifically. As Anderton looks at the photos of Sean of the bed, he says something along the lines of "For six years I've thought of only two things: Sean, and what I would do to the man who had killed him..."

So in a way, I argue, the murder was premeditated, thus covering that base. But yeah. That's my two cents.

I enjoyed the film and I suggest people see it, and I will be seeing it again, as I missed the very, very opening (came in as Agatha was having the vision of the murder that we've all seen prevented in the trailer).

Effects, grand. Character actors and the roles they had, grander. The ending fell flat, and I would have liked to see it end elsewhere:

WARNING: "[i" spoilers below
Minority Report[/i]] It would have been nice to have seen it end as Cruise was locked away. Ended on a bitter and twisted final note...

The highlight for me was Samantha Morton's Agatha.
The character of Agatha and just the way that she did it really got to me, I don't know why.

But, yes.
To go on further would be silly.

To reiterate:
Good flick.

It was a good movie, but i wished i had waited untill Tuesday to watch it.

Its not like this movie left me talking about if outside the theatre

If you haven't seen Minority Report, don't read along.

The reason Precrime is getting investigated is because of flaws it may contain. One such is if people they caught before a forseen murder wasn't going to do it in the first place and is innocent. All the Pre-cog's see is murder, when someone thinks murder, they predict what may happen, not what will happen. With Agitha, she saw a murder which happened with John Anderton. She herself was in the picture and knew that going there would lead to knowledge on her mothers death if he didn't kill the man who was placed to frame Anderton. You see, if wasn't about his murder, but the other one. Remember in the mall, she knew a way to avoid the cops, so she knew...

Hey, guy, please use the spoiler tags. Haven't you read any of the other posts on this thread?

It's a helluva lot easier (and quicker) than writing out a warning, and it hides all the stuff from the view of those who have yet to see the flick. Like me.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Alright, I broke down and went to see this tonight.

Started at 6:40, and I got there a little early. Well, 6:40 came and went, and no movie. Finally, roughly twenty minutes later, the movie starts, but with all the trailers before it.

If that wasn't frustrating enough, about ten minutes before the flick was over, the slide show they run advertising local businesses started up right in the middle of the screen. UGH.

Flick itself, wonderful, awesome. Maybe I'm overexaggerating the whole thing, but I enjoyed it very much. I wanted to finger the guy right away, but I didn't want to assume early on and end up hating the whole movie on account of I got the wrong guy.

Whoever said something about the wooden balls, pay more attention next time. There was a perfect reasoning behind their meaning.

Here's one thing I didn't understand though:
After Anderton has his eyes replaced, and he sneaks back into PreCrime, why does he attempt to take both eyes out of the bag, when all he would've needed was one?

Other than that, I thought the way everything played out was amazing. A definite must-see.

Grade: B+
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

because it wouldnt have mattered either way... why does that bother you?