The Best Movie Ever

Tools    

there is doubt that Jay and Silent Bob is the greatest moive of all time.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
And you would be wrong.

Expand your horizon past movies of 2001
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

What an audacious post...

"THE BEST MOVIE EVER!"

And then you go and kill it by mentioning... Jay and Silent Bob.

We should have a debate about it though. First of all work out the greatest movie of each decade until we come to an agreement then debate the winners from each century.

Let's start with the 90s...

Schindler's List
Life is Beautiful
Toy Story
American Beauty
The Shawshank Redemption
ADD NOMINEES IF YOU THINK THEY DESERVE CONSIDERATION...

They're my contenders. They're not my favourite movies of the decade (City Slickers is) but they are the ones I think most will agree are the best.

Schindler's List... because it's the pinnacle of the career of the most popular filmmaker of the last three decades, Mr. Spielberg. It's a harrowing experience and it sticks with you long after it finishes.

Life is Beautiful... the best foreign film of the decade? It moved me more than any other film in the 90s and I don't know of any other movie that has been able to balance slapstick comedy and dangerous tragedy so well.

Toy Story... three of the biggest box office hits of the last 12 months were Shrek, Monsters Inc. and Ice Age. Toy Story began this trend. It was the most important movie of the nineties. And maybe the best.

American Beauty... It has its detractors, but those who fell for it adored it. I think it's a great entertainment with a sentimental but beautiful conclusion.

The Shawshank Redemption... An early favourite? Dismissed upon release, it has gathered a cult following. It is definitely a great movie and I love it but is it only remembered so fondly because of the twist. I hope not.

Umm.. this topic is not open to debate Jay and Silent Bob is the greatest movie ever. Accept it and move on.

You start with the '90s and don't mention The Silence of the Lambs?

There are too many "good" movies to really narrow it down. I mean the best movie ever. What movie has made the biggest impact, kept the audience interested, and brought em back for more?

This would depend on how we're going to gauge things. Are we going by best of each genre? I mean, are we snubbing the Academy's unwritten "only nominate films for Best Picture if they make you cry" policy that seems to rear its head each year? If we are, The Matrix has to be on this list...I think it's a remarkable sci-fi flick. I think Terminator 2 is worthy as well. And I'm with Spud on SOTL...

Ok get off my thread this thread is only for those that live for Jay and who belive that Affleck is the bomb in Phantoms

I thought April Fool's Day was Monday.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

This thread is still goin so nominate some movies for the best movie ever. Kinda work it like a bracket. Put two movies up against each other, pick the better one of the two, advance one...and so on and so fourth...only one decade at a time til we have a numero uno "BEST" movie.

The Matrix should be a contender for best movie of the 90s. The best movie is one that had the impact of changing cinema whether for the good or for the bad. And The Matrix definitely changed the face of cinema.

I was going to say The Silence of The Lambs but what did it actually do to cinema to warrant the title of best movie of the 90s. I think it's a great film but not the best of the 90s.

Now that I think about it, American Beauty doesn't deserve a nomination. Replace that with The Matrix. American Beauty was great but a similar film like The Ice Storm preceded it. There was nothing ever like The Matrix that I had seen before.

Ok, so go through and list the top movies of the 90s, regardless of what kind of impact they had and whatnot, and we'll narrow the list down to one and then move onto the '80s, narrow that list down to one, move onto the '70s, and so on and so fourth.

But by that logic, BigVal, Pulp Fiction was much more influential than The Matrix.

Anywho, between The Matrix and Pulp Fiction, my vote definitely goes to GoodFellas.

I'm not too keen on that criteria; I think a movie should be given extra points if it started a new trend, or something of the sort, but I don't think we should exclude films that didn't. Because we could be ignoring masterpieces for experimental theater.

So...we have...so far (in no particular order):
  • The Matrix
  • Schindler's List
  • Toy Story
  • Life is Beautiful
  • The Shawshank Redemption
  • American Beauty
  • The Silence of the Lambs
  • Terminator 2: Judgement Day
  • Jurassic Park
  • Pulp Fiction
  • GoodFellas

we'll keep this list updated, then when we have shall we say twenty, we'll work em down to one.

Pulp Fiction was definitely a trend setter too.

Goodfellas may have been Scorsese at his most incredible and it's the best gangster movie by a long shot, but why is it the best movie of the 90s?

My vote would go to Toy Story. That movie made traditional animation look old fashioned. It started a whole new industry. In years to come, when movie fans look back at the 90s, I think this is the movie they're going to remember.

Goodfellas is often not remembered as part of the 90s pack, maybe because it was so early in the decade. And Pulp Fiction can be picked apart for criticism. There's a lot of good with the bad there. The Matrix is pretty much an average action movie done with a whole lot of style and eye-opening special effects.

Toy Story had a great story and great cast and it was made by filmmakers who aspire to perfection. It was made for kids but never dumbed down for them. It was dark and scary. It was the pinnacle of the buddy-movie genre. And it looked beautiful.

Best movie implies subjectivity. But what we're trying to do is all agree on one movie that we would bury in the ground for future generations to remember the 90s by.

My vote is Toy Story.

My top ten favorites of the 90s (in order) are:

1. Instinct
2. Seven
3. Men in Black
4. Braveheart
5. The Matrix
6. Jurassic Park
7. American Beauty
8. Independence Day
9. Mission:Impossible
10. A Few Good Men

I hate to be the bearer of bad news Fire, but three of those were released in 2000 and up.

So we have now:
  • The Matrix
  • Schindler's List
  • Toy Story
  • Life is Beautiful
  • The Shawshank Redemption
  • American Beauty
  • The Silence of the Lambs
  • Terminator 2: Judgement Day
  • Jurassic Park
  • Pulp Fiction
  • GoodFellas
  • Instinct
  • Braveheart
  • Men in Black
  • Seven
  • Independence Day
  • A Few Good Men
  • Mission: Impossible

Keep addin to it til we get 20, as it stands, we have 18.