$71 - $80 million
9.52%
2 votes
$81 - $90 million
52.38%
11 votes
It'll beat Potter's $90.3 million
21 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Yep, exactly...though I didn't think that before. Before this weekend, I didn't think it would top either...but now that Friday's numbers are available (see: Spider-Man's Friday Estimates Are In), it looks to demolish Potter's opening weekend record. I don't think it has the longevity to come anywhere near the $300-320 million it would need to threaten Potter, though.

I see $250 million as more likely, though it might barely crack $200 million if AOTC draws a lot of folks away from it. Spider-Man's long-term outlook could swing anywhere from $200 to $280 million, IMO, depending on how the public reacts to the new Star Wars flick.

Like people aren't going to love AOTC - I have not seen one negative review.

It's basically official. Congratulations to all involved with the flick...they've done a helluva job with the casting, production, special effects work, and DEFINITELY with the marketing.

where i live, which is in edmonton canada, every theatre that showed spidey pretty much sold out or had a pack house on every screen they were showing the show every hour at SilverCity and u still had to get advance tix

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I was kinda hopin to find a post by Chris with him saying that it wouldn't beat Potter, simply so I couldd say "I told you so".

Didn't find one, but I don't think I have to say anything...

Spider-Man HAS legs, and he is a usin them.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Yeah, but Spidey has already proven to be a strong movie. Yes, Episode 2 will knock it around, but by then it won't really matter. They've already made back what it cost to make the movie roughly, it can just coast along now.

Originally posted by spudracer
I was kinda hopin to find a post by Chris with him saying that it wouldn't beat Potter, simply so I couldd say "I told you so".

Didn't find one, but I don't think I have to say anything...

Spider-Man HAS legs, and he is a usin them.
The movie has been out 4 days and you're saying it has legs?

Are you saying it doesn't? I mean it's already broken records and gone to the top of the pedastal. Only thing that'll slow it down is AOTC.

Spiderman made 114m dollars in one normal start on a friday weekend! Can you believe this? I wonder if this is gonna be the biggest movie ever? Clones aint got nuthin on this!

It won't come anywhere near being the biggest movie ever...not domestically, and not worldwide, either. The biggest long-term hits do not rely on huge openings. Never forget this: The Scorpion King grossed more than Titanic if you only count its first three days ofrelease.

"Fabricated American"
Originally posted by gnasher
Spiderman made 114m dollars...
So that means, after deducting $8 for each time Spudly and Chris saw it, that not really that many other people saw it?

-GTB

Even though I am a huge SW fan, Spidey broke the 100 million dollar mark in only 3 days and is still going strong. Adding 10 more days to that ....... will be build its gross. In order for SW Ep 2 to beat Spidey, It will have to beat Spidey's 114 million total in its 4 day weekend ................... alot.

Originally posted by jrs1013
Even though I am a huge SW fan, Spidey broke the 100 million dollar mark in only 3 days and is still going strong. Adding 10 more days to that ....... will be build its gross. In order for SW Ep 2 to beat Spidey, It will have to beat Spidey's 114 million total in its 4 day weekend ................... alot.
No.

Openings have nothing to do with it, and I'll say right now that AOTC will not beat Spider-man's weekend gross.

However AOTC will beat Spider-man's total domestic gross, easily.

As a matter of fact, in two weeks all the hooplah about Spider-man will be gone, all the comments about the effects will be gone, all the media stories will be gone (unless it's to mention how quickly it fell).

The Phantom Menace grossed 431 million and it wasn't even that great of a movie. Thats how strong the StarWars series is. AOTC is going to be an awesome movie, every review I've read has been over the top fantastic. Good word of mouth and repeat viewings should launch AOTC over 400 million.

Spider-man, while a good movie, was not great. Its not going to have the repeat viewers of StarWars, it isn't going to have the same high word of mouth, and its not going to have any numbers when StarWars opens.

Sure it has the biggest opening weekend in history, but it'll also probably have the fastest fall.

Hello True believers

Like I knew already, Spidey would "web" up the competition, just as I had "sensed" their early defeat.

Please, please dont try to use the 114 million figure as a gauge for what the rusted out SW movie will do, because youll be making a great mistake.

I know tons of people who havnt seen the movie yet, but still, look at the outcome.

I could go on and on about why and how the movie made a load of money, but I will wait for the appropriate forum for that.

But until later, keep flipping those papebacks that continue to Marvel you, remember power and responsiblity and , and, oh well I cant think of nothing else to say right now.

And for the record, I saw it Friday at 11:30AM, then at 1:30PM, then again at midnight.

(-)and yes I stayed until the big screen was blank and I could here the movie reel flipping:-)

Rusted out? Ex-squeeze me?

AOTC is going to gross more than Spider-Man. Will it top its weekend record? NO. It will not. But it'll gross more worldwide, and it'll gross more domestically. Count on it. If you want to make a wager, I'm game. It won't even be particularly close, IMO. I'd bet my future first-born child on it.

Furthermore, the idea that you need to surpass a film's opening weekend to surpass its total gross could not be further from the truth. See my comparison earlier between The Scorpion King and [i]Titanic[/]i.