Best Director To Emerge From The 90's

Tools    

I'd love to know what everbody feels is the best director to emerge from the 90's. From me it would be David Fincher with such films as Alien 3, Se7en, The Game, Fight Club & Panic Room.

DAVID FINCHER

who's your choose??

I might go with Fincher. I dunno, something like this I'd have to give a lot of thought. M. Night Shymalan deserves some consideration, IMO, even though he's only made a few flicks. I think he's talented as hell...

1. Wes Anderson
2. Lars Von Trier
3. David Fincher
4. Jean-Pierre Jeunet
5. Wong Kar-Wai
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I'd say Wong Kar-Wai (Chungking Express, Fallen Angels, Happy Together, In the Mood For Love) and Wes Anderson (Bottle Rocket, Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums. Those two spring immediately to mind. I guess Tarantino should get his credit, & if you wanted to count Soderbergh even though sex, lies, and videotape was in '89, then him too.

1. Fincher
2. Tarantino
3. Aronofsky
4. Kevin Smith
5. Wes Anderson

Im not going to say Jeanet because I have only seen Amelie.
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

Well, my favorite director to come out of the '90's is probablt Tarantino. Of course needless to say I'll put Guy Ritchie up there too. I don't remember when Strictly Ballroom came out, but I'll say Baz Luhrmann all the same, despite what some people may or may not think.

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.
Did Paul Thomas Anderson do anything in the 80's?

If not, then my vote's with him.

Originally posted by The Silver Bullet
I'll put Guy Ritchie up there too.
I dont know about him, he had Snatch which wasGreat and Lock Stock, but they were the same movie, you know what i mean?
Still, if i had a #6 it would be him.

6. Guy Ritchie

Todd Solondz

Frank Darabont

I dont know about him, he had Snatch which wasGreat and Lock Stock, but they were the same movie, you know what i mean?
I do.
And I disagree.

I'm not saying he's one of the Best to emerge from the '90's, despite that being what the thread's about.

I put him down because he's simply one of my favorites.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Originally posted by bigvalbowski
Frank Darabont
I second Darabont, great director. Although The Majestic wasn't what many were hoping, it wasn't that bad of a movie.

David Fincher
Wes Anderson
Ron Howard - Although The Grinch was probably his worst, I would say Ron has "leveled out". He's not a terrific director, but he has done some ok movies. A couple come to mind, Backdraft, and Apollo 13.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Spud Ron Howard didn't emerge from the 90's infact his first feature was made in the 70's Grand Theft Auto

Excactly, Ron Howard started like so many in the Roger Corman school of learn-as-you-go no-budget explotative crud in the late 1970s, then came into his own during the mid 1980s with well-recieved studio pics Night Shift (1982), Splash (1984) and Cocoon (1985) back to back to back.

Johnny woo

Rock God
tarentino, kevin smith, and wes anderson are all good picks. i would have to go with the wachowski brothers, as well. i see these guys as going nowhere but up.

although he didn't DEBUT in the 90s, i think joel coen really hit his stride this past decade.