Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.
Scrooged (1988)
My favourite Christmas movie, an absolute bonkers film about a TV executive visited by 4 ghosts to warn him of his future, all the while making a Scrooge TV special. Bill Murray delivers in this Christmas classic. Yule love it!
10/10

Victim of The Night
Scrooged (1988)
My favourite Christmas movie, an absolute bonkers film about a TV executive visited by 4 ghosts to warn him of his future, all the while making a Scrooge TV special. Bill Murray delivers in this Christmas classic. Yule love it!
10/10
Also my favorite Christmas movie.
Best scene: "'Scrape 'em off, Claire. You wanna save somebody, save yourself.' Thanks a lot, Lumpy."

Glad you liked this one too, Takoma; between this and Dunkirk, it really feels like Hollywood might be in the middle of a bit of a War film Renaissance, doesn't it?

Raging Bull By Martin Scorsese 10/10

Unregistered User
Apostasy (2017) -
+
The Trial of the Chicageo 7 (2020) -

Borat Subsequent Moviefilm (2020) -

Summer of 84 (2018) -
+
Pariah: Lives and Deaths of Sonny Liston (2019) -

The Crazies (1973) -

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.
Yeah the film is pretty lame but I have to give it 3/5 for Randy Quaid's performance. Or were you disappointed it wasn't 5/5? 🤣
Lame? It's a Christmas tradition for everyone. Was it not Wes Anderson enough for you? Then again, people like different things. That's life.

Crap, had high hopes for this one because I love the two leads. Still want to see it though.
Aw man, John D, obviously my opinion and I look forward to you seeing it and your thoughts...good or bad...I try to go into a film with an open mind at all times...I *do* hope you like it.

Animal Kingdom (2010)

The scene with Pope and the music playing Air Supply's "All out of love" is genuinely menacing Fabulous...absolutely spine chilling.

The Whistlers -

This is a clever and labyrinthine noir from Romania. It has familiar tropes like undercover cops, a hidden stash of money and gangsters and not so familiar ones in its unique narrative structure and use of El Silbo, a real language involving whistling at different pitches, hence the title. The structure reminds me of the one in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy in that it's not quite linear and each episode is from one character's perspective. Like that movie, it took me a while to adjust, which made me feel out of the loop for a long stretch, but I eventually had an "a-ha" moment and the pieces fell into place in a satisfying way. I always had a grasp on the use of El Silbo, however, thanks to the lessons its speakers provide to our Romanian cop protagonists. Speaking of - no pun intended - the power of language is very much on the movie's mind and not just because it also features English, Spanish and Romanian (a move that is bound to unfairly jeopardize that movie's Academy Award chances). While it is the nature of the beast for movies like this one, the way it prioritizes story and concept over character development makes it a bit cold and ultimately a movie I admire more than I like. Even so, there is a lot to admire here, and while I speak English, the language that lets you obscure your intentions possibly more than any other language, it's a thoughtful reminder that language can hide as much as it can show.

Victim of The Night
Lame? It's a Christmas tradition for everyone. Was it not Wes Anderson enough for you? Then again, people like different things. That's life.
I never liked it. I saw it when I came out and thought it was a big fail, just nothing in it really made me laugh, Chevy Chase really devolved into self-parody, just nothing about it worked for me. I watched it every once in a while since people wanted to and I never ended up liking it so now I haven't watched it for probably 10-15 years and nothing makes me want to change that.