Perfect Song Chosen for a Movie Scene

Tools    

Just kind of a free association thread about "perfect" songs (in your opinion) chosen for a movie scene.

I was going to limit it to "best" songs, but naming the "worst" could be interesting too (that is; songs that were a bad choice or just did not fit the scene).

The only rule here is that it must be a pre-existing song that was NOT made for the movie - so no songs written just for the movie or background music written for the movie.

I guess YouTube videos would be best, but if you can't find one just post the name of the song, the movie and the scene the song was used for.

To start off... I think "Mr. Blue" by the Fleetwoods was a great song just for setting the mood for this scene from National Lampoon's Vacation (1983) where Clark falls asleep at the wheel.

"How tall is King Kong ?"

It works.

It works.

I don't think it works.

(I've put the whole sequence because of the contrast with John Barry, Maybe it could have worked without it, if they had decided for one style only. For one styyyle onlyyyyyy, only for oooone.)

Victim of The Night

That's supposed to jump to 2:35 for the song, but I guess the site doesn't work that well with YouTube.

Forest Gump

"Thus Spoke Zarathustra" ("Sunrise" Introduction) by Richard Strauss in 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968).

This pre-existing piece of classical music has become so associated with the film it was used in that it's come to be known as the "2001" theme.

Somehow the song "The 10 Commandments of Love" by the Moonglows works in this scene from A Bronx Tale (1993), even though it seems the antithesis to what's happening (but in movies, scenes of violence often have an added sense of irony when set to a slow moving tune or a love song...)

"How tall is King Kong ?"
Don't want to post spoilery ending scenes, but I loved the use of the Cranberries' "No need to Argue" at the end of Winterbottom's Butterfly Kiss, as well as Sinatra's "Fly me to the moon" at the end of Eastwood's Space Cowboys.

Also "Brazil" in the whole of Brazil, but this goes without saying.

Speaking of Gilliam, "It's a wonderful world" (and "Blueberry Hill", for that matter) has never been better used than in 12 Monkeys.

This gave the movie’s third act such a charge. A welcomed surprised given how ubiquitous the Stones are in the analogues of cinematic needle drops that don’t quite work.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Mick Smiley - "Magic"
Ghostbusters
The first half of this song is crap but out of context, especially in this scene, it's brilliant and dark.

Big Pig - "Breakaway"
Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure