The Best Movies From Books

Tools    

Now With Moveable Parts
Most of the time,I read a book and then I hear it's gonna be a movie and I'm usually dissapointed;but here's some of the ones I thought did a good job of staying true to the book.
-Princess Bride
-Stand By Me
-Clear and Present Danger
-The Shining
-The Shawshank Redemption
-High Fidelity
There's a few.I'm curious what you all say.

It's funny, because over the next 3 months, we'll be seeing both "Harry Potter", and "Lord of the Rings," which are basically based on two ridiculously popular books. I think that, judging by what I've seen of both so far, those two will be 1-2 on my list.

Now With Moveable Parts
Oh I think so too.It's funny how you can fall in love with a movie just from the previews.I did it with Braveheart and I'm doing it with Lord of the Rings.I know it will be greatness.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
L.A. Confidential was based on a book wasn't it??? Very good transfer if you ask me.

Silence of the Lambs...nuff said

Hannibal, although the ending in the book was lame, they made it more appropriate in the movie.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Now With Moveable Parts
L.A.Confidential was based on a book.A great movie.
-Jaws
-A Time To Kill
-Mississippi Burning
-To Kill A Mokingbird

One Flew Over the Cukoo's Nest and Shawshank pop into my head.

Cuckoo's Nest- the best

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I was thinking bout starting a thread that dealt with real life stories turned into movies, but this thread will do fine I guess. I just forgot what people I was thinking of though.

FEEL THE RHYTHM!
FEEL THE RHYME!
STEP ON UP!
ITS BOBSLED TIME!
COOL RUNNINGS!

Another good based on a true story: Dog Day Afternoon

Radioactive Spider Blood
I hated how in Jurassic Park (the book) Jeff Goldblum's character (forget his name off the top of my head) dies, but in the movie they keep him alive, and even put him in JP2. Annoying.

"Chances are, if your parents didn't have any kids, then you won't either."

And Serpico (speaking of Al Pacino movies based on True Stories).

I didn't remember Dr. Malcolm dying in the Jurassic Park book (I remember the old guy getting killed in the book but not in the movie).

FIGHT CLUB!

Excellent book. Excellent movie. The two become as one in my mind. (Sorry, I'm a bit of a Fight Club afficiando).

I'm positive Malcolm didn't die in JP1 (the book), because he's in JP2 (the book) enjoying his morphine again and ranting about prions. Go figure.

Off the top of my head: To Kill a Mockingbird, Franco Zeffirelli's Romeo and Juliet, Little Women (the 1949 version with June Allyson), The House of Mirth (with Gillian Anderson), Washington Square (Jennifer Jason Leigh and Ben Chaplin), Sense and Sensibility (the Emma Thompson/Kate Winslet version), and the under-rated modern version of Great Expectations (with Ethan Hawke and Gwyneth Paltrow)....

fight Club and Jurassic park, others are 2001: a space odyssey, and the silence of the lambs
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

Election by Tom Perrotta was made into a great movie of the same name.

was 2001 a book? wow, you learn something new every day.

and the jack nicholson shining was stupid, i think ive mentioned that before. Steven Weber one was better, much better adaptation.

Wow! Was 2001 a book?!?!
I hope to Gd you learn something new every day cuz you've got a lot of catching up to do...

Here's something for you to learn: Wings v. Kubrick
Kubrick always wins.
I don't care if its Eyes Wide Shut vs. Antonio Scarpacci himself, Kubrick wins.
You're wrong about the Shining.

DEAD wrong. Mwa HAHAHAHAHA

Radioactive Spider Blood
Malcom does most definitely die in JP1 the book. I just read it, so... well, hopefully I'm not getting my characters confused.