Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Observe and Report -

On the one hand, it's a Seth Rogen movie that I can genuinely appreciate. On the other hand, I still feel like it could have been better.
Just wondering Iro, have you ever EVER given 5 to a film?

Miss You Already

Sad, sad, manipulative, and sad. Similar to Beaches but without the annoyance of Bette Midler. Overall not too shabby. Solid story and very good acting. Drew Barrymore and Toni Collette have great chemistry together.

If you're the emotional sort and prone to crying during movies, make sure you have a towel handy.

Edgar Allan Poe

Knife in the Water (1962)

A nameless leather tramp bums a ride from an older, married couple in the midst of a quarrel. Andrzej, an aging sportswriter, invites the young man for a day out to sea under the guise of a nautical education intending to assert himself as the superior man. The husband and the hitchhiker lock horns as their resentment for one another boils over. The wife and boat share a name and a role as spoils for the victor.

Knife in the Water is a struggle between the arrogance of youth and the wisdom of age as well as an often tense examination of masculinity and the competition that it breeds. On the cusp of 30, Polanski's debut feature is a very personal conflict put to screen, its resolution a middle finger to his future.

http://boxd.it/7IAtf

Finished here. It's been fun.

Claire's Knee

I'm honestly at a loss for words. How can one movie be so good?

that last half hour, bro..........

Yes Rihanna, we know you are in the bloody film, no need to remind us with your songs playing through out the film - five songs I counted in the end credits(plus a few from Jennifer Lopez who, oh look, she voiced a character in the film too...). This film would have got four stars but the music soundtrack spoilt it for me.

Okay, I don't get the big deal with this film...

Cocaine Cowboys (2006)

I had either seen this before, or I had seen the same story on another show on TV. It didn't matter because I can watch this stuff over and over. If you like crime films like I do, then this is the documentary for you. It chronicles the drug trade in Miami in the early 80's, and all of the violence that went with it. It is fast paced and entertaining.

Finished here. It's been fun.

A City of Sadness
+

I'll need to view this one more attentively sometime in the future. At times I struggled to keep up with all the characters and plot-lines. Still, I can't deny the power this film holds over the viewer. This is a film imbued with an underlying sense of pain, loss, and tragedy. It shows the suffering of a small family, but in a way, the suffering of the entire nation of Taiwan.

A Hole in the Head (1959)

Fairly entertaining Frank Sinatra movie, where Frankie runs a Miami Beach hotel and cares for his young son after the mom's death. He has a habit of being unable to hold onto money and is in danger of being evicted from his own hotel due to late payments. He goes through various avenues of trying to get the money, none of which are very successful...I say very which implies that one way is almost successful and it is almost, but about it I will say no more. Edward G. Robinson plays Frank's brother, who, along with his wife (Thelma Ritter) come to Miami, ostensibly to help him, but Robinson is really there to lord it over Frank on how irresponsible he is and how they intend to take his son away. Carolyn Jones (Morticia of "The Addams Family") is Frank's wild, flighty girlfriend and she is some kind of beautiful and does a fine job playing the eccentric woman. Eleanor Parker has fairly high billing but not a very big part in the movie. Still, it's an important part. Eddie Hodges makes his film debut as Sinatra's young son. And Keenan Wynn rounds out the main cast as an old pal of Frank's. This is directed by Frank Capra, but is nowhere near his best work. Sinatra and Hodges, despite this not being a musical, sing the famous hit, "High Hopes." A passable, fun flick, but by no means a must-see unless you're a Sinatra or Capra completest.

Be a freak, like me too

Comment c'est loin (2015)

It's a kind of rap musical film with the two French rappers Orelsan and Gringe (the "Casseurs Flowters"). I'm a huge fan of Orelsan and I haven't been disappointed. This film is not interesting for the cinematography, the "mise-en-scène" but for its spirit : its a good and authentic portrait of the (French) youth, a mediocre and desperate youth (unemployment, procrastination, alcoholism...) with a lot of irony and melancholy. I think it's pretty close to the spirit of Michel Houellebecq (and a novel like Whatever for instance).

Hard to be a God (2014)

While the synopsis might be more substantive than the film itself, Hard To Be A God is an epic trudge through the ruins of a medieval society with arresting imagery at every turn. Perhaps the only picture I'm confident that I could identify by stench.

http://boxd.it/7IRaJ

In a Lonely Place (1950)

+

Like just about every noir I've seen, I can't say I was completely engrossed in this, although I didn't feel like it was a hardcore noir. It was still an outstanding watch with a good story. Bogart was just awesome playing a character who almost nobody would like in real life.