Has anybody seen "Welcome to the Dollhouse"?

Tools    

That's so funny!!!!

What was poor Dawn wearing!?

It's a must-see!

Oh, sure. Fell in love with it back in '95 when I saw it in the theater. For anyone who thinks the Hell of Junior High as depicted by Solondz is too exaggerated, I say you must have been one of the priveleged beautiful people or one of the bullies. Frighteningly, this was the public school experience for many of us.

"'Special People' equals retarded. Your club is for retards."
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

It was beauty killed the beast.
Of course.
It's a good little film.

I like to watch...
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Oh, sure. Fell in love with it back in '95 when I saw it in the theater.
Me too Holden. I laugh every time I think of this film.

Dawn grooving away to the band practising in the garage...her horrible little sister fluffing around in the tutu...the evil cry of "WEINER DOOOOOOOOOG" wherever she goes...

Yep. I love love love this movie.

Good film.

Im a big Tod Solondz (adore HAPPINESS & STORYTELLING)fan and WELCOME TO THE DOLLHOUSE 8/10 may not be my fave but it is a still truly original and entertaining cinema. Black as night comedy full of social relevance and hopnesty.

Few filmakers are as brave as Solondz and even fewer manage to create films that are so single minded.

Nice to see some love for this gem.

Tom Waits is the true GOD
Love WELCOME TO THE DOLLHOUSE!!!!!

Yeah, Welcome to the Dollhouse was pretty messed up, and pretty dead-on sadly. I never had it as bad as Dawn luckily, but I could relate to some of the small things in the film. I think Solondz went a little too over-the-top in the end, but all in all, a 3/4 for me. Happiness is far superior in my book.

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Oh, sure. Fell in love with it back in '95 when I saw it in the theater. For anyone who thinks the Hell of Junior High as depicted by Solondz is too exaggerated, I say you must have been one of the priveleged beautiful people or one of the bullies. Frighteningly, this was the public school experience for many of us.

"'Special People' equals retarded. Your club is for retards."
Really? I thought I was the only one. I haven't seen the whole movie, but I could have been the male Dawn in middle school. She was called a lesbo, I was called a ******. Surprisingly, both Heather Matarazzo and I turned out gay in real life.

Originally Posted by IDigCereal
Happiness is far superior in my book.
I like them both a lot, but Happiness is better in my book as well. I haven't had a chance to feel dirty watching Palindromes yet, but I will soon enough.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

that movie is so funny, i seen it back when it first came out, now everytime i turn on the tv its on cable and I watch it everytime unless it something else on that i wanna see, plus my nephews have it on tape

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
I saw this back in the mid nineties.

Even I wasn't as ridiculed as Dawn, and I can still remember girls sticking gum in my hair and pushing me down flights of stairs.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Originally Posted by nebbit
I haven't seen either
Nice avatar nebbit.

If you've seen The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover these films should be right up your alley.

hated it. todd s. is so overated.

have no idea but what im trying to find out if anybody has seen the movie freddy vs jason and can tell me the name of the 2 songs that wre being played during the cornrave thank youj

Movie Forums Member
I love that movie... I think it can never get old.

This subject is very near and dear to me, since I worked on Happiness. Todd had us watch Welcome to the Dollhouse before we started shooting, and I knew I was in for a trip. I have since followed his career and have seen Story Telling and Palindromes. I actually didn't like Story Telling at all, but I thought Palindromes was pretty much as dark and as twisted as a film can get.