Why only a B+ or A-

Tools    

Originally Posted by Misirlou
The Aviator
Gangs of New York

The second half of both movies just didn't do it for me I still love Scorsese, though
I really loved the first 30 mins or so of Gangs, the rest was a bit tedious to watch. Not terrible, just not up to par, at least IMO.

District B13
Originally Posted by Lance McCool
Dick Tracy

(d. Warren Beatty - 1990)

I grew up loving Beatty's film. The set/art/makeup direction is the best you'll ever see, it's well shot, well written and the acting matched the atmosphere flawlessly. But I could never award it more than an A - because of the very disappointing final 15 minutes.
Yes sir, nay sayers be damned, this is classy noir yellow trenchcoat bliss.

But damnit, I wanted no face to be Dustin Hoffman. He rips off the mask and says "Who's the bizotch now" but noone can understand him.

That would've been a great ending.

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by Misirlou
Gangs of New York
I've gotta go with this one, too. After seeing the film, I read Herbert Asbury's The Gangs of New York, and I'm here to tell you, Scorsese had MUCH more interesting material he could have put in there. I enjoyed the film, but the story was just too generic for me. All that pretty historical accuracy, and a so-so story - blah. I don't even know if Scorsese knew what he wanted to say with the film, because it goes in so many directions.

So many good movies, so little time.
I agree with Gangs and Pale Rider.

Another one for me is A Bronx Tale.

This movie has 3 of my favorite scenes
1. The dice scene
2. The racetrack scene
3. The bar scene with the bikers

I really thought it could have been a great movie but I never bought in to Sonny telling C that it would be all right for him to go out with a black girl in 1960's New York. I know it was supposed to be Calogero Lorenzo "Chazz" Palminteri autobiographical story but I just don't buy it,

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

I Will Shrink You
On the subjects of Kubrick... I think Full metal Jacket didnt quite get there. Great movie, it started off so well, but for me it faltered.