How do we be good people?

Tools    

I don't mean anything subtle or symbolic about it, really. Every person is deeply flawed, inherently selfish, and has an almost limitless number of issues that they are mostly incapable of completely solving. "Good people" are the ones who recognize this and keep trying. The same way the wise man is the one who knows the extent of his ignorance, the good man is the one who knows how much better he could be.

As a whole, I think humanity is beautiful, and a force for good in so many ways. But as individuals we are all broken. I think any worldview needs to start with that fact, and move right on to the question of whether we can be redeemed, and if so, how.

I don't mean anything subtle or symbolic about it, really. Every person is deeply flawed, inherently selfish, and has an almost limitless number of issues that they are mostly incapable of completely solving. "Good people" are the ones who recognize this and keep trying.

As a whole, I think humanity is beautiful, and a force for good in so many ways. But as individuals we are all broken. I think any worldview needs to start with that fact, and move right on to the question of whether we can be redeemed, and if so, how.
I was about to say that I find that beautiful about people. Only managed a heart, though.

Hey, I'm not broke.

Got 85c and a half-used tissue in just me right-hand shorts pocket alone!

I don't mean anything subtle or symbolic about it, really. Every person is deeply flawed, inherently selfish, and has an almost limitless number of issues that they are mostly incapable of completely solving. "Good people" are the ones who recognize this and keep trying. The same way the wise man is the one who knows the extent of his ignorance, the good man is the one who knows who much better he could be.

Thanks for explaining

Why?..Can't it be, doing good is what is often the easiest?
Maybe my post was not clear. To me personally, it's more rewarding to do good to another person than doing bad. If I can make someone happy that then makes me happy. If I intentionally do bad to someone, that makes me feel guilty which equals=bad. I'd image most people find doing good easier than doing bad (if bad is equated to doing morally wrong things)....However if we equate bad with having one too many slices of pizza, then I'm evil

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…
Why?..Can't it be, doing good is what is often the easiest?

It would be nice, but that would be advice given outside of my point of view.

In my life, the "for the greater good" has always been the hardest. By this I mean the thing you don't get positive reinforcement from that nurtures your ego. I make a cake for someone, people love and appreciate it, but "doubledenim" swells because everyone is feeding his ego.

Say I'm looking forward to seeing a movie...The Predator, because it is part of a franchise spawned by the greatest action not a scifi movie ever. I really get excited about things. An acquaintance (not a friend) asks me to help them move, but I have to cancel my movie plans. That's hard.

A person needs money to pay the bills. They have small children, but you also know they have a pill habit. They promise they will pay you back and it means so much. This person's history indicates they will never call on you unless they need something. You pay the bill, knowing that you will not see that money. Can you stifle the resentment, the hard feelings you will suffer from, to help someone else?

Effort, whether emotional or physical is the greatest thing we can give. That's what I am trying to say CR.

It would be nice, but that would be advice given outside of my point of view.
That's what I am trying to say CR.
That's cool, and I can see how that could be your personal viewpoint. I thought you meant something else.