JayDee's 100 Favourite Films

→ in
Tools    

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Well after Eternal Sunshine...and the Lion King just missed out, we now break into the top 10.

10. Hero

“People give up their lives for many reasons. For friendship, for love, for an ideal. And people kill for the same reasons …”

For me this is quite simply the most visually beautiful film I have ever seen. Just about every scene is a work of pure art. Sumptuous colours, stunning cinematography and special effects create some truly amazing visuals which just leave me mesmerised. It takes martial arts and weaves it into a kind of poetry.

While it may not be an original technique, the colour coding of each different story works wonderfully, and just further adds to the beauty of the whole production. The locations, the costumes, the photogaphy; everything is just impeccable. And when they come together they create some just incredible images. For me it's like the movie equivalent of meditation. I can just put this film on and before long the colours, the images, the beauty just sweep me off into this beautiful, peaceful place.

The story may seem quite simple at first, but as it plays out in Rashomon-like style it becomes more and more complex, with relationships and events questioned for their authenticity and a number of twists and turns keeping the level of mystery up. The battle scenes that are peppered throughout are exceptional. They are just dazzling in terms of their choreography and staging. Perhaps the highlight is the confrontation between Jet Li and Tony Leung's characters on a peaceful lake.

With a cast of large Asian stars (Jet Li, Donnie Yen, Tony Leung etc) the film is well acted throughout, particularly by Jet Li as the strong and stoic Nameless, and I just I think it's incredible. I have seen a number of films which are in the same tradition (Crouching Tiger, House of Flying Daggers etc) but I think this is just on another level.

All boiled down it comes to just one word really. Beautiful

9. Donnie Darko

“I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief because there will be so much to look forward to.”

This movie was an absolute revelation to me when I first saw it, probably the first really 'cult film' I ever saw. I actually saw it quite early on I think before it became the must-see cult movie out there. It was the first movie of this type that I had seen really. Something so bizarre and weird that it's almost impossible to define. It has elements of science fiction, satire, horror and touches of teen comedy. And they all come together as something that can overwhelm some, but completely mesmerise others. I'm in the latter camp. And even if you don't like it I'd say it's the kind of movie that's hard to just see once, it almost demands you rewatch it.

The film reminds me a touch of a classic Spieldberg, Amblin production; the kind that JJ Abrams seems to be aiming for with Super 8. It's set in the 80s era, has the small town setting, the unusual and freakish goings-on while also having elements of family drama. Like many of those films it has a mix of fantasy, humour and sadness. It's full of striking images and has a terrific performance from Jake Gyllenhall.

The film also features one of my favourite ever uses of music in a film. The montage of characters at the end, dealing with everything set to Gary Jules' version of “Mad World” is an absolutely stunning, haunting and beautiful moment.

For his first film Richard Kelly created something truly outstanding. Hopefully he is able to bounce back, and one day approach the greatness he was able to capture here, but failed to with Southland Tales and The Box. Oh and for me the Original Cut trumps the Director's Cut by a long way. It tried to fill in too many gapsm and hurt the mystery and magic of the film.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Wow, I love Donnie Darko, but I was not expecting Hero. Nevertheless, brilliant choices.

Like you, I saw this long before it became a cult classic (as a Drew film, I was waiting for it to be released and saw it long before it reached these shores. ) and I think I benefited from that. Had I seen this as a 'must see' film, I don't think I'd have liked it as much as I did. Of course, the main reason I like it is Drew, anyway, so maybe I would've.

Wow, I love Donnie Darko, but I was not expecting Hero. Nevertheless, brilliant choices.
As I just seem to be constantly saying just now, thank you very much.

Nice to hear you love Donnie Darko as well. But what was so unexpected about Hero?

HK - Nice to see you return. So I'm guessing you're a fan of Darko then? Been meaning to ask by the way what's your current avatar?

I'm just starting to realise how much I'll miss posting this little list when it comes to an end.

Anyway back tomorrow with at least #8, perhaps #7 as well if I'm feeling generous.

HK - Nice to see you return. So I'm guessing you're a fan of Darko then? Been meaning to ask by the way what's your current avatar?
Yes, I liked Donnie Darko. I have to say that I've not seen it for a good many years and I've only seen it 3 times. But, yes, I like it.

My avatar is a pen and ink drawing of Drew.

I totally agree about Darko, JayDee.

I was stunned and enthralled by the deft mix of spooky sci-fi and charming John Hughes-esque teen movie, but the Director's cut soured the film for me more than a little. It came off as pretentious, self-indulgent. Too much geeky superfluous exposition damaged the haunting tone of mystery and tragedy at the core of the film...

I plan to rewatch the Original cut again eventually, having put the film aside mentally as much as possible since that director's cut left a bad taste in my mouth, and hopefully when I do I'll be able to recapture some of whatever magic enchanted me in the first place.

Still, I applaud your choice.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

8. The Princess Bride

“Death cannot stop true love. All it can do is delay it for a while.”

Every so often you come across a film that is just 'perfect', that achieves everything it sets out to. It's rare, but for me this is one of those films. It's a film that has great action, adventure, romance, fantasy, wit and is also amongst the funniest films I've ever seen. Every time I see this film it just gives me a warm little glow in my heart. It's a true joy to watch

Adapted from his own novel, William Goldman's script is a thing of wonder, being able to capture whatever is required at the time – true romance, slapstick humour, a tongue in cheek tone. And jam packed with fantastic lines just made for quoting.

The cast are wonderful. From the main players (Robin Wright and Cary Elwes) to the supporting cast of Mandy Patinkin, Christopher Guest, Andre the Giant and Wallace Shawn; all the way to some wonderful small roles and cameos from Peter Falk (Rest in Peace), Fred Savage and a hilarious showing from Billy Crystal. They all have their memorable moments, each adding up to the beautiful experience that it is.

There are just so many fantastic moments and lines that instantly bring a smile to my face when I think of them – the fantastic sword fight between Elwes and Patinkin which mixes great action with a sparkling verbal battle (“You seem a decent fellow. I hate to kill you.” ~ “You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.”), the battle of wits between Elwes and Wallace Shawn's character, Vizzini (“Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!”), the Rodents of Unusual Size and on and on.

It's actually a rather absurd film, full of comic book characters and ridiculous situations, but made with so much charm that I fell in love with it instantly.

I know I'm alone on this, but...

Oh HK!!! You disappoint me!

Princess Bride is an excellent pick. A real movie lovers movie.
Thank you very much. I think I spotted it hidden somewhere in your massive list of favourite movies!

7. WALL-E

“Ta-dah!”

I think I pretty much fell in love with this film before I'd even seen it. As soon as I saw the first trailer and caught my first glimpse of Wall-e's little face I was smitten. I just think that he and the film as a whole are adorable. Visually it looks incredible, whether it's portraying the deserted Earth or space as Wall-e and Eve float around.

For a lot of the film, including the whole opening half hour really, this is nearly a silent film. This just gives Pixar a chance to once again show off their incredible genius with a number of stunning visuals which illuminate the story, create this world, makes us laugh and makes us feel for this little robot. Wall-e really is a wonderful creation, a little being I find impossible not to love.

Despite their almost complete lack of dialogue and the fact that they are two robots in an animated movie, I find the relationship between Wall-e and Eve to be one of the most beautiful and touching romances I've ever seen on screen. Without words it's all down to little looks and gestures (holding hands, putting up an umbrella) and it is irresistibly sweet. And the moment where it seems like Wall-e has lost his personality, and lost Eve is a truly heartbreaking one which almost had me blubbering like a baby in the cinema the first time I saw it

A funny, touching, enthralling film. A true Pixar masterpiece. One that I think will rise up my rankings over time.

The genius thing about Wall-E, I thought, was how much I cared about this little robot even 15 minutes into the film - and there hadn't been any dialogue yet. I completely agree with everything you said, that this is better than Toy Story and Pixar's best. Modern day animated classic.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
I liked The Princess Bride, but I agree with Wall-E being a masterpiece. Maybe not as good as The Toy Story Trilogy, but still great in it's own right.

Needless to say, but brilliant choice.

Wow WALL-E seems to be a popular choice

I liked The Princess Bride, but I agree with Wall-E being a masterpiece. Maybe not as good as The Toy Story Trilogy, but still great in it's own right.

Needless to say, but brilliant choice.
So hard to choose between Wall-e and the Toy Story films really. Saying the Toy Story films aren't my favourites sounds like an insult even if it really isn't

You think I've made a brilliant choice?! Never!!!

kind of hard to compare Wall-E to a trilogy though, isn't it? I don't know, as a stand alone to me it can go head to head with any of the Toy Story movies, Wall-E, Up and The Incredibles are just borderline genius to me