Broke my wrist!!!

Tools    

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
PT on your wrist is going to hurt like hell. Ha ha just kidding 😂
I had pt once on my leg and it wasn't bad. Of course the only thing I really liked about it is that I got assigned to a good looking woman.

PT on your wrist is going to hurt like hell. Ha ha just kidding 😂
I had pt once on my leg and it wasn't bad. Of course the only thing I really liked about it is that I got assigned to a good looking woman.
Not funny Mezzy! Don’t want to hear about pain.

Not funny Mezzy! Don’t want to hear about pain.
Before having surgery on my leg, I had pt which didn't help. After surgery I did my own pt to get my leg working again. It's depressing when you have to hobble around with crutches. At least you won't need them.

Before having surgery on my leg, I had pt which didn't help. After surgery I did my own pt to get my leg working again. It's depressing when you have to hobble around with crutches. At least you won't need them.
Yeah, that would be horrid. I would be so depressed if I couldn’t do my daily 2-hour walk.

Yeah, that would be horrid. I would be so depressed if I couldn’t do my daily 2-hour walk.
2 hours is a long walk. What kind of shoes do you have? I wear Nikes.

2 hours is a long walk. What kind of shoes do you have? I wear Nikes.
I go to a place called Fleet Feet to buy 2 new pairs every year. I think I have Brooks right now, but will check later. Shock absorption is what I need most.

When I started walking my dog twice a day I started burning through walking shoes, and for a long time I kept thinking I could find a pair I could pay more for that would last longer, but nothing seems to do it. I think the physics just don't work. If you walk miles and miles every week you're just gonna need a new pair of shoes once or twice a year. I've resigned myself to it at this point.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
If you walk miles and miles every week you're just gonna need a new pair of shoes once or twice a year. I've resigned myself to it at this point.
You mean you want your shoes to last you a lifetime? If you walk considerable distances daily you should replace your shoes AT LEAST every 3 months. Actually, you should have at least two pairs and use them interchangeably to give the amortization foam time to spring back up after use. Of course, if you're willing to pay a lot for a really good pair like the Brooks Stirchley is talking about, they'll last you longer, but even pro running shoes like that lose their amortization after some time. Wear and tear is just inevitable. Incidentally, walking a lot is not that different from running and presents a considerable shock for your heels and knees, so walking every day requires a pair of running shoes, not walking shoes. Walking shoes are only good for walking around the office or something.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

You mean you want your shoes to last you a lifetime?
Nah. I just assumed there'd be a longer life cycle available on a per-dollar basis than the cheap ones I was buying. IE: maybe a $40 pair lasts me four months but if I spring for $80 it lasts me a year or something. Similar quality/upfront cost tradeoffs exist with most clothes, I've found. But apparently not for walking shoes.

I did buy a pair of Merrell's after hearing about them on a podcast from a guy who literally walks all over the world and while they're nice, I'd say they only really last a little longer than the cheap ones. Lesson learned.

Nah. I just assumed there'd be a longer life cycle available on a per-dollar basis than the cheap ones I was buying. IE: maybe a $40 pair lasts me four months but if I spring for $80 it lasts me a year or something.
Might have to do with your unusual feet.

I'm using mid-price range shoes atm. They're better than the atrocities I'd walked in before, but I could use some more shock absorption. I like to walk for at least one hour and when I walk, I walk really fast, so heel striking is something I always resort to doing without thinking about it. I'm actually romancing with the idea of buying a really top pair of running shoes, maybe Brooks Ghost Max. It's so much better to pay more but to not end up with plantar fasciitis or worse.

Wait, this isn't the MoFo Health Thread. We might want to move there.

When I started walking my dog twice a day I started burning through walking shoes, and for a long time I kept thinking I could find a pair I could pay more for that would last longer, but nothing seems to do it. I think the physics just don't work. If you walk miles and miles every week you're just gonna need a new pair of shoes once or twice a year. I've resigned myself to it at this point.
My sneaks cost at least $100 per pair. Plus inserts. Each pair lasts 6 months. But they’re worth it IMO. The damage I could potentially do to joints would be awful to deal with. Ran downstairs to see what I have now & they are Brooks. Before these I wore a lot of Saucony. BTW, these are all running shoes not walking shoes.

Survived my first day of physical therapy yesterday. Very nice young woman is my therapist & she shares all information with my orthopedist. Our evaluation lasted one hour & I have scheduled appointments through April though I may not need that many.

She is very gentle & did not attempt to push me. I have 4 exercises to do in reps of 10 three times a day. (No doubt there will be more exercises to do.) I’ve always hated exercises, but she says to think of them as movements rather than exercises. I can do that. I also cannot wear my wrist brace for long periods of time. As she says, my wrist needs to move!

All in all we are coming along slowly.

Great news, partially because it'll (mostly, probably) only get easier from those first few sessions, barring them adding new stuff. If it wasn't too bad that probably bodes well for the rest of it.

Great news, partially because it'll (mostly, probably) only get easier from those first few sessions, barring them adding new stuff. If it wasn't too bad that probably bodes well for the rest of it.
She seemed slightly surprised I could do what I did though I don’t want to make too much of that.

She’s a nice lady who is easy to talk to & she’s very gentle, which was what I wanted. And she explains everything too which is crucial for me.

Nurses and therapists are so often angelic people. They have to be. They're seeing people at their absolute worst. Can't imagine the abuse physical therapists have to endure in the really rough cases.

I know several PTs, all through softball. Presumably because softball's a perfect low impact sport for people who otherwise aren't as active/young/whatever. That and Pittsburgh's health care industry just being massive. Learned a lot from them all.

Nurses and therapists are so often angelic people. They have to be. They're seeing people at their absolute worst. Can't imagine the abuse physical therapists have to endure in the really rough cases.

I know several PTs, all through softball. Presumably because softball's a perfect low impact sport for people who otherwise aren't as active/young/whatever. That and Pittsburgh's health care industry just being massive. Learned a lot from them all.
Yes, I agree. I wonder if mine does the whole body or just hand problems - will have to ask her.

Pittsburgh’s health care industry being massive is a good thing or bad?

Pittsburgh’s health care industry being massive is a good thing or bad?
I'd say mostly good. We're the second-oldest state in the nation behind Florida, which is part of it. But they also fly athletes and the like to our institutions here sometimes, so it's as much quality as it is quantity. And it's a growth industry for better or worse, so it's a pretty good landing spot for a former steel town/rust belt kinda city.

I'd say mostly good. We're the second-oldest state in the nation behind Florida, which is part of it. But they also fly athletes and the like to our institutions here sometimes, so it's as much quality as it is quantity. And it's a growth industry for better or worse, so it's a pretty good landing spot for a former steel town/rust belt kinda city.
Have you always lived in Pittsburgh? I’ve been a single time to Philly, but nowhere else in PA. (We had a country house one mile from the border with Stalker, PA for many years, but we never crossed that border for some reason.)

I would imagine the history of Pittsburgh is very interesting.