Horror movies

Tools    

gone
is it just me or is the horror movie genre lacking entries in recent years?

I'm not sure how big an audience there is for gory films (I would have loved to see Braindead on the big screen) but it just seems that they don't get made anymore.

That's probably because most of them fail, but there are that good few that you wish some effort would go into.

I'm not talking about thrillers/slashers etc. such as Scream trilogy, or sixth sense.

Admittedly the Others was good but I just crave that old style that seems to be non-existent such as:

The Thing
An American Werewolf in London
Night of the Living dead (first one)
Dellamorte Dellamore (cemetery man)
Evil Dead Series
Bad Taste (could be classified as comedy, who cares)
Braindead (also could be comedy)
Re-Animator
Day of the Dead

Dario Argento Films
such as Profondo Rosso (Deep Red) and Suspiria

Jean-Pierre Jeunet 's Delicatessen and La Cité des enfants perdus ( The City of the Lost Children ) - I know they're more bizarre than horror but still excellent films!

finally Lucio Fulci's "Don't torture the duckling" - but I'm not sure if that's had a proper worldwide release
Why oh why do these films just not get made anymore?

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I think everyone is looking for new ways to scare people and it comes off as a laugh instead of a scream. I mean 13 Ghosts, some of the ghosts looked freaky, but wasn't scary enough. The story lacked, too.

I think good Horror movies went out with the passing of time. In recent years, has there been one that has been classified as a truly good horror movie?
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

gone
Audition - definately make you shiver

I don't ask to be scared by a horror film, maybe I need to redefine my definition to clarify my point, unfortunately my mind is clouded with thoughts of finishing work and going home so I'll give it some thought and post it later on

Well a horror movie SHOULD at least frighten you. Doesn't have to do it every minute of the movie, but at least once or twice in the entire movie.

Now With Moveable Parts
I like horror movies without a lot of gore. Just some classic, old fashioned,"bump in the night" kind of stuff.

See, that's the cool thing. Horror movies made back when were scary simply because it was new territory. Every now and then a movie will come along and scare the pants off of us, or gore us out, but very rarely does that happen anymore.

Just once, I would like to put as much talent into the writing as they do with the makeup and effects for a movie like this (ie. 13 Ghosts). That movie could have been soooooo much better had it not been for the snoozer of a script.

gone
well if you see bad taste, braindead or evil dead 2 most of them aren't scary, they're more bizarre...

I thought about it and I can't define it but maybe what I really crave is more camp exploitation films which also don't get made anymore Everything is glossed up, bring back old cameras/editing/production damnit.

It's why I couldn't stand Moulin Rouge (probably one of the only films I wanted to walk out of in my entire life) It was just a load of over-stylized glossy crap. (I have no idea why it's so popular, I must have missed something)

Come to think about it no horror film has been scary, it's just been something people who don't have a budget or a script can do damnit what's my point?

I want the old style films back. None of this take myself so seriously horror crap.

gone
Will do..will do...

just bought myself a camcorder

Writing a script doesn't require a camcorder the last I checked.

What we really need is an inventive script. Something that hasn't been done before. Ya know.

Delicatesen is horror? I thought it was comedy. I don't really like horror films. They either don't scare at all (which basically makes them pointless) or they are OTT.

OTT???

Well, they don't scare me either, but it's always good to see something out there that might scare a friend or even a girlfriend.

The last few "horror" flicks have pretty much catered to laughter more than screams. House on Haunted Hill, Thirteen Ghosts, Jeepers Creepers, etc., all really haven't had the scare factor to make them true Horror Movies. Granted, I watched House on Haunted Hill with a group of girls(girlfriend and her roommates), and they jumped at a couple of places, but other than that, wasn't really scared.

It would be creepy to have a black & white horror film back on the big screen. Now, I'm not talking about bringing back a classic, but more or less make a new film classic style.

Have a creature hidden from the light of the camera until the very end, but have the picture in black and white too. Blair Witch was somewhat creepy due to the fact you could never see what was actually out there, only the reactions, which is good. They did, however, take that too far with 2 sequels.

gone
dellamorte dellamore (aka cemetary man) has quite a bit of brain to it, and an eerie feeling all the way through. It's about as close to a horror movie with a brain as I'd ever get...

Would anyone classify sixth sense as horror?

gone
yay! something we agree on!

Now With Moveable Parts
Them are fightin' words, spud!

gone
Anyone seen a chinese ghost story?

Not really horror, ****ing good nonetheless!

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.
Ring. Scariest movie i've ever seen.

I've noticed that my taste for Horror is kind of lop-sided which makes it really hard for me to find horror movie that I enjoy.
I tend to go for Horror movie like Evil Dead,Evil Dead II,Bad Taste,Dead Alive & Re-Animator

do you guys know of any other Horror movies like these that are listed above could you tell me if you do.

Cheers