Noirvember 2023 - Rate the last noir you watched

Tools    

The Killers (1946)
Robert Siodmak

Based on a 1927 Hemingway short story and reportedly Hemingway's favorite screen adaptation of his work. The film's story is well fleshed out with Edmund O'Brien as an insurance investigator attempting to unravel the mysterious slaying of 'the Swede'. The film starts with a bang when two aggressive men take over a diner, waiting to kill the Swede who eats there promptly at 6pm everyday. This is a powerful opening scene and common to noir films we know the Swede is killed in the first few minutes of the film. The story then is told in flash backs as the insurance investigator pokes around trying to solve why the Swede left a $2500 life insurance policy to an elderly woman who cleaned his room at a boarding house he once stayed at.

Charles McGraw and William Conrad are hired guns sent to kill the Swede (Burt Lancaster).

The Swede played by Burt Lancaster in his very first film role and with top billing, is a former boxer who's working as a gas station attended. The film starts with a chance encounter with his former associate in crime, played by Albert Decker. Decker spots the Swede when he ask the man to check his engine oil....The story is quite engaging, it unfolds in bits and pieces as the insurance investigator learns the truth about The Swede.

Credit to the screen writers (Anthony Veiller, John Huston, Richard Brooks) for a well penned script. To the director Robert Siodmak for a smooth and interesting film structure and to Vera West for that iconic black dress with the singular strap that Ava Gardener wore.

Ministry Of Fear

Started out really strong. Kind of loved the cake macguffin. Made for some fun character stuff and felt very original. It’s bad when a 90 minute movie kind of loses you about halfway through though. Just wasn’t enough meat on the bones and the ending is weak.

Coolest movie name ever. Unfortunately not the coolest movie ever. Decent though. Really nothing to say about it. It’s not bad, just nothing to grab you or set it apart.

Coolest movie name ever. Unfortunately not the coolest movie ever. Decent though. Really nothing to say about it. It’s not bad, just nothing to grab you or set it apart.
I've not seen that one. I'll catch it some time but not before the countdown, I'm working on rewatching some of the bigger noirs.

The Killers (1946)
Robert Siodmak

Based on a 1927 Hemingway short story and reportedly Hemingway's favorite screen adaptation of his work. The film's story is well fleshed out with Edmund O'Brien as an insurance investigator attempting to unravel the mysterious slaying of 'the Swede'. The film starts with a bang when two aggressive men take over a diner, waiting to kill the Swede who eats there promptly at 6pm everyday. This is a powerful opening scene and common to noir films we know the Swede is killed in the first few minutes of the film. The story then is told in flash backs as the insurance investigator pokes around trying to solve why the Swede left a $2500 life insurance policy to an elderly woman who cleaned his room at a boarding house he once stayed at.

The Swede played by Burt Lancaster in his very first film role and with top billing, is a former boxer who's working as a gas station attended. The film starts with a chance encounter with his former associate in crime, played by Albert Decker. Decker spots the Swede when he ask the man to check his engine oil....The story is quite engaging, it unfolds in bits and pieces as the insurance investigator learns the truth about The Swede.

Credit to the screen writers (Anthony Veiller, John Huston, Richard Brooks) for a well penned script. To the director Robert Siodmak for a smooth and interesting film structure and to Vera West for that iconic black dress with the singular strap that Ava Gardener wore.

Nice review. It's an unusual noir directed by one of the greatest and most prolific of all noir directors, Robert Siodmak. Much to like about this picture. Ava Gardner was sure a gorgeous femme fatale. And cinematographer Woody Bredell (Phantom Lady) was very keen with noir. Noir is full of flash back films, which I think they owe to The Power and the Glory (1933), a full 8 years before it was used in Citizen Kane. The Killers is a bit of a landmark film.

Nice review. It's an unusual noir directed by one of the greatest and most prolific of all noir directors, Robert Siodmak. Much to like about this picture. Ava Gardner was sure a gorgeous femme fatale. And cinematographer Woody Bredell (Phantom Lady) was very keen with noir. Noir is full of flash back films, which I think they owe to The Power and the Glory (1933), a full 8 years before it was used in Citizen Kane. The Killers is a bit of a landmark film.
I don't think I've seen The Power and the Glory (1933). I hadn't heard of it before.

The Killers: My favorite cinematography moment or maybe it's my favorite lighting moment, is when we see the two gunmen enter the Swede's room...The camera angle is low, looking up at the killers. Which makes them look more ominous as well as making sense as the Swede is lying on his bed. But what really love is the flashing lights in sync with the gunshots...very effective. What a great movie to kick of a great career from Burt Lancaster.

My Name Is Julia Ross

What a fun and twisted little Noir. The characters here are fantastic. The plot is really fun and engaging. I wish the motivations had been fleshed out a little more. Besides that, this was a great surprise.

My Name Is Julia Ross

What a fun and twisted little Noir. The characters here are fantastic. The plot is really fun and engaging. I wish the motivations had been fleshed out a little more. Besides that, this was a great surprise.

We sure had different reactions, I didn't care for it and didn't feel it was noir. But it is tagged noir at IMDB so of course eligible. It's rated pretty highly too. I think Allaby liked that one.

We sure had different reactions, I didn't care for it and didn't feel it was noir. But it is tagged noir at IMDB so of course eligible. It's rated pretty highly too. I think Allaby liked that one.
Interesting. I have watched quite a bit that is iffy to me but this one felt very Noir. Is it because there wasn’t much of an investigative quality?

Interesting. I have watched quite a bit that is iffy to me but this one felt very Noir. Is it because there wasn’t much of an investigative quality?
No not the lack of investigative quality and not the lack of detectives & femme fatales. I'm trying to remember my reaction...I believe, I had this emotional feeling of an innocent person trapped without almost no hope for the duration of the film. That's the same feeling I get from horror and thriller films so my gut told my mind, 'not noir'. Also as it was the gothic type setting that put me in the mindset it wasn't noir too.

No not the lack of investigative quality and not the lack of detectives & femme fatales. I'm trying to remember my reaction...I believe, I had this emotional feeling of an innocent person trapped without almost no hope for the duration of the film. That's the same feeling I get from horror and thriller films so my gut told my mind, 'not noir'. Also as it was the gothic type setting that put me in the mindset it wasn't noir too.
That all makes sense. I think the characters just felt really Noir to me.

Undercurrent

Speaking of pushing the Noir boundaries definition. I definitely don’t consider this Noir. In fact it’s straight melodrama for most of its run time. It’s certainly playing in the Hitch sandbox, so I guess that’s what the powers that be are latching on to.

Anyway, the movie is really good. I am surprised to see it’s not that widely seen or praised. I think the plot structure is fantastic. The mystery is very intriguing. I think this is my favorite Hepburn performance so far.

If there’s an issue it’s that we need a couple more scenes with Mitchum to fully feel the weight of what’s going on with that character. Also it’s not a great looking movie. It’s fine, but nothing to wow you or set it apart visually.

Undercurrent
....Anyway, the movie is really good. I am surprised to see it’s not that widely seen or praised. I think the plot structure is fantastic. The mystery is very intriguing. I think this is my favorite Hepburn performance so far.
I'm sold. That's one I haven't seen and I haven't seen all that much of Kate Hepburn. If she turns in a great performance and it's got a neat mystery and Robert Mitchum, then I'm sold.

The Killing (1956)
Stanley Kubrick

A heist gone bad. That's what I love about the Hayes Production Code days of film making...the audiences knew that the criminals would never get away with it. The fun then is in seeing them get so close to pulling off the perfect caper only to have it evaporate in the end. The Killing was Kubrick's first big film where he had enough money and clout to use A-list actors. This looks great as one would expect from a Kubrick film. It's a non-linear story but thanks to the editing it feels very coherent. If there was one thing I didn't like it was the voice over narrator in the first part of the film. That V.O. was added at the insistence of the studio over Kubrick's objections. Kubrick hated it so I guess I'm in good company.

Sterling Hayed is good here but my money is on the odd couple, Elisha Cook and his wife Marie Windsor. Windsor dominates him both in size and in demeanor. It's their odd marriage that propels the perfect crime onto the road of no return.

A contender for my ballot.

The Killing is another I should rewatch. Every time I read about everything sounds so in my wheelhouse. I didn’t love it first go round though.

The Killing is another I should rewatch. Every time I read about everything sounds so in my wheelhouse. I didn’t love it first go round though.
Same here, I didn't really like it much the first time either and it wasn't in consideration for my ballot, until I decided to start rewatching some of the biggies.

Killer's Kiss (1955)

Re-watch.
Stanley Kubrick's second film is a lot better than his first and this is a decent noir with great cinematography. Has some good unique scenes though comes across a bit empty at times. I think it would have benefited from someone more engaging as the lead actor.

The Blue Dahlia (1946)

A fun noir, if you go into it knowing it's not hard hitting or serious...it's lighter fare. I was interested throughout the film and it never drags. BUT it does get real silly in the last scene that wraps up the mystery of who killed a returning war veteran's wife. A man holds a match so that his buddy can shoot it, 'lighting up' the match, which is suppose to prove the buddy is such a good shot that he couldn't be the killer. Never mind that the gun is fired in the office of a nightclub. I guess the police who are also in the room aren't concerned that the bullet will travel through the wall, possibly killing someone on the dance floor. As silly as that was, the ending with the perpetrator confessing all of his crimes like an ending to a Scooby Doo cartoon is way daft.

Still I liked it, for just a fun relaxed watch. I always enjoy seeing Veronica Lake. And while Alan Ladd never impresses me, William Bendix was one colorful character. I also enjoyed the performances by Doris Dowling who plays the wife and Howard Da Silva who's the shady man having an affair with Ladd's wife.
++ for a fun viewing

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	The-Blue-Dahlia-1946-featured-2382867876.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	97365  

Pickup on South Street (1953)
Samuel Fuller - Director & Writer

Samuel Fuller is one of the under sung directors from the 20th century. He was a war journalist and newspaper crime reporter who wrote pulp fiction crime novels... and he made some ballsy films for the time. His trademark was allowing the actors to be 'of the moment'. He didn't micromanage them or demand they read the script word for word, like so many other directors did. Instead he gave his actors a lot of leeway when shooting scenes, resulting in believable raw emotions and balanced nuances out of his leads. Fuller is also known for the way he shot action/fight sequences, he believed in shooting wide as possible versus the usual tight shots done by other directors.

What's special to me about Pickup On South Street is Samuel Fuller is an auteur film maker. He wrote it, cast it and directed it. It's full of human expressions and details that other directors don't always bother to show. It's those little real moments that drive the movie and develop character and world building.

Here's an example of 'method acting' from Jean Peters. She's not just giving a dramatic reading of her lines, she actually becomes her character. Watch this 1 minute clip (it's not a trailer, no spoilers). You can see and feel her emotions at work. I love the way she instantly responds in character when she is impromptu bumped in the face with the chop sticks. Indeed I love the whole usage of chop sticks in this scene. The actor who plays Lighting Louie (Vic Perry) is pretty great too.

What I loved about Pickup on South Street is the brutal realism of Richard Widmark's character. The scene where Widmark is hiding behind his waterfront shack door, trying to get the 'drop' on some bad guys. The door opens and he punches the person in the face....only it's not a bad guy, it's Jean Peters and she's knocked cold to the floor. What Widmark does next defines his character and the movie as one of the great noirs. In any other Hollywood film, a romantic music score would have played, he would have bent down and gently tried to wake her up...Not Widmark, he rolls Jean Peters over with his foot, like a sack of potatoes and then revives her by poring cold beer in her face! Which is true to his characters form. That moment defines Widmark and the movie.

Then there's this brutal scene where Jean Peters is beat up and pushed around the room by her ex boyfriend played by Richard Kiley. I watched that scene several times. It's a long camera shot, which Fuller said he liked for fight scenes as it adds more believability....It was Jean Peters doing the entire scene herself! She must have ended up with some bad bruises after that, geez!

Thelma Ritter's performance as Moe, the old lady informer with a heart of gold and a head for money, is amazing. The scene were a gunman enters who room demanding information that she won't give out is one of the great moments of film. The emotions she voices about growing old and weary of life were chilling and quite sad. Thelma was Oscar nominated for best supporting actress. She deserved to win.

The bulk of the credit for this fine film goes to director/writer Samuel Fuller. He populates his movie with rich scenes and well though out details that makes what we're watching so rewarding.

The Narrow Margin (1952)

This is why I'm hesitant to rewatch movies...I seen The Narrow Margin almost 20 years ago and considered it one of the great noirs. I watched it last night and Marie Windsor was even better than I remembered, but I didn't remember that the story itself had so many gaping plot holes that it almost seemed a comedy. I suppose when a film has an emotional punch, surprise twist ending and you rewatch it, that first time emotion isn't there as you already know what's going to happen. Still it's worth watching for Marie Windsor, but damn if most films produced under the control of Howard Hughes aren't silly as all get out.