Movie Tab II

Tools    

Dead Man (1995)

Yesterday I watched my first Tarkovsky, and today I watched my first from Jim Jarmusch. Dead Man, is a B&W western that got exponentially worse as it moved along. During the opening train scene I expected this to be around a three star film, but it just got slower and slower. The film was extremely boring, and got repetitive beyond belief. Being a Johnny Depp hater I didn't like his character in this film either. He plays a naive man, and is for once playing someone fairly quite, but still irritating. I have no idea what the film was trying to tell the audience, what was the message of this all? If there is one Jarmusch sure kept it hidden (I will still be watching more of his films though).

H (2002)

H is a gruesome Korean thriller, which "borrows" many ideas from Silence of the Lambs. A man who commits brutal murders of pregnant women is imprisoned, the murders keep happening. The detectives of the case then constantly interview the man trying to solve the puzzle. If SOtL never existed, this would be much more appreciated. I did predict the ending early on, and much of the acting was overdone, but something about this film touched me. I think the uniqueness was the tension between detectives, the back to backs got almost as brutal as the crime. The film was gory from the start, and not for people with a weak stomach. I wouldn't confuse this for anything good, but it was a worthy watch. The rating is generous, but I can't go lower.
-

A Walk to Remember (2002, Shankman):
+
La Vida de los peces (2010, Bize):

Moonrise Kingdom (2012, W. Anderson):
+
The Man Who Came to Dinner (1942, Keighley):

P.S. I Love You (2007, LaGravenese):
+
Get Carter (1971, Hodges):
+ (rewatch)
Grand Hotel (1932, Goulding):
+
Moon (2009, Jones):
+
Dodge City (1939, Curtiz):
+
The Formula (1980, Avildsen):

Unthinkable (2010, Jordan):

Village of the Damned (1960, Rilla):
+
Death in Venice (1971, Visconti):
+
Nue Propriété (2006, LaFosse):

Little Caesar (1931, LeRoy):

Dangerous Liaisons (1988, Frears):

Blue Velvet (1986) by David Lynch

The Grandmother (1970) by David Lynch

Fear of Fear (1975) by Rainer Werner Fassbinder
+

Sonatine (1993) by Takeshi Kitano
+

The Puppetmaster (1993) by Hou Hsiao-Hsien

The French Connection (1971) by William Friedkin

French Connection II (1975) by John Frankenheimer

The Brood (1979) by David Cronenberg

Where Is the Friend's Home? (1987) by Abbas Kiarostami

A Perfect World (1993) by Clint Eastwood

The Kentucky Fried Movie (1977) by John Landis

Pickpocket (1959) by Robert Bresson

The Sacrifice (1986) by Andrei Tarkovskij
+

Heresy! I found it pretty hard to watch the first time and I didn't really know what to make of it either, but the second time around I wasn't so blindsided by it. It has an overwhelmingly dreamlike atmosphere, and it is an exploration of memory, so I think it's supposed to give you a headache.
If it is supposed to give you a headache it is supposed to be bad. Anyway, maybe in a few years I will try to watch this movie again.

Ratings:

Once Upon a Time in America
(Sergio Leone, 1984)

High Plains Drifter (Clint Eastwood, 1973)
+
Gran Torino (Clint Eastwood, 2008)
-
Million Dollar Baby (Clint Eastwood, 2004)
+
Navajo Joe (Sergio Corbucci, 1966)

Men In Black 3 (Barry Sonnenfeld, 2012)

Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (George Miller, 1981)

La Jetée (Chris Marker, 1962)
(Short Film)
Harvie Krumpet (Adam Elliot, 2003)
(Short Film)
Mary and Max (Adam Elliot, 2009)
+
Death Proof (Quentin Tarantino, 2007)
+
Inglourious Basterds (Quentin Tarantino, 2009)
(Rewatch)
Kill Bill: Vol. 1 (Quentin Tarantino, 2003)
(Rewatch)
Kill Bill: Vol. 2 (Quentin Tarantino, 2004)
+ (Rewatch)

Further thoughts:

The first film Once Upon a Time in America was one I had been meaning to watch for a long time as a huge Sergio Leone fan, it turned out to be everything I expected and more, a true masterpiece. This is copied from another thread: Whilst I think Goodfellas and The Godfather are both masterpieces, I think this might just be better because not only does it succeed as a gangster film, but it is also better in the way it deals with it's characters and various human aspects - greed, violence, betrayal, friendship/relationships - we have characters like 'Noodles' who are some of the most disgusting, brutal characters we have ever seen yet you feel frustrated and sorry to them because of how they constantly make the bad choices when they think they are doing something right, or what they deserve/are entitled to. De Niro's performance is brilliant and there's just so much I could write about his character. Despite being four hours long as well, this film is constantly engaging, like a magical dream, it feels real yet has a mysterious and surreal aspect to, which is helped by the way the story is told.

Next up is three Clint Eastwood films, a director I had been meaning to explore further following my love for Unforgiven and to a lesser extent Mystic River. High Plains Drifter was on Sky Classics so I took this opportunity to watch one of his first ever films as a director, you can draw many parralels between this film and the superior Unforgiven in his approach to the revisionist, violence filled West. What I enjoyed about Unforgiven was how he dealt with important themes and concepts often associated with the West such as good versus evil and the glamorised violence, High Plains Drifter is very much similar in the fact we are immediately introduced to an anti-hero rapist, a brutal murderer yet a man who is supposed to be the town's saviour, I like the supernatural feel of the film represented in Eastwood's mysterious ghost like character which I may talk more about if I review it. Gran Torino I borrowed in DVD format from a friend of mine, again another highly enjoyable film. Although relatively straightforward and quite compact in how it fits its story into its runtime, Eastwood packs it with important human messages and meaning as we watch a man filled with racism and prejudice, although at times it felt a bit clichéd and convenient, it was highly enjoyable as we see the violent side of Eastwood that we often associate with him. Million Dollar Baby was the best film of the three though and is now my second favourite film of Eastwood, once again the story is told in a relatively straightforward way without any unnecessary effects or devices employed by the director, instead we let the performances take over the film (much like Mystic River), the film is extremely powerful and touching in it's message about the human life, relationships, goals etc. and I can honestly say that I found the ending (well, the whole film) very moving.

Navajo Joe is a lesser known Spaghetti Western that appeared on TCM (noticed Mark F watched it recently as well) and I decided to watch because of Tarantino's use of the music in Kill Bill and how the director has been influenced by Corbucci in general. The music is one of the film's strong points, although as a low budget Spaghetti Western it's almost everything you'd expect. It has some moments of greatness, some well shot scenes and visuals, all the sets/costumes are pretty good, but the plot is quite weak, some of the editing for the fighting is incredibly poor - Joe seems to be able to jump about 20 metres, but it was enjoyable to watch nonetheless. Men In Black 3 was on Sky On Demand and I ended up watching it despite not really liking either of the first two films when I was younger, I thought this to be pretty good though, nothing great but an enjoyable film, I liked how they chose Brolin to play the role of a younger Tommy Lee Jones, a good ending too. I recorded and watched Mad Max 2 because I watched the first film a few weeks ago and thought it was pretty good, this was pretty much more of the same and gets the same rating from me, some good gritty visuals and well done scenes (I love a lot of the road chase scenes) but I don't really get the character of 'Mad Max' who before watching the films I was expecting to be some crazy violent maniac when in reality he seems pretty normal and contained.

La Jetée I decided to watch because donniedarko decided to watch it recently for his self challenge thread and I noticed after that other members also seemed to hold it in high regard. I give it the same rating as donniedarko, a beautiful experimental film and one of the most fascinating works I have ever seen, the story and the way it's told is truly great and quite touching as well despite being all still images, except for a few seconds - which seemed like magic. You can find my reviews/thoughts on Harvie Krumpet and Mary and Max in the trade-off thread.

The final bunch of films belong to Quentin Tarantino. If you didn't know he was one of my favourite directors then you probably do now. Death Proof was the only film that I watched that I hadn't seen before (and means I've now seen every Tarantino film) and I went in with kind of low expectations, I was pleasantly surprised by the fim. The first half of the film was especially great, I actually loved it, all the bar stuff and up until the hospital scenes are brilliant, really dark and gritty stuff and the introduction of the fantastic character in Stuntman Mike, Tarantino does a great job here and I actually loved the old grindhouse movie feel and just wish I could have seen this in the cinemas, love how the film was physically scratched to achieve it's look too. The second half I didn't like so much, when it actually stops the old feel and goes to a cleaner picture and a new set of girls, everything gets a lot more colourful - lots of bright colours, yellows, pinks, set in the day time, bright sun etc. - and it turns into more of a girlfriend fun style comedy, whilst I got what was happening I think it would of been better had it kept up it's first half style all the way through.

The other three (or two) Tarantino films I watched with my younger cousin who had never seen a film of his before. Every time I watch Inglourious Basterds it just gets better for me and I think this might just be his second best film, I definitely need to write a review about everything I love in the film. The Kill Bill films seem to be a bit hit and miss around here, some people really like them or others see them as a bit of lull for Tarantino as a director, personally I love them and find them to be two hours of great fun and a fantastic film watching experience, I love the world Tarantino creates and the characters the inhabit it, I want to watch and listen to these characters for hours. My real life friends, and a few people on here tend to think that the first part is stronger, but I've always preferred the second, the half with more substance, background story, character development and talking - something which you'll either love/hate.

Have you seen Grindhouse. I prefer it to DP, but I like both. Also glad you liked La Jetee, Gran Tarino, and MDB so much. I think they all deserve a

Have you seen Grindhouse. I prefer it to DP, but I like both. Also glad you liked La Jetee, Gran Tarino, and MDB so much. I think they all deserve a
The Death Proof I saw was the almost 2 hour version that was in my Tarantino blu-ray set, I'm going to try and watch Planet Terror when I can, the other part of Grindhouse. Would have been great to go to the cinema and seen it with the double-feature, fake trailers in between and all that. And glad you agree with me and like the others as well, I only watched La Jetee because of your praise in your self challenge

Precious tritium is what makes this project go.
The Death Proof I saw was the almost 2 hour version that was in my Tarantino blu-ray set, I'm going to try and watch Planet Terror when I can, the other part of Grindhouse. Would have been great to go to the cinema and seen it with the double-feature, fake trailers in between and all that. And glad you agree with me and like the others as well, I only watched La Jetee because of your praise in your self challenge
You can actually buy the whole Grindhouse package, with the trailers and all...I have one on my shelf.

However, it is expensive...I think.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo on 2013-03-25 at 20.22 #2.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	10326  

ranked:

San Francisco (1936)

Fires Were Started (1943)

Passport to Pimlico (1949)

Frankenweenie (2012)

Pineapple Express (2008)

The 'Burbs (1989)

Due Date (2010)

Make Way for Tomorrow (1937)

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind (2002)

The Case of the Lucky Legs (1935)

Diabolique (1955)

Monte Walsh (1970)

Following the Unreturned Soldiers: Malaysia (1970)

Snow White and the Huntsman (2012)

Parrish (1961)

The Campaign (2012)

Battle of the bulge (1965)

short films:

A Diary for Timothy (1945)

Little Red Rabbit Hood (1941)

The Heckling Hare (1940)

Tortoise Beats Hare (1941)

Hyde and Hare (1955)

Baby Buggy Bunny (1954)

Slick Hare (1947)

Rabbit Transit (1947)

Films I've seen this month, so far

Seven Psychopaths -

Wall·E -

There Will Be Blood -

12 Angry Men -
+
Up -

Blow Out -

Gladiator -
+
The Third Man -

Can't believe I've only seen eight.

Diabolique was okay, certainly worth seeing. I thought of Drowning by Numbers in a couple places. Other than that the best part of it were the odd supporting characters and details - and I liked how many there were, it had some nice world-building outside the main plot - something I usually appreciate. I also enjoyed the macabre/theatrical reveal, but otherwise the double-cross was pretty standard and I predicted it shortly after the body disappeared. The triple-cross hint at the end might make it worth reconsidering at some point, but it was too cute for me to really buy it this time around. There was also just a long stretch in the middle where my frustration with the naive victim got the better of my pity/interest, where the only feeling I had was a wish that I could shake her by the scruff of the neck until she woke up. I had the same problem (times 10) with Dancer in the Dark, actually.

You can actually buy the whole Grindhouse package, with the trailers and all...I have one on my shelf.

However, it is expensive...I think.
There´s a Canadian release (non boxset) with everything on one disc that I got for around 15 bucks.

There was also just a long stretch in the middle where my frustration with the naive victim got the better of my pity/interest, where the only feeling I had was a wish that I could shake her by the scruff of the neck until she woke up. I had the same problem (times 10) with Dancer in the Dark, actually.
Oh I def. experienced that in Dancer in the Dark, but I think that if a film can make me feel such frustration it´s powerful on its own. But ya I see what your saying, but I did not feel that she was as naive as Bjork.

In the Beginning...

Dredd (Travis, 2012)

Can't say I'm a fan of the Judge Dredd comics, or the 1995 Stallone film, but I am a fan of Alex Garland and the team that put this little low-budget piece together. A smartly grounded story and clever art/visual effects department makes this a surprisingly fantastic watch, with Karl Urban perfectly capturing Dredd's hard-boiled personality.

My only complaint is that they didn't push the art direction far enough into the bizarre, and of course there's a bit of laughable acting (although Urban is totally forgivable). Those really are minor gripes, however, given that the film is deftly paced and the action is awesome. The "slo-mo" effect is used to great success too, although I can imagine it made for an unusual theater experience in 3D.

Blow (2001)

Blow is a 2001 biopic on the cocaine trafficker George Jung. Jung actually seems to have lived a dragging boring life based on what this movie showed. While the film has some explicit drug use, it has strict boundaries. Little sex and violence for a drug trade movie, and most of it is censored. The people behind the film carelessly added and dispensed of characters, as if it was nothing. Depp never showed who Jung was, and Cruz didn’t shine bright either. The first 40 minutes are especially slow, and all the film does is go bad to good and back again. One of the writers was Nick Cassavates (son of John and Gena Rowlands) and along with his co writer carelessly over used words such as “perfect”. The film is far from entertaining, and let alone perfect. Follows all the rules, except to take a risk. Never really gets anywhere, and is like watching a kid ride on a swing set.
or a
-

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I remember when meatwad used to give most movies too high or too low ratings, and then I told him that most films fall in the middle ground if you're using the ratings correctlly. Think of a Bell Curve.

I remember when meatwad used to give most movies too high or too low ratings, and then I told him that most films fall in the middle ground if you're using the ratings correctlly. Think of a Bell Curve.
I think my average rating is a

In my last 15 viewing it looked like this

Which equates to an average of: 2.8

Seem down the middle enough for me, anything above a 3 is good for me. Anything below isn't. But I'll keep the bellcurve in mind.

Since the last post here:

Confessions Of A Dangerous Mind (2002) - I didn't even know what this film is about,watched it because of Sam Rockwell,ended up liking it but it's something I'll never rewatch,I think.

L'armée des ombres (1969) - rewatched this one and sadly I didn't like it as much as I used to.However,it is still extremely realistic and,therefore,more emotional,I haven't seen anything like it before.

Stalker (1979) - also rewatched it and loved it even more.From what I've seen from Tarkovsky,I noticed that this one has the most dialogues,guess this is biggest reason why I adore it so much.Also, I love how Tarkovsky shoots his films playing with color,sound and long takes.

Network (1976) - I was very surprised with this film as I really liked it and it's quite rare that I love a film from the first watch.I think it's the heavy dialogue that caught my attention.Now I think of it very highly,not sure how I will rate it later.

Star Wars Original Trilogy (1977-1983) - It's the first time I watched Star Wars since my childhood.I loved the first film and unlike others,didn't enjoy Empire Strikes Back as much as the first movie,I would rate it as same as the VI one.So,it's ~
for the whole trilogy.

The White Ribbon (2009) - I think it's my first Haneke film and actually I didn't enjoy it.I will not hide that I didn't even understood exactly what it is about.After watching it and looking through some reviews I believe I got its message about Germany,nazis,evil etc. but it's not only the bad nature of humans that bring wars and nazis.So whatever Haneke tried to prove,it didn't convince me.Also,probably it's just me but I found it hard to watch as,at first,there were too many characters.On the other hand,I don't think anyone can argue with its technical achievements.I don't even know what made it look so astonishing but it certainly managed to create the atmosphere which perfectly matched the film.I also think that plot was quite interesting and captivating at times.Anyway,I actually wanted to like the film but I didn't.

Letters From Iwo Jima (2006) - I noticed that the more war films I watch,the more skeptical I am about them and while this one is quite accurate and doesn't take sides,I think it's sentimental.Moreover,personally,I'm not a fan of C.Eastwood films,I find them either too dramatic or non-dramatic at all.But,like The White Ribbon,visually it looked good(loved the dark colors) and finally people are talking the in languages they are supposed to talk.

I'm on WW2 marathon,starting with the film above,so I will be back with more.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Gun Crazy {Joseph H. Lewis, 1950)

Angels & Demons (Ron Howard, 2009)

Posse From Hell (Herbert Coleman, 1961)

Fish Tank (Andrea Arnold, 2009)
+
Last Exit to Brooklyn (Uli Edel, 1989)

The Dreamers (Bernardo Bertolucci, 2003))

Out of Africa (Sydney Pollack, 1985)

Red-Headed Woman (Jack Conway, 1932)

The Strawberry Blonde (Raoul Walsh, 1941)

A Woman’s Secret (Nicholas Ray, 1949)

The English Patient (Anthony Minghella, 1996)

The Big Circus (Joseph M. Newman, 1959)

Ada (Daniel Mann, 1961)
+
Push (Paul McGuigan, 2009)

The Trial (Orson Welles, 1962)

Sunrise at Campobello (Vincent J. Donohue, 1960)

The Golden Hawk (Sidney Salkow. 1952)

So Big (Robert Wise, 1953)

Free Money (Yves Simoneau, 1998)
+
Stolen Summer (Pete Jones, 2002)

Day of Wrath (Carl Theodore Dreyer, 1943)
Art House Rating:

Terror in a Texas Town (Joseph H. Lewis, 1958)

woah, a lot I'd like to know more about here Mark. But mainly these two.

The Trial (Orson Welles, 1962)

Terror in a Texas Town (Joseph H. Lewis, 1958)
I found both impressive, especially The Trial. What didn't you like about it? I love all the poetic metaphors, and the character development. An extremely eerie film.

Also what did you of Sterling Hayden in Terror in a Texas Town? I didn't really like his performance, but loved his weapon of choice.