zenderella's Fan Girl Views

→ in
Tools    

Don't torture yourself, Gomez. That's my job.
Huzzah! And this day shall be remembered as the day zenderella shot herself in the foot!

Anyway, so I thought it was about damn time I started my own rambles on the movies I watch.

Please not the thread title, these won't be traditional review critiques. What you will be getting (and hopefully in an enjoyable fashion) is one little fan girl, geeking out over her love that is the awesomeness (it's a word) of movies.

Enjoy!

"And our credo: "Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc." We gladly feast on those who would subdue us. Not just pretty words."

Just to get the ball rolling and you give you an idea of how I might write, I thought I'd post this little view I wrote in February 2010. This is a pretty random one that I was was having fun with. It also includes my favourite things, which is sneaking in quotes from other movies. I hope you enjoy!

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004)

Warning: You are about to read a potentially amazing/terrible rant about a film called The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, one of the great works by Wes Anderson. This could potentially contain spoilers because when I rant I tend to ramble. That's what makes it a rant. Well it's not that it will contain spoilers, it's just that it might not _not_ contain spoilers. Are you following?

But hey, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou has been out since 2004, so if you haven't seen it yet, it's your own fault. I mean you couldn't have been desperate to see it, otherwise you'd have gone already. But the word "yet"..

Do you remember in English your teacher giving you that silly challenge when you just have to write and write without pausing or stopping to even think properly until they said stop. Well that's how I'm writing this. Thought it would be nice to shake things up a tad and just see what happens.

So here we have it, another Wes Anderson film. I'm on a bit of a kick. Well, a kick that started with Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009) two weekends ago, followed by me watching The Life Aquatic about three days later, and only now writing about it. But a kick none the less.

Remember when I spoke about Bill Murray being a Comedy Genius. It's still true, and this film in no exception. As the lead role of Steve Zissou he triumphs again. Steve Zissou who is very much a parody or perhaps homage to Jacques Cousteau and is a unique creature not unlike the sea creatures he encounters.

Oh I just love this film for heaps of reason. I love the little red hats and blue track suits the whole crew wears. I love Bill and Anjelica Huston together. Actually here's a little tangent about Anjelica Huston. I love her. Ever since I saw her in The Addams Family (1991) with her long dark hair and her pointy nose, I've felt a bond that will never be broken. I understood the strangeness of growing up with Witch like features and as she grows older with such grace and beauty I applaud her. You go Glen Coco, I mean Anjelica Huston.

Where was I? Oh The Aquatic Life.. the love I have for it's little stop animation sea creatures and it's as always, amazingly (it's a word) tender and beautiful dialog by The Mighty Wes. Oh, now that I think about it. This film makes me feel a little forlorn. The story of Steve Zissou, an Oceanographer and Film Maker that seems to have passed his prime and "the people" have lost faith in his abilities. But not his people, they still have the faith and it's touching. Then along comes a possible long lost son (Owen Wilson), his wife (Anjelica Huston) leaves him, his funding for his next film is taken away, oh and I forgot his best friend was eaten.

Too be honest it doesn't get any better. Yes stuff happens and his peeps still stand by him but I'm not sure how I'm meant to walk away from it. Am I meant to be happy, still not sure. Bit like The Lovely Bones (2009) in that regard.

Eeee, I haven't mentioned Cate Blanchett's character yet, and she is my favourite. She's a reporter who is pregnant and comes on board to travel with Steve Zissou and write a "Puff Piece" to help him out. From memory, she was actually pregnant when she made this, and just glows all the way through.

What was my point? Oh the rant and rambling. Mission Achieved. The End.

One more old review, just to get things moving. This one is from December 2009! Hence the refenences to 2012 (2009). Ack! New stuff will follow, I promise!

Zombieland (2009)

Zombie movies are wonderful. I adore them. You already know my feelings on disaster movies, well multiply that by about ten, and you have my admiration for the zombie genre.

The worlds gone to hell, and that leaves humans a minority, and whats there to do but fight back or be eaten. The mighty battle against the odds, the fight for survival. Zombie movies explore human nature in its rarest form, and I'm not talking about the zombies. I'm talking about how mans true nature comes out in life and death situations, and the most awesome of those situations is the Zombie Apocalypse. Zombie films create wonderful discussions amongst friends as to what one would do if a zombie outbreak really did occur. Would you survive? What would be your survival plan? What items do you have in your house that you could use to bash a zombies head in?

I imagine this could very well be how Zombieland came into the world. A bunch of mates sitting around debating what they would do if an outbreak happened right now. I could explain the plot of this movie, but its really not important. You know when you watch a film and it starts off with all the fun and whimsical moments, but then gets serious and dramatic. Well, Zombieland is pretty much only the fun and whimsical moments and as a result it is.. wait for it.. awesome.

I walked out of the cinema and immediately wanted to just walk right back in and see it again.

Every character in this film is likable. I have to give massive props to Woody Harrelson. After his cameo in 2012 (2009) and now this, well, he is the Top of my Pops at the moment. Jesse Eisenburg (aka The Other Michael Cera) is just delightful as well.

I had the best time watching this movie. Its just enjoyable the whole way through. Is it deep? No. Is it light on plot? Yes. Do I care? No. Do you just want to have a kick ass time? Yes? Then go see Zombieland as soon as humanly possible. You'll have some laughs and watch some zombies get their heads bashed in. What more could a gal ask for.

Welcome to the human race...
Free association reviews? Alright.

Also, I saw Zombieland as soon as humanly possible and...well...nah. Something about it just felt so...hollow. Remember reading somewhere that it was originally going to be pitched as a TV series, and if anything the movie comes across as a warmed-over pilot that was nowhere near as awesome as the hype and fan worship would've led me to believe.

The Life Aquatic, on the other hand, I liked.