Name of my childhood romantic movie...

Tools    

Hi everybody,

I am looking for the name of a romantic movie(which I had seen on TV many many years ago). It is maybe from 80's or 90's.

The film is basically about a boy who becoming a man starts falling in love with a girl from the neighborhood, who at first isn't interested in him at all. However he doesn't give up, fights for her "attention" long and hard so as to prove his determination, that he even beats another wooer of hers in an unfair boxing match(the opponent fights with a horseshoe in his glove!). Eventually the young women falls in love with the never giving up guy, too. The movie however ends up oddly - the young man has to join the army forces and gets killed by a mine(I guess in the Second World War), which brings us to the meaning of the film, and that is - what is the meaning of love? That after such an incredible fight it can be(is)lost(in the movie the lover).

Some scenes I remember from the movie are: - kids diving deep in a lake, where there is a shipwreck on the bottom - one kid however gets stuck in the wreck and so cannot come back to the shore. - the girl and boy racing horses in a beautiful scenery of nature(Australia?) - at the boxing with the other guy, the boy is lying on the floor almost beaten, when in the ray of light he spots the girl's face, afterwhich he just gets on his feet and with "inexplicable" overwhelming energy eventually beats the other guy and wins...

Has anyone else seen this movie too? Does anyone know its name?

Thanks for your help!
Honza from Prague.