The Two Towers

→ in
Tools    

Oh my god, what has he done to the story,

there are seans thet never happend in the books

events get mixed into one (why to save money)

the effects were all that carried the movie not the story

sorry it sucked

i have been a fan for most of my 34 yrs but this is not what i dreamed

The plot was jostled pretty liberally this time, but the essence of the story remains the same, and the tone and characters and the bringing to life of Middle Earth is just as perfect as it was for the first installment.

These movies would have to be six or seven hours long each to get every single thing form the book on the screen. That's just unrealistic and beyond impractical. The trick to adaptation, especially a book as dense as The Lord of thre Rings, is to find a throughline with major plot points and keep as many characters and motivations in tact as possible. Thus far Peter Jackson and co. have done an admirable and amazing job.

Of course they're not the books exactly. Go re-read them again if that's the pure experience you want to duplicate over and over. As a lifelong fan of Tolkien, I'm enjoying the Hell out of these film realizations.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

yeah, obviously there's no replacement for the books, and i dont think it's reasonable to expect the films to equal them.
my general complaint, as with just about every major movie, is that there was too much music. i think the perfect example of this, and the one that struck me the hardest, was when it started to rain at helms deep. the sound of the water striking off the orcs armor was more than sufficient to build tension (and atmosphere). the background choir was just overkill.
--sigh, ah well, i guess i cant have it all.
besides that, this movie was amazing. it even rectified my one *major* complaint about the first (that it failed to establish gollum as a character), so yeah, if all i have to complain about is too much music, this is one damn fine movie in my book.

by the way, has anyone seen/liked the 1978 ralph bakshi version of the fellowship? i liked that one better than the first instalment of the new (peter jackson) lotr, but a bit less than this one; just for good measure.

Originally posted by linespalsy
yeah, obviously there's no replacement for the books, and i dont think it's reasonable to expect the films to equal them.
my general complaint, as with just about every major movie, is that there was too much music.
I thought there was too LITTLE music. The first had more...and used it to greater effect.

i think the perfect example of this, and the one that struck me the hardest, was when it started to rain at helms deep. the sound of the water striking off the orcs armor was more than sufficient to build tension (and atmosphere). the background choir was just overkill.
Agreed...but it didn't diminish the scene much at all for me.

it even rectified my one *major* complaint about the first (that it failed to establish gollum as a character)
Gollum hardly came into the plot in the first, though. He was touched upon briefly...what more were they supposed to do?

by the way, has anyone seen/liked the 1978 ralph bakshi version of the fellowship? i liked that one better than the first instalment of the new (peter jackson) lotr
Please. Be. Joking.

"I thought there was too LITTLE music. The first had more...and used it to greater effect."

>i disagree. in general, i find most film soundtracks unnecessary and intrusive. the only great effect the first one served to my ears was to keep me from giving my fullest attention to the movie.

"Agreed...but it didn't diminish the scene much at all for me."

>it didnt ruin the scene for me, but it very much diminished it. but i guess if i cant sell you on my general distaste for music in film, then i cant expect you to agree with me fully on this point.

"Gollum hardly came into the plot in the first, though. He was touched upon briefly...what more were they supposed to do?"

>they trimmed down his introduction (the story of his past, as told by gandalf at bilbo's house, and the conversation that follows) in the first movie. while to some this may seem like a minor point, i've always thought gollum was one of the most important characters to the story (not to mention my favorite), and that passage is one of the most effective in the book. to not do it full justice, is to me, unexcusable. the bakshi version, among other things, did do full justice to that. hense, i had a very big problem with the first enstalment of the new trilogy. while i still liked it, it was tainted for me. (i also have some other fundamental complaints about the first, mostly dealing with gandalf, which i dont really think are necessary to get into here).

"Please. Be. Joking. "

>no. sorry. i'm. not. joking. above i mentioned one of the reasons i prefered the bakshi version of fellowship. i also liked the way it looked better. i think that movie has generally been given a raw deal by fans. dig?

I loved it. I wanted to see more Ringwraiths though. There werent enuff huge musical cues either, like the first one had. AND THE RINGWRAITH THEME WAS MISSING!!! That was bad ass. But other than that the movie OWNS. Helluva lot better than Attack of the Clowns.

It's interesting that near the end Samwise says, "This isn't at all right, we shouldn't even be here". I'm curious if that was Jackson's way of saying, "I know, I know, I changed it".

Things I like about this movie:

1. Merry and Pippen weren't comic relief again, in the books Merry turns into quite the bad@ss.
2. Smeagol was awsome!
3. Treebeard didn't say, "Ho-Hum" at the beginning of every sentence.
4. Wormtounge was cast perfectly.
5. Gimly had more lines, even though he wound up being the comic relief this time.
6. It had one of the greatest opening scenes in movie history.

Things that I didn't like so much:

1. Farimir is less honorable than in the book.
2. The trailers gave away Gandalfs return for the uninitiated.
3. It didn't end like the book, but oh well.

That's about it. I loved the movie, more than the first even. Not because there was more fighting, but because I liked the character development more.

Oh, anybody else think that the trailers before the movie were extremely LAME!!!???
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Just about where the movie ends [I see the film on the 26th so I haven't seen it yet]. I have always found it sad knowing that things are being shifted around a little at the end of TTT and the beginning of ROTK, just knowing that the film wouldn't end with a slow pull back from Sam sitting against the rock door of the Orcs totally alone. Fade out.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
The Two Towers was incredible. I loved the story, the battle sequences, and I thought Gollum/Smeagol just rocked. They did an awesome job of bringing him to life. I also liked the talking trees. Who knew trees could kick so much @ss? I want the next one to come out right now!

And yes, with the exception of the X-Men 2 promo, all the trailers sucked. I can't even remember what they were for anymore. One of them had Vin Diesel or something...

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Yes, The Two Towers was incredible. The story was great and the battle sequences just were outstanding. Gollum cracked me up . I saw it at my theater on the midnight showing. The best time I ever had !!!

And yes, with the exception of the X-Men 2 promo, all the trailers sucked. I can't even remember what they were for anymore. One of them had Vin Diesel or something
The Trailers I saw:

Dumb and Dumberer:When Jake Meets Lloyd - W/out Carrey and what's his name.
Diablo - The film w/Vin Diesel which coming out 2003. I saw it March of of 2002. It's pretty good
Anger Management - Adam Sandler
Bruce Almighty- Jim Carrey
X-Men 2-May 2003
A Movie about the guy who created the Gong Show (sounds interesting).
and
Terminator 3:Rise of the Machines "MUST SEE!"
Bad Boys 2

The movie about the Gong Show creator is called Confessions of a Dangerous Mind and was directed by George Clooney from the legendary and near mythical screenplay by Adaptation scribe, Charlie Kaufmann. Just so you know.

Follow the White Rabbit ...
Right, lets get this straight before I begin. I LOVE film. Film is my life. Film, art, and film as art. I loved FoTR.

It seems that in most cases, the audience going to see TTT had made up their minds before actually going to see the film. People wanted to love TTT, and understandably, my own opinion is that people are looking to re-create the experience surrounding certain "classic" movies when they were younger (not forgetting how high the original film raised the bar). So I'll begin *takes deep breath*

The fake Aragorn death sequence/Warg attack felt totally out of place to me, tacked on, interrupting the flow of the film. Jackson's continual portrayal of characters supposedly falling to their doom is growing a little tired already, and it is as if he were influenced by huge musical number in the middle of Big Idea’s Jonah, and decided the God of second chances rules over Middle-Earth also.

I keep hearing talk of the film requiring an extra hour, this is non-sense, the film could easily have been 45mins shorter, in fact this may have been beneficial in its current state. The climax took way to look to reach, the characters continually moving around the key issues, seemingly forever was taken before any sort of decisive action was reached (there are other ways to portray arduous decision making on film, opposed to Peter Jackson's method, dragging out the story).

Actually, the amount of material left out of TTT suggests to me that several crucial parts of the book will not make it into RoTK. The scouring of the shire for one, this imo being one of the most important parts of the story, showing how evil can exist in even the smallest of entities.

Faramir was also heavily short changed in this film (Faramir was one of Tolkien's most respected characters; for his nobility and courage ... everything that saw in Boromoir and not him). In this adaptation he appears as some sub-Boromir, simply letting Frodo go as he has a bit of a scare with the Nazgul! He should've been presented as the anti-Boromir, a wise strong warrior with an understanding of the corruption of the ring.

Other things I didn't like; I loved the Ents, yes, however Treebeard felt too focused, taking Merrry and Pippin to see Gandalf. What!? Sam and Frodo's story was well done, although I still don't think Sam was given justice. He's such a strong and important character, and I don't believe such a light was cast on him (perhaps the only indicator being the "Samwise the Brave" moment). Although I believe Frodo's "change," corruption by the ring, has been shown perfectly. The Legolas shield-slide just felt wrong, as did the fact that during the Rohirrim encounter he rode a horse with a saddle! Gandalf's exorcism (?) of Theoden didn't sit right with me, the fact that there was a bar room style brawl taking place in the background felt, wrong (I've been saying that a lot, lol). I also wish Arwen would stay on her spot, as in the books, instead of getting a role boost just because she's Liv Tyler.

Yes, Helm's Deep is indeed one of the best battle I've seen on film, comparable even to such classic works as Akira Kurosawa's Ran. TTT's appeal is more in the sense of a visual epic than a narrative one I believe ...

I wait patiently for the SEV, as although this film is fundamentally flawed, it is still part of a landmark cinematic project, and I did want to LOVE it, lol. It left an empty feeling with me at the end. Visually it is stunning, and performances by the actors great, however for me it just felt ... disjointed. Alot of the sequences, as individual set peices were stunning I admit, but it just didn't *feel* like it worked for me, as a picture overall. I've only seen it once, so my opinion my sway on repeat viewings.

not released here until the 26th December........

AND......you have to pre-book your ticket!!!!!!......

"I'm your hell, I'm your dream.......I'm nothing in between.......You know you wouldn't want it any other way".........

"Listen, when I slap you, you'll take it and like it"..........Humphrey Bogart..........Maltese Falcon.......

Graze on my lips and if those hills be dry, stray lower, where the pleasant fountains lie...........William Shakespeare.......

I finally saw it. I liked it, but not as much as FOTR. There were quite a few more goofy lines in this one. What in the hell was Sam talking about when he commented on why Boromir died?? He died because he was vastly outnumbered by a bunch of orcs, not because he was consumed by the power of the ring.

Sam wasn't there to see that, maybe he was just using the information he had known about, and made assumptions about it to help them in their present situation.

Ah, yes, but the power of the ring brought Boromir to the place where he would suffer at the hands of a vast bunch of Orcs. Or something like that.

Seeing The Two Towers this evening at eight [it opened today, so it isn't like I have been putting it off....]

Originally posted by The Silver Bullet
Ah, yes, but the power of the ring brought Boromir to the place where he would suffer at the hands of a vast bunch of Orcs. Or something like that.
Precisely. Indirectly, it killed him.

Although, one could conclude that since Sam wasn't there, he might've been making an educated but purposely exaggerated guess to convince Faramir to relent. It seems unlike Sam to bend or stretch the truth, but he may ver ywell hold a "by any means" necessary philosophy (more or less) towards their quest.