Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Weird is relative.

Such campy fun. I loved it. (And Elvira is hot, hot, hot.)

★★★½

I meant the actual stars. A change from popcorn boxes.
Just Copy and Paste this - ★★★★★

Keep it somewhere so you have it when you want it. That post you quoted is a screenshot though, the stars in that picture are the ones on Letterboxd.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I meant the actual stars. A change from popcorn boxes.
What Camo wrote plus ½ for half stars
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

THE PICTURE SHOW MAN: (1977) .
This rather obscure Oz flick depicts the beginnings of cinema in Australia. It is the 1920s and an enterprising man, his son and a piano player travel around Australia showing the first silent movies. Their dream however is to stay at one place and open up a cinema. Muddying the waters is a hot shot wealthy American who aims to do the same.. bigger, better and in quicker time than the Australians...

I enjoyed the journey this slice of early Australiana took me. I had no problem sympathizing with and relating to the characters as the cast of John Meillon, Rod Taylor and John Ewart were top shelf. Loved the cinematography of inland Australia, while the score and incidental music complemented the pacey, amusing storyline. For those who are not familiar with this gem. I invite you to find it and watch it.

3/5

Re-watch for about the 5-6th time, been about 5 years since I last watched this...Classic Ben Stiller/Cameron Diaz. Although I found this flick a bit boring this time around, its still worth a solid 3/5 just for the ridiculous love...Octagon?

The Hurricane Heist (2018)

I'm easy to please and I thought mixing a robbery with weather disaster sounded like fun. It could have just been mediocre for me to enjoy it but it fell short of even that. No decent characters, performances, or dialogue, and even the special effects were poor. I sometimes compare bad movies to Lifetime movies but in this case it'd be an insult to Lifetime movies. This was like a USA movie and I'm surprised it made it to the cinema. It wasn't the worst movie to sit through, but even then movies I've had a worse time sitting through came down to taste. This was just lousy and stupid.

Unregistered User
REBECCA: (1940)

This multi award-winning film rates among my top three of all time. Rebecca, the screen adaptation of the book by noted author Daphne Du Maurier has it all, sublime acting, (all three leading actors won Academy awards) a pulsating soundtrack driven by a plot of mystery and intrique to keep the most demanding begging for more. First time director Alfred Hitchcock maintains the tension at a steady level until the shattering ending..
The storyline centres on the isolated mansion of Manderlay and its inhabitants..the mysterious housekeeper Mrs Danvers, Max De Winter (Laurence Olivier) and the new Mrs De Winter. (Joan Fontaine) She soon discovers that she must live in the shadow of her husband's former wife Rebecca, who died mysteriously several years earlier. Stealing the show imho is Australian Judith Anderson for her rivetting performance as the disturbed Mrs Danvers.
Rebecca, Hitch's first American film and for which he was awarded the Best Director Oscar, is a must see for devotees of gothic mysery.

A scene from Rebecca.

My favourite Hitch. Great film.

Unregistered User

BlacKKKlansman (2018)

Exceeded all expectations. Both funny and powerful, in particular the ending. Also keep an eye out for the dancing scene, it was brilliant! Probably my favourite Spike Lee film.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...

What a amazing character is Saldago. He is really passionate about his work. He makes a lot of effort to take a pictures. And he saw so much suffering in different places in the world and didn't become bitter.

American History X (1998) - Tony Kaye

- Forever my favorite. Norton is amazing, storyline is powerful and still relevant these days and the ending so devastating. The whole prison part is awesome. I would show this movie in School if I was a teacher. Instant classic and Masterpiece.
++

Samurai Assassin (1965)

I got this from Netflix and it was the first Japanese film my wife was to try. I tell her you know one of my favorite actors Toshiro Mifune is in it, and she was going to guess who he was when he appeared on screen. About 5 minutes in he pops up and she says that's him, obvious because he has such great screen presence, and his character immediately picks his nose and wipes it on his clothes. She's like oh yea your man there is such a charmer. Anyway, he didn't exactly play a character to respect like normal, more the down and out type, but he was great as always. I had a bit of a hard time following this movie so I think a second viewing would benefit me. It was one time where I felt that my lack of knowledge for Japanese culture or history hurt me. It's obviously a strong story but I wasn't a fan of the narration which hasn't been common with the Japanese movies I've seen. Great score and cinematography. Wifey was enjoying it but fell asleep.

Hereditary

For some reason I had in my mind this was Robert Egger's follow up film after The Witch and maybe I heard the comparison somewhere because they are very similar in some ways … it's also very similar to another movie which I wont name but is kind of obvious from the beginning.. I don't think it hides it's influence but there's a few too many going on and whilst not bad, it fails to live up to the hype surrounding it or make anything very original, certainly in storytelling

Thanks to Pirate Bay, I finally got to see Let the Corpses Tan (2018). What I thought was going to be an homage to the poliziotteschi crime genre was more of a love letter to Spaghetti Westerns - though I think it would be fair to say that certain visual elements bled over from one genre to the other. There's definitely more style than substance offered up here - I've heard complaints that the story is borderline incomprehensible if you have no knowledge of the source material, but I found the narrative wasn't that hard to follow. There's definitely some music that some people will recognize: the trailer plays a version of Dies Irae and Sunny Road to Salina is used constantly through the movie. It took a while for me to recognize the female lead in the movie, Elina Löwensohn, whose only work I'm familiar with is Schindler's List (1993) and the gymnast episode of Seinfeld.

Overall, the movie is a delight to look at, but the story takes a back seat to the insane visuals that are stabbing your eyeballs.

RATING:

I don't know how Straight Time (1978) stayed off my radar for this long, this movie is fantastic. The cast can't be beat: Dustin Hoffman, the gorgeous Theresa Russell, pre-crazy Gary Busey and the first role of Jake Busey, M. Emmet Walsh, Kathy Bates, a younger Sandy Baron (Jack Klompus from Seinfeld), and the amazing Harry Dean Stanton. Though he's not credited, I'm pretty sure I saw Eddie Bunker (Mr. Blue from Reservoir Dogs), who wrote both the screenplay and the source material, in a cameo. The story is simple: Dustin Hoffman is a newly released con that tries to go straight, fails, and returns to a life of crime. What’s great about Straight Time is when/where it is set: grimy 70s Los Angeles; and man it doesn’t waste anytime getting started. I thought I was in store for a 2 hour wishy washy movie about trying to stay straight, but within 30 minutes of the movie Dustin Hoffman says **** the man and unapologetically gets down to crime-town. I don’t know how Criterion hasn’t scooped this film up – a fantastic forgotten gem of the late 70s.

RATING:

I'm trying to think of something positive to say about Slenderman (2018), but there's nothing there. I'm usual very forgiving of bad horror movies, but Slenderman commits the ultimate sin: it's really ****ing boring. Nothing remotely scary, redeeming, or interesting to see here. This movie needed to go the route of Sinister (2012) and have the main characters looking up creepy ass Slenderman videos to build up tension, but ultimately the narrative falls flat, and within 5 minutes of the movie starting, you'll be wanting to turn on Marble Hornets.

RATING:

Upgrade (2018)
+
It's dumb fun, but not too dumb. Had pretty good time with it.