Eat More, America, Eat

Tools    

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Why yes, I've sworn to protect my country from enemies foreign and domestic. I consider places like that a domestic threat.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

I'm having a hard time finding the words to justify my hate for that place. I've never eaten there, but I saw a special on it. I know it's more of a novelty-type place, where you go more for the fun rather than the food, but come on. Where should there be a line on what restaurants can and can't offer?

No line ever IMHO.

I'm a free market economy type guy. If no one wants the food it won't get purchased and the restaurant will go under as is the natural process for these things.

I understand your personal distaste for it, I don't love it either... but that shouldn't spark any kind of legislation about what can and can't be served in a restaurant.

I understand your personal distaste for it, I don't love it either... but that shouldn't spark any kind of legislation about what can and can't be served in a restaurant.
Maybe it should spark legislation, but critics of America's waistline shouldn't be so quick to complain about the health situation of, as I said before, a good percentage of America when places like that exist.

But you gotta admit... there aren't many places like that at all. It's just a novelty that'll burn itself out.

What bothers me a lot more is the 'health food' and diet industries. They pump out toxic pills and 'food' and serve it up to the masses... most of whom can't even pronounce 1 in 10 of the ingredients all in the name of making people 'healthy'.

At least the big ass burger place is honest about what it is.

At least the big ass burger place is honest about what it is.
True. I'm not one to suggest diet pills or any type of elixir that'll get you into shape overnight. Most of those things end up getting recalled, anyway. If you choose to eat junk food, that's your thing. I eat junk food sometimes, but I'm also at the gym at least 3 times a week. It's all about finding that perfect balance.

I'm sure the place will burn out, but man, I'm not sure that anyone would be able to bounce back from that.

I'm sure the place will burn out, but man, I'm not sure that anyone would be able to bounce back from that.
If someone is dumb enough to pound their bodies with stuff they know is bad for them then I'm not sure they're guaranteed a bounce back.

I feel the same way about smokers. It's perfectly within someone's right to smoke all they want but they shouldn't be surprised when they get lung cancer. If they're cool with that then so am I. If someone wants to eat those burgers to excess then they shouldn't be surprised when they have a heart attack.

... but if I see 'fat, stupid American' about one more time I'm going to ratchet up my chain saw and go to work on somebody.
Fat... Stupid... American.

Gentlemen, start your engines.

We work longer and harder than other countries, most of our manual labor is outsourced so we sit at desks for hours at a time.
I'm not sure statistics support your "work longer" claim, as in many countries work is not limited to an 8-hr. day or a 40-hr. week. The "work harder" also is questionable since our productivity is greatly enhanced by labor-saving devices. Much of the world still cooks with flame, not electric current or microwaves. And they have to gather the fuel daily since no one delivers it to their homes. In fact, our biggest problem is probably that we have more leisure time that most people on this planet and we spend it sitting on our spreading butts in the movies, at the home computer, and in front of the TV.

American lifestyle (as sold) requires two incomes to attain which leaves less time for exercise and healthy meal preparation.
Don't mean to sound smart aleck about this, but honest to god, my first thought after reading the statement above is that maybe we could solve the problem--or at least balance it out--if just one person went out to earn a living and the other person went to the gym and exercised all day. Actually, you made some good points. And I like the chain-saw idea. Great way to eliminate tons of ugly fat!

I'm not sure statistics support your "work longer" claim, as in many countries work is not limited to an 8-hr. day or a 40-hr. week. The "work harder" also is questionable since our productivity is greatly enhanced by labor-saving devices. Much of the world still cooks with flame, not electric current or microwaves. And they have to gather the fuel daily since no one delivers it to their homes. In fact, our biggest problem is probably that we have more leisure time that most people on this planet and we spend it sitting on our spreading butts in the movies, at the home computer, and in front of the TV.

Don't mean to sound smart aleck about this, but honest to god, my first thought after reading the statement above is that maybe we could solve the problem--or at least balance it out--if just one person went out to earn a living and the other person went to the gym and exercised all day. Actually, you made some good points. And I like the chain-saw idea. Great way to eliminate tons of ugly fat!

I should have thought the whole thing out a little better so thanks for being kind in your response.

The working longer and harder part came from the experiences I've had in working in a blobal company. Many Europeans can (and do) take off of work for months at at a time. If I have to schedule a call with someone overseas I'm usually the one who has to come in at night or very early in the am because long hours at work in the other countries i work with are frowned upon.

You make some good points here too even if you're having fun with me.

Originally Posted by spudracer
If bartenders can cut people off when they've had too much to drink
I hate those! Just because I fell off a bar stool doesn't mean I'm done!

I bounced between 25 lbs underweight to 50 lbs overweight over the last 2 decades. This is according to the height/weight/age chart that the military uses, or did use when I was in. The funny thing is that even though I would say that right now I am about 20 lbs overweight I feel better than when I was underweight. I have a bit of a gut, but that was there even when I was on the low side, think it is a redneck gene or something. Anyway today I was moving furniture up and down stairs because I was helping my daughter move out and my son (180- lbs wet & sporting a six pack) was whining before we were halfway done and breathing like he just ran a marathon. I smacked him on the back of the head and said do not let an old man show you up. Well when we were done I have to admit I felt pretty tired as well as my son. The difference was that an hour later he was off and running and I have to wonder if I am going to be able to walk tommorow. Oh well, I am having chili with cheese over fritos tonight, all is good.