Alien vs Predator : Requiem

→ in
Tools    

A "The Next Best Thing" Quick Review
Aliens vs predator : Requiem

Overview
Aliens and Predators meet again in another epic battle for supremacy. The eighth instalment regarding either of the much loved alien races.

Whats rite with it?
The battle scenes are well captured and there shot in an explosive manner to capture the audiences attention. The CGI aliens look even more authentic than the original pairing (Alien vs Predator) and the sound effects have been cleverly recaptured from the original movies including the scores to both which should keep the oldies happy.

Whats Wrong with it?
Complaints from the first movie suggested we got to much character development and not enough action, Greg and Collin Straus have tried to counter that problem by adding much more action than the first gifted us, problem is, now the cast sucks with everything seeming rushed and wafer thin, having such a large cast doesn’t help this problem either.

For the die hard fans who actually give a damn who 'wins', the alien crowd will not be impressed. The Predator character the wolf is the only predator in the whole movie. which leaves us all aware of the fact that the final show down is being reserved for the Predator vs Predalien momment meaning every Alien vs predator fight prior to that is a forgone conclusion taking away from the tension the fans may be feeling as regards who might actually win the individual tussels.

Verdict

Popcorn Rating

Sorry not even worth a watch, the vast majority wont care to watch a movie that is glaringly missing a plot and the diehards will feel short changed. The result of a drawn out franchise spinoff produced by two overweight special effects guys with big plans, many promises and little knowledge of what it take to direct a good movie.

Please feel free to rate the review and dissagree if you wish, i look foward to hearing your opinions on the review and more importantly the movie itself.

Ceeya Guys

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
my eyes, they hurt

Good review. If you add a 1-5 popcorn rating, though, I can add it to the User Reviews area.
Yup, that's like a medal to me, but I almost never get it, because lets face it, they aren't good

but nice review, meatwa.... I mean next big thing

aww really sorry bout that

youl probably need laser eye treatment after that dodgy font size. i got carried away a bit lol
luckly it didn't change colors, seziures!

look at his "slow reviews" the name, and the review itself reminded me alot of it

Good review.

I guess Yoda didn't start a thread about this because it was just to painful for the little fella.

Anyway I just saw this last night and yeah, sure, it wasn't great or anything it also wasn't nearly as bad as most are making it out to be.

Honestly people you need to lighten up. Its a Sci-fi movie and its pretty rare when one of these is going to be "groundbreaking".

Really the only complaints I have are some of the same ones I had with the first one. Again it was a little too dark so I didn't get to see the big scary monsters as much as I would have liked and I also would totally love it if they would do one of these entirely from the Predator's perspective.

They tried to give us some of that in this film only I wanted more. I was pretty happy that there was only one Predator this time. One Predator is plenty, they are just bad ass. I know there are some out there that think the Alien is the superior creature and that's just a load of hooey, Predator's are killing machines and Aliens are monsters that kill. There is a significant difference.

So, it's obvious to me who is the dominant species here and the Predators in the movies apparently have been kicking some Alien ass for quite a long time. So why not give us their story? Now that would quite possibly be the groundbreaking flick most of you want to see.

Take the first movie for example instead of all that filler with the expendable cast members. Why not start at the beginning of the Predator School for Young Hunters or whatever they call it. They could do about 20 minutes of that and then work their way to the maze pyramid where they have to weave their way through to get their guns. Anyway it will probably never happen but I think it could be a cool movie.

So overall, obviously not a great flick but I still got some enjoyment out of it.

As a fan of the first movie, i have to say that this movie was horrible. The human characters were absolute ****. They need to make a movie thats an hour and a half of Aliens and Predators blowing the **** outta each other in space.

Is the worst of all, but like a fan i am, predator character is specially for me, and i want to see him in action 4ever.

watched it last night and it was horrible. it made me totally lose (what little) respect for the Pred - the incompetence he showed was shocking, to say the least.

human element? totally necessary, because (and maybe this is the girl in me) if there were no humans, that would have been one colossal waste of my time. the animals are animals, the humans are me, and I want to see how they cope.

I fast forwarded through the Alien v. Pred scenes after the very first one. Ultra boring!

nice review, TNBG.

it made me totally lose (what little) respect for the Pred
That's a good way to get in a fight. I'm guessing you're a fan of the alien? Meet me next to the big swing at high noon during recess and we'll settle this like adults.

I'll be waiting.

human element? totally necessary, because (and maybe this is the girl in me) if there were no humans, that would have been one colossal waste of my time. the animals are animals, the humans are me, and I want to see how they cope.
No, no, no. The movie's called ALIEN VS PREDATOR, not ALIEN VS PREDATOR VS HUMANS. I'd rather not see any humans in the movie. Just give me a crazy planet with some aliens fighting other aliens and I'm sitting pretty.

Remember that colossal turd called, Transformers? It was called, Transformers. Transformers. Trans.... formers. It was about a nerdy kid who liked the hot girl, but it was called, Transformers.
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

Pimp, I will beat you like a redheaded stepchild. Ok, actually, I'll probably yelp like the little girl I am inside and ask you nicely if you want talk about your feelings. Violence is so beneath us.

No, seriously. I get you. And I totally love Aliens, but I am so not the Predator fan. Up until now, my feelings towards Preds have been indifferent at best, but I always had this view of them as "noble" hunters, at least. Maybe, MAYBE that twisted view of nobility has me thinking that the Pred will do his best to save the "human cattle" in his hunt, and make sure there isnt any unnecessary collateral damage. And so, coming from this vantage point, you have me thinking, "this guy cant even get the job done right!"

Am I wrong about this? Maybe they have no special love for humans, and really dont care about the excess carnage, but at the very least, he should have viewed the humans as potential incubators who gestate the Aliens, and for that reason alone, I would have protected all living bodies from becoming potential Alien reproductive organs.

The more humans, the more Aliens. And in this film, you have the Aliens reproducing like cockroaches, and at an alarming rate, and this dude is traipsing around like he's on vacation (What shall I do...today? Hm.....lets check the iternerary. Oh....right. Kill Aliens! Dad-gum-it! There are 10 more than last night! And I only killed 3 last night! How do they do that?)

Im having a hard time understanding how you can be invisible, have a shoulder mounted gun/launcher, and still manage to catch a beat-down so bad you have to go mano-a-mano.

The Pred was way too slow.

p.s. I wouldnt watch anything without humans in it. BORING! Cmon. Preds are the closest thing to human, and they look horrible. The Aliens are biological weapons - animals. What could the viewer identify with? They HAVE to have humans, or else they wouldnt get a mainstream audience to watch it.

Pimp, I will beat you like a redheaded stepchild.
BRING IT ON!

No, seriously. I get you. And I totally love Aliens, but I am so not the Predator fan. Up until now, my feelings towards Preds have been indifferent at best, but I always had this view of them as "noble" hunters, at least. Maybe, MAYBE that twisted view of nobility has me thinking that the Pred will do his best to save the "human cattle" in his hunt, and make sure there isnt any unnecessary collateral damage. And so, coming from this vantage point, you have me thinking, "this guy cant even get the job done right!"
There is something "noble" about the way a predator conducts its killing business, but lets be clear, a predator will blow its self up and try to take out everything around it if it feels like it may have been defeated.
Am I wrong about this? Maybe they have no special love for humans, and really dont care about the excess carnage, but at the very least, he should have viewed the humans as potential incubators who gestate the Aliens, and for that reason alone, I would have protected all living bodies from becoming potential Alien reproductive organs.

The more humans, the more Aliens. And in this film, you have the Aliens reproducing like cockroaches, and at an alarming rate, and this dude is traipsing around like he's on vacation (What shall I do...today? Hm.....lets check the iternerary. Oh....right. Kill Aliens! Dad-gum-it! There are 10 more than last night! And I only killed 3 last night! How do they do that?)
Predators like killing aliens. The more aliens, the more killing. The more killing, the more the predator is liking their life. Predators like to like their life.
Im having a hard time understanding how you can be invisible, have a shoulder mounted gun/launcher, and still manage to catch a beat-down so bad you have to go mano-a-mano.

The Pred was way too slow.
99 times out of 100, one predator is going to beat the sh*t out of one alien. Mano-a-mano.

The "main" alien the predator fought was half predator too.
p.s. I wouldnt watch anything without humans in it. BORING! Cmon. Preds are the closest thing to human, and they look horrible. The Aliens are biological weapons - animals. What could the viewer identify with? They HAVE to have humans, or else they wouldnt get a mainstream audience to watch it.
There dunt' need be anuh' people folk in'a moovee' to get yur' gits' goin'.

People connect with classical music on a regular basis, and if you break it down, those are just a bunch of random sounds. Where's the "human" element in that? Boring? I'd argue that.

Aliens just melt on stuff when they're dead. That's boring.

I think it was OK. Just OK. The creature fighting scenes were great, but the human scenes were boring and i didn't care for the cast. They were just annoying. I hate the whole "modern" time it's set in. When i think Aliens, i think of the Future. Spaceships, and stuff, ya know? I just can't see Aliens creeping around in backyards.

I think for Avp3 (if there is one) They should cast Sigourney Weaver, and Arnold Schwarzenegger, as the main human characters. Because in the original films, we actually cared for those characters. In these AVP films, they humans are just nobodies stuck in the middle, to be killed. And when or if some survive, its like you really could care less, cause you don't really know them. Too bad Arnold & Sigourney were from different time periods. But im sure it can be made to happen, it is Hollywood after all.

But im guessing getting Arnold to do the film would be next to impossible. Those Terminator people need to leave him alone, They are just f**king that series up.

I think it was OK. Just OK. The creature fighting scenes were great, but the human scenes were boring and i didn't care for the cast. They were just annoying. I hate the whole "modern" time it's set in. When i think Aliens, i think of the Future. Spaceships, and stuff, ya know? I just can't see Aliens creeping around in backyards.
Totally agree for the most part - here's the thing though, you have the merge of Pred and Alien universes, and the Pred Universe was set in "present day" while the Alien Universe was set in "future day." The entire fight between the two was to take place on Earth, or at least I remember that being what all the hulabaloo was about when the first (and disappointing) AVP came out.

Fast forward to today's sequel, and you have them trying to make up for the underwhelming effect of the first AVP, which WAS correctly set on Earth, and in a harsh clime (Antarctica?), but focused to greatly on the human element.

Now they do a make-up movie, with the humans as bystanders, but with the supposed "epic" battle scenes strewn across the milieu of a suburban town.

Now we REALLY have a screw-up. Not only is the battle climate too soft, the human collateral are all idiots or former convicts - the have no redeeming qualities. At all. Makes you wonder why they are there at all.

I think for Avp3 (if there is one) They should cast Sigourney Weaver, and Arnold Schwarzenegger, as the main human characters. Because in the original films, we actually cared for those characters. In these AVP films, they humans are just nobodies stuck in the middle, to be killed. And when or if some survive, its like you really could care less, cause you don't really know them. Too bad Arnold & Sigourney were from different time periods. But im sure it can be made to happen, it is Hollywood after all.
They are both way too old at this point. What they should do, is cast Arnold as a wizened old grandfather type telling his grandson (or heck, granddaughter - who by the way, happens to be a Marine or militarist returning from Iraq - and is either totally decorated and honorable, or totally a bad guy toughie in the Pitch Black Vin Diesel way) a story about (his missing eye?). They would also have a Sigourney Weaver Alien's character forebear - some hardcore young chick who will end up being in her lineage. Let them either together or separately (but in tandem) throw a monkey wrench in the whole battle.

People connect with classical music on a regular basis, and if you break it down, those are just a bunch of random sounds. Where's the "human" element in that? Boring? I'd argue that.
Pimp, if you are arguing that like music, violence is a human enough emotion - I'd have to concede that point!