Movie Tab II

Tools    

Blimey! That's Mr. Mino giving a good rating to a film on the HK 100. Granted, it's The Thing, but still....

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Where Now Are the Dreams of Youth? (Yasujiro Ozu, 1932)

Constellation (Jordan Walker-Pearlman, 2005)

Broadway Melody of 1940 (Norman Taurog, 1940)

5 Broken Cameras (Emad Burnat & Guy Davidi, 2011)
-

An Inn in Tokyo (Yasujiro Ozu, 1935)

Shall We Dance (Peter Chelsom, 2004)

Nobel Son (Randall Miller, 2007)

Alien (Ridley Scott, 1979)
-

Drumline (Charles Stone III, 2004)

Record of a Tenement Gentleman (Yasujiro Ozu, 1947)
-
Game Warden (Harry W. Smith, 1955)

Aliens (James Cameron, 1986)
-

Tanbark and Turf (Earle Luby [producer],1955)

King Arthur (Antoine Fuqua, 2004)

The Far Country (Anthony Mann, 1954)
-
The Naked Spur (Anthony Mann, 1953)
+

Easter Parade (Charles Walters, 1948)

Babes in Toyland (Jack Donohue, 1961)
-
The Thaw (Mark A. Lewis, 2009)

A Farewell to Arms (Frank Borzage, 1932)
(89 min)

Cache (2005) - Michael Haneke
Gave me probably the biggest shock I've ever had in a movie. Actually put my hands up to my face in an exagerrated motion - just like Kevin in Home Alone.

Paris, Texas (1984) - Wim Wenders
Absolutely loved the opening 45 minutes - didn't quite maintain it but very good.

Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers (1989) - Dominique Othenin-Girard
Garbage.

Das Boot (1981) - Wolfgang Petersen
Apart from the scenes that looked like they were from McHale's Navy (when they are on top of the U-Boat), this was great.

The Human Condition I: No Greater Love (1959) - Masaki Kobayashi
At times I actually found this a bit simplistic but it built as it went on.

Babe (1995) - Chris Noonan
Cute and well made but mostly kinda shallow - and why did everyone have bad American accents?

Gave me probably the biggest shock I've ever had in a movie.
what exactly was so shocking?

what exactly was so shocking?
WARNING: " " spoilers below
When one of the characters cuts his own throat.
That scene caught me completely off guard and seemed to happen so quickly compared to the pacing of the rest of the film.

Who's going to believe a talking head?
Actually put my hands up to my face in an exagerrated motion - just like Kevin in Home Alone.

That scene caught me completely off guard and seemed to happen so quickly compared to the pacing of the rest of the film.
yeah,I didn't see it coming,too but I got the impression that Haneke tries to shock the viewer just for the sake of shock.I'll discuss it more when I do the tab,I still have some movies to watch.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave

Frozen (Chris Buck & Jennifer Lee, 2013)

Rush (Ron Howard, 2013)
Just 3 stars for Rush but 3.5 for Frozen? You big softy you Mark! Still just a little kid at heart!

I was leaning toward giving both lower ratings, but they won me over in the end, Rush for that exciting final race.
---------------------------------------------------
Scrooge (Henry Edwards, 1935)

A Gentleman's Game (J. Mills Goodloe, 2002)

The Scent of Green Papaya (Tran Anh Hung, 1993)

The Godfather Part II (Francis Ford Coppola, 1974)
-

A Story of Floating Weeds (Yasujiro Ozu, 1934)

David Copperfield (George Cukor, 1935)

The Age of Innocence (Philip Moeller, 1934)

Show Boat (James Whale, 1936)
-

Sweet Adeline (Mervyn LeRoy, 1934)

Welcome to Death Row (S. Leigh Savidge & Jeff Scheftel, 2001)
(Doco on Death Row Records)
Bushwhacked (Greg Beeman, 1995)

The Life of Oharu (Kenji Mizoguchi, 1952)
+

Magnum Force (Ted Post, 1973)
+
Stranger in Town (Stuart Margolin, 1997)

Superman Returns (Bryan Singer, 2006)
-
A Hen in the Wind (Yasujiro Ozu, 1948)
-

Street of Shame (Kenji Mizoguchi, 1956)

The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor (Rob Cohen, 2008)

Alien Resurrection (Jean-Pierre Jeunet, 1997)
+
Alien³ (David Fincher, 1993)

Mark you gotta be one of the most well rounded cinephiles anywhere. The fact that you gave Godfather II a
makes me think I really need to tighten up my ratings.

Mark f - you gave Alien and Aliens the same rating. Do you prefer (even slightly) one more than the other?

Hey Mark, are you giving these ratings for movies that you have seen lately, or are you just picking random movies and adding them here?
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

Hey Mark, are you giving these ratings for movies that you have seen lately, or are you just picking random movies and adding them here?
Those are the films he's seen since his last set of ratings.

Thanks, seanc. You've got to be true to yourself with your ratings. Donuts, I watched the movies in the last post in the last two days, and it was a day or two earlier for the previous post. T_L_P, I've loved Alien and Aliens since I saw them repeatedly in the theatre. On this last viewing, they seemed pretty even to me. Sorry, hk.

Yup, that was me.
yeah,I didn't see it coming,too but I got the impression that Haneke tries to shock the viewer just for the sake of shock.I'll discuss it more when I do the tab,I still have some movies to watch.
Not seen any of his other films yet. I'd imagine he does try to shock the viewer but that's happened forever - Psycho, Full Metal Jacket, etc. Whether or not it is done just for the sake of shocking rather than adding to the story is probably open to interpretation. In Cache I felt it worked because the whole thing is allegorical (look at me using the big words!) and the events that inspired it were shocking also.
I agree with Sane, probably the most genuinely shocking scene I have ever seen too.
I think it was helped a lot by the performance of Auteuil whose shock mirrored mine - stunned silence.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Not seen any of his other films yet. I'd imagine he does try to shock the viewer but that's happened forever - Psycho, Full Metal Jacket, etc. Whether or not it is done just for the sake of shocking rather than adding to the story is probably open to interpretation. In Cache I felt it worked because the whole thing is allegorical (look at me using the big words!) and the events that inspired it were shocking also.
I think Haneke has created his own brand of horror, possibly his own personalized genre of horror. I definitely think that shock is one of the main goal of Haneke's films. He's a very good and interesting filmmaker, but recently I've been seeing his films as more flat than I originally remembered, Code Unknown is still brilliant though.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
New set of films from a little while ago:
The Time to Live and The Time to Die
by Hou Hsiao-Hsien

The greatest of Hou's coming of age films and also one of his best films altogether. Hou is an extremely subtle and yet rigorous formalist, with justification for every one of his formal decisions within the thematic or narrative components of the story. The film's jump midway through the film in time naturally brings together Hou's greatest strength, relating and examining the relationship between national and personal histories. Despite being autobiographical, the film is shot in a much more distanced perspective than would be expected. This is both in keeping with Hou's style and with his meticulously detailed and articulate analysis of the past. This is a masterpiece among masterpieces from a great director I feel I'm only beginning to know.

Dust in the Wind
by Hou Hsiao-Hsien

Perhaps it was due to it being left in the shadow of the much more grand (though Hou's grand is very personal) film above, but I found Dust in the Wind to be the weakest of the three coming of age films. While certainly still a very interesting and technically sound film, I just didn't connect with this film as much as A Summer at Grandpa's and The Time to Live and The Time to Die. The presence of Li Tian-Lu is always fun and interesting, the man has an extraordinary charisma for his age and is a joy to watch. The plight of the main character feels more superficial here than even in a past version of himself (the first and third films are based on Chu Tien-wen's life). By no means a bad film, and it's in fact a good (perhaps great) film, but when measuring it against Hou's standard in the previous two films, it fell a little short for me.

Three Times
by Hou Hsiao-Hsien

Hou's 2005 film, Three Times feels a bit like an omnibus or anthology film in that it is composed of several short films, one of which is good, another okay, and another not so good. This film happens to present the films in that order. The film's first segment, set in 1960s Taiwan feel like Hou Hsiao-Hsien doing Wong Kar-Wai. For as shallow as the central romance may be in the segment, I can't help but fall for the lush colors and stylized glamour of the 60s so inherent in Wong's 60s set work, and Hou's new camerawork featuring lush, gliding long takes that flow kinetically. The also new use of shallow focus creates colorful backdrops instead of seeming like a lazy alternative to filling the frame. The second segment is also beautifully shot and maintains interest as well as having the strongest connection to its time period. Ultimately, it fall a little short in its silent film homage, feeling a little shallow and conflicted towards whether to pay homage or update the language. The third segment begins with a tremendous kinetic shot. After the mostly static shots of Hou's 80s and 90s films (with the exception of pans), it's incredible to see the director branch out and experiment with his shooting style here and in the first segment. The rest of the segment is fairly lackluster though. Hou's opinion of the modern world is fairly regular for a man of his age. One glimpse at the title, "A Time for Youth," shows how limited Hou's view of modern Taiwan is. A great film in some regards, but an unremarkable one in others.

Goodbye Dragon Inn
by Tsai Ming-Liang

Tsai's aesthetics ensure that his film lacks a certainly degree of subtlety, which is not inherently a bad thing. Some shots, such as an extended shot of a woman cleaning up the theater before leaving the static shot of the empty theater for several minutes, depend too much on their form than the actual context or meaning. That being said, a lot of Tsai's film works in its semi-comic melancholy. While fairly simplistic, Tsai's formal elements match, nearly literally, the film's content. Without Tsai's long shots and long takes, the film might seem more like a holistic comedy than its tragicomic leanings.

Tamara Drewe
- The kind of good, decent gentle drama that we do well, and this is another example of that. There's nothing special here, but everything's well done and it hits all the right notes as and when expected. If you're just watching for Gemma Arterton, here you are.