Hot Rod

→ in
Tools    

I saw this movie today in a special screening. As my friend described it, its kind of like watching somebody's dream. . . You know how when you have a dream, **** just happens. There is no linking events its just random ****, but you just asume it makes sense? Well its kind of like that. It is rediculous. If you are into the "Napolian Dinamite" or "Blade of Glory" kind of humor then this might be for you. I laughed to tears at certain parts (litterally), but i am also easily entertained. All in all, I enjoyed the movie mainly because i saw it for free, but that is about it. I wouldn't recomend you watch it unless you have nothing better to do and have the money.

What you have here is a send up of every cheesy, overly confident, stand up and cheer sort of film that was released in the mid and late 80s. Take moments from Dirty Dancing, Footloose, hell, even The Cutting Edge. Then picture these moments as even more over the top than they already were. Throw in a few completely random Anchorman/Talladega Nights type moments, enough ball busting physical comedy to make even the most sadistic of individuals say, "Hey, ease up.", plus the angel-like purity of Ian McShane and what you have is a wonderful surprise as we get closer to the end of the summer movie season. With Superbad and The Brothers Solomon (I must pause and give praise to the comic genus of Will Arnett, whose brief apperances in Hot Rod are pitch perfect) still on the horizon, I can't really say this is hands down the funniest movie of the summer. However in the words of Homer Simpson, who disappointed me so much, "It is the funniest movie of the summer so far." So watch a little St. Elmo's Fire, maybe some X-Games coverage, and then go check out Rod and party. Because this is a film that doesn't work in spite of its flaws, but because of them.

Yeah I just got back from watching it about 20 minutes ago and it had me laughing almost the whole way through. It wasnt because of its intelligent comedic genius in which you can easily remember after the movie is over, it was more of the on the surface, goofball type of comedy. Very dry in its own special way. I think because I was well aware of my expectations of this movie, I was able to see the movie for what it was worth. For that reason, I enjoyed it. The asian guy dancing just killed me...there was an enormous amount of random stuff in there...some of which will make you laugh, some will make you show your WTF face. All in all, the 80's references, the purposely overdoing of certain aspects and the expected dry humor was well worth the experience.