Recommend an uplifting, light film?

Tools    

I thought I'd resurrect this very old thread, which I found when researching a new thread I was going to call "Popcorn Flicks". To me, a popcorn movie is one that, like its namesake, has no nutritional value, but is delicious nonetheless. Many people call them "Summer Popcorn Movies," but I suppose they don't all come out in summer. So anyway...

Here's an oldie but a goodie. Following a brilliant ad campaign that featured not much more than the logo, Ghostbusters took the world by storm in the summer of 1984. Ghostbusters is just a blast from beginning to end. With brilliant casting,a fun script, and inspired direction, it's just as much fun now as it was when it first came out.

Welcome to the human race...
I'm one of the few people in existence who doesn't love Ghostbusters the way most people do. If anything, I don't find it delicious, let alone nutritious...double whammy.

I'm one of the few people in existence who doesn't love Ghostbusters the way most people do. If anything, I don't find it delicious, let alone nutritious...double whammy.
Damn.

Yeah. That's why people treat my opinion with less respect than they would with Meatwadsprite's opinion or even that of the average spammer.

Yeah. That's why people treat my opinion with less respect than they would with Meatwadsprite's opinion or even that of the average spammer.
I always wondered why people talk about you the way they do.

Now I know.

For me, the best popcorn flick of all time is...

This isn't exactly a favoured type of film for me, at least not in terms of the blockbuster ones, but these have found a way into my heart.

There's this, of course...

This too...

But only really for...

... And this scene

I love this...

Which also has a very HK friendly scene...

But ^that^ isn't it.

I'd love to see this at the cinema...

That'd be fantastic. I did see this at the cinema though...

And that was a damn fine time...

... Was the best she's ever looked, as well as providing an excellent serving suggstion for alcohol.

And I absolutely adored this...

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Amelie does my soul a lot of good too, but I didn't include it because subtitiles turn so many people off and they tend to think of them as extra work, which isn't exactly a 'light' experience. Of course those people are morons, but just the same. Also, in the prudish United States of America here, Amelie was slapped with an R-rating (believe it or not), for the glimpses of the fourteen orgasmic couples, Joseph & Georgette banging the Two Windmills' cups around, and the few scenes set in the sex shop.

As you well know I also love Amelie. I showed it to my Short Stories class. About 3/4 of them didn't like it, or said they didn't. The minority loved it though.

I'll pee in the punch bowl by saying I didn't like Starship Troopers. I know most people think it was a blast seeing all the teenagers fighting giant bugs.

Me? I was rooting for the bugs.

Oh, yah, and I loved Amelie.

Sorry to bug in like this, but are you being sarcastic or something ? If Eraserhead and Seven are uplifting, light, popcorn films, then Dogville is the happiest film ever made.

One of my favorite light popcorn films is "The full monty" it has everything that a light film should have and of course a "happy" ending. But mostly I enjoy domestic (then Yugoslavian) comedies, mostly oldies like "Who sings over there" or "The professional", "Radovan the third" and "Wild years" octology, and "The truckers" the jokes never get old, and even if I heard them 100 times, I will laugh when I hear them again.

Yes, Meatwad occasionally jumps into the shallow end of the sarcasm pool like that.

Back on topic, though, no movies fitting Prospero's criteria are jumping to mind at the moment.

Here are two more that I consider classic summer popcorn movies. I know they're not well though of everywhere, but for mindless fun I think they are perfect.

The Mummy (1999)
Dir: Stephen Sommers
I was ready to hate this movie when I saw it, but the blend of action and humor worked perfectly for me. Brendean Fraser makes a good, witty action hero, and Rachel Weisz is both beautiful and brilliant. Kevin J. O'connor as the weaselly Beni is just the cherry on top. Yes, I hated the CGI, but at least they didn't go too overboard with it. All in all, a fun time.

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003)
Dir: Gore Verbinski

A movie based on an amusement park ride? Who'd 'a' thought? But this one really works. Again, action, humor, and a little horror are combined in just the right quantities to make for wonderful summertime fare. Much of the credit belongs to Johnny Depp for his brilliant portrayal of Captain Jack Sparrow, but Geoffrey Rush also deserves a good deal of praise for his classic pirate turn as Barbossa. Fun stuff.

HK - too true. I should really nominate The Blues Brothers, which hasn't really been out of my top 2 since I started ordering my favourites. I almost feel a bit uneasy about putting it at #1 consistently when I know there are better movies that I like just as much, but it's been my favourite movie for as long as I can remember and I really can't imagine any movie permanently toppling it.

I should also throw in a mention for Arnold Schwarzenegger's 1980s output.

HK - too true. I should really nominate The Blues Brothers, which hasn't really been out of my top 2 since I started ordering my favourites. I almost feel a bit uneasy about putting it at #1 consistently when I know there are better movies that I like just as much, but it's been my favourite movie for as long as I can remember and I really can't imagine any movie permanently toppling it.

I should also throw in a mention for Arnold Schwarzenegger's 1980s output.
Go for it.

By mentioning that I should mention a movie, haven't I technically mentioned it?

Yay for unnecessary usage of semantics!