Deadite's 50 Cool Movies for Cool People

→ in
Tools    

?
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

36. The Immaculate Conception of Little Dizzle

Bizarre and bizarrely upbeat, Little Dizzle is an absurd yet charming indie sci-fi comedy that is surely immediately offputting to many in concept/plot, but for those who can go with the weird combination of existential angst, toilet humor, and anarchic sensibilities that drive its compassionate yet darkly funny take on the human condition, there's a lot of goofy fun to be had.

ICLD is almost Fight Club lite, sans the misanthropic rage, but it puts me more in mind of another cult indie film, Repo Man, also about losers in very offbeat situations. The cast here really makes the movie come alive (especially Durden-esque slacker Vince Vieluf) and they all add a lot of depth to otherwise not-so-deep characterizations with great humor and aplomb in otherwise untenably WTF circumstances. My biggest beef with ICLD is its ending, which kinda just fizzles out like a sentimental shrug.

I'm not surprised that it isn't well-known. It's not easy to explain it, and even a basic description can't really convey the tone of it... Perhaps "Charlie Kaufman meets the Farrelly brothers"?

I'll just say it's one of the most original movies I've ever seen, and I'd happily recommend it to any adventurous movie lover who likes discovering something very different... so different that you'll probably never see anything like ICLD again, though I'm sure some viewers will be glad about that.

35. Dream with the Fishes

Another indie gem, DwtF is a whimsical road trip comedy-drama about two men, suicidally depressed loner Terry and terminally ill free spirit Nick (David Arquette and Brad Hunt, respectively, both great in their individual roles as well as displaying great buddy chemistry), who enter into a strange agreement and become friends. Writer-director Finn Taylor's (who also did The Darwin Awards) bromantic little film about appreciating life is a bit rough around the edges, reminding me of a 90's Easy Rider, but ultimately a compelling mixture of despair and delight.

Digging on your picks for Sin City, Jackie Brown, and especially The Big Lebowski, which is in my Top 10 of all-time. Cool, cool, cool!

I haven't abandoned it or MoFo. I just have a lot of personal stuff I'm juggling, like taking care of my mom. Hopefully will have some more time for this again soon.

Nice list, waking life is also going to be in my top 100

34. Evil Dead 2: Dead By Dawn

One of my favorite horror-comedies ever ever ever. Where the original ED was more straightforward scares albeit amateurishly creative and whereas Army Of Darkness was bigger and sillier in its Harryhausen-esque medieval fantasy pastiche, Dead By Dawn struck the perfect balance between gruesome horror and dark humor with a manic blend of wildly imaginative FX and slyly tongue-in-cheek carnage to become a splatstick legend. A screwball horror classic with fiendishly energetic direction, its lovecraftian story combined time travel, demons, an eldritch tome, and an iconic central character to create one of the most fun and bizarre movies I've ever seen.

Bottom line? It's groovy.

It's ok, but I really don't get the whole Evil Dead/Bruce Campbell cult at all.
I don't either. I don't really care for anything Evil Dead related. It's never been able to grab me. I saw Evil Dead II as a kid -- when I saw EVERY horror movie out there. It did nothing for me.

35. Dream with the Fishes

Another indie gem, DwtF is a whimsical road trip comedy-drama about two men, suicidally depressed loner Terry and terminally ill free spirit Nick (David Arquette and Brad Hunt, respectively, both great in their individual roles as well as displaying great buddy chemistry), who enter into a strange agreement and become friends. Writer-director Finn Taylor's (who also did The Darwin Awards) bromantic little film about appreciating life is a bit rough around the edges, reminding me of a 90's Easy Rider, but ultimately a compelling mixture of despair and delight.

I have this on VHS, but I haven't watched it. I need to. I have the soundtrack as well. I love indie films with David Arquette. To me, they are a psychological vitamin.

I agree 100% with Evil Dead 2. It's rare when a film manages to be funny and freaky in equal doses. Army of Darkness was funny too, but it went a little overboard with the silliness and it just didn't have the same magical balance as its predecessor.