Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Green Room (2016) -
+

I wasn't completely crazy about Blue Ruin. I thought there was a lot of good stuff going on but it didn't end up properly sucking me in. This i liked quite a bit more. Interesting story, it would be such a terrifying and unlucky thing to be there at the exact wrong time. I do find it a bit hard to believe that the police wouldn't have searched the premises when they called them for the set up stabbing they reported. It wasn't a big problem for me but i would've liked them to have at least adressed it, all you see is the police pulling up and then the owner showing up then next time you see the owner the cops have presumably already left. The violence wasn't as bad as i'd thought it would be other than the scene where Pat's hand is hanging off, ugh that was horrible. Not that it wasn't brutal i just expected more horrible scenes from what i've been hearing. Patrick Stewart was very good, constantly calm and controlled he came across very sinister throughout. Anyway solid film that kept up a well done tense and brutal atmosphere throughout.

2016 Films So Far:

01.Green Room
02.Zootopia

Personally, I have yet to see a "brilliant" movie with DiCaprio. For me, most of them are dull as hell and often too long. I've seen all of them, except for The Revenant and I only like four or five of them. None that I would truly enjoy watching multiple times.
What's eating Gilbert Grape? Catch me if you can? The Departed? Blood Diamond?

Blackway

Well where do I begin... this movie is probably one of the most dull anticlimactic things I have seen in recent times. First off the story is so basic that there really is no point to even making it. The actors I guess did what they could with the script. Anthony Hopkins looks like he slept through most of it. There were also times where I thought that there was going to be more character development but if went nowhere. Most of the movie is basically Hopkins searching for Liotta and asking just about everyone in town. I dont recommend this tripe even if you wanted to switch your mind off for 90 mins or so.

0.5/5 Stars (only because I felt sorry for the actors)

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
No, not in a hurry to watch it again.

What's eating Gilbert Grape? Catch me if you can? The Departed? Blood Diamond?
Yeah, 3 out of 4

So far, I've enjoyed:

What's Eating Gilbert Grape
Gangs of New York
Catch Me If You Can
The Departed
J.Edgar

I own the last three on DVD (1 was a gift, 2 were under $5) and I never watch them again as a favorite. He's just bland as an actor.

Welcome to the human race...
The Bourne Identity -

Trying to re-watch these movies to see if I can get interested in the latest one. So far, so...not good.

The Princess Bride -
-

This was a lot of fun, i think if i had seen this as a kid it would rank up with childhood films like Back To The Future. Really good storytelling, and a great and iconic script. I've heard so many lines before so it was nice to see where they originated. Like "This word. I don't think it means what you think it means" The conversations were probably my favourite thing in the film. I liked Inigo and The Man and Black a lot, especially how friendly and frank they were most of the time, even during the swordfights. Loved their relationship, so civil with shared respect it was weird seeing something like that and it worked. Wallace Shawn was very good in this as well, he is perfect for playing these sort of creepy, annoying people. He had one of my favourite lines:

Vizzini: We're at an impasse, i can't match your strength and you are no match for my brains.

The Man In Black: You are that smart?

Vizzini: Let me ask you this, have you ever heard of Plato, Socrates, Aristotle?

The Man In Black: Yes?

Vizzini: Morons.

Perfect delivery. Was gutted when he died so early.

My biggest surprise was Andre The Giant, i was expecting a bad Arnie performance not that he was amazing or anything but he was pretty believable and enjoyable to watch.

Anyway i don't want to keep ranting. Overall it was a very funny and entertaining film with a great scrip and cast of characters. Glad i finally watched it.

I have to return some videotapes...
Batman: The Killing Joke -

Really disappointing.

I have to return some videotapes...
The Bourne Identity -

Trying to re-watch these movies to see if I can get interested in the latest one. So far, so...not good.
Weakest of the trilogy but in no way a bad movie, what's your problem with it?

Weakest of the trilogy but in no way a bad movie, what's your problem with it?
Eh, I tried watching the sequels for the first time last year and gave them both
but we'll see if that changes the next time around. As for my problem, they all seem kind of bland to me - kind of well-made, sure, but not enough to make them great.

Damn, Iro. Okay, well, not gonna be too mad about the rating for Identity. I like it, but I see problems with it. Same for the sequel. But Ultimatum really brought it together. A very slick, tightly made and intense action thriller that binds the movies as well as the whole Bourne universe well together.

Just that train station 30-minute-or-so sequence near the beginning is one of the best and most adrenaline fueled non-action sequences I've seen. The tension is extremely well executed and developed. It could've been a climax for a film tbh.

I hope at least the third film will sit better with you this time around, Iro. maybe a 3/5?

Captain America: Civil War (Anthony Russo & Joe Russo, 2016)

Similar to its predecessor, there is a lot of stuff that I enjoy in the film. Sequences that are well directed and stories that are structured well enough to keep my interest. I enjoy pretty much anything that involves some sort of espionage, and the film gets off to a good start with a plot all the more relevant in today's current world situation, as well as the introduction of Daniel Bruhl, whose performances I have enjoyed previously. But then, we also have the stuff I don't enjoy with these kind of films, you could take out the two significant battle sequences, or at least drastically cut them down, for most of the part I find them boring or silly. Then [slight plot spoilers] the eventual solution to the Bruhl storyline, "where are the stakes?" is often a question I here about these films, and its certainly a valid question. By the time the end credits came, I asked myself what had actually happened in the film, the answer? Not much really. A few characters angrier, but not much else. What was the point of it all?

How can straight white males between the ages of 16-35 not enjoy QT? He's our guy.
Because they are individuals and have their own tastes that don't overlap with any preconception that QT is somehow their "guy"? Even if they like QT, they might not like Django on its own anyway.

Because they are individuals and have their own tastes that don't overlap with any preconception that QT is somehow their "guy"? Even if they like QT, they might not like Django on its own anyway.
Alright

Unregistered User

Sawdust and Tinsel (1953)

Bergman never lets me down. Although this wasnt his best work its still absolutely wonderful. Downbeat throughout and with such a straight forward plot its realism really hits hard, especially the opening sequence with the clown. Highly recommended before the 50's deadline!!

Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954)

My thoughts echo that of The Invisible Shrinking Man which I watched the other day. THis is a well made film that you can take seriously. Its well shot with nice scenery, good acting and the underwater scenes are excellent. Easy to see why Gillman has become so iconic.

+

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…
Batman: The Killing Joke -

Really disappointing.
You have already ruined my day and I just woke up.