41st Japan Academy Prize: Kore-eda's 'The Third Murder' Wins Big

Tools    

Hirokazu Kore-eda's complex legal drama The Third Murder was the big winner at the 41st Japan Academy Prize, taking best picture, best director, best supporting actor, best supporting actress, best editing and best screenplay.

Kore-eda (Like Father, Like Son) himself took home four awards. He wrote, edited and directed The Third Murder, which screened in the main competition in Venice last year.

Koji Yakusho (Babel, Memoirs of a Geisha) was nominated in the best supporting actor category for both The Third Murder and historical epic Sekigahara, winning for the former. Best supporting actress was won by Suzu Hirose, 19, for her performance as the daughter of the murdered factory owner in The Third Murder, for which she has also been nominated for this month's Asian Film Awards, along with the film itself for best picture. - hollywoodreporter
i read some brief critics before that it's probably not the best or one of his weak entry but nonetheless it adding more staple on his remarkable track record

this year lineup,

Best Picture:
The Third Murder
Let Me Eat Your Pancreas
Sekigahara
Miracles of the Namiya General Store
Flower and Sword

Best Animation:
The Night Is Short, Walk on Girl
Fireworks, Should We See It from the Side or the Bottom?
Napping Princess
Mary and the Witch's Flower
Detective Conan: Crimson Love Letter

Best Director:
Hirokazu Kore-eda – The Third Murder
Kiyoshi Kurosawa – Before We Vanish
Tetsuo Shinohara – Flower and Sword
Masato Harada – Sekigahara
Ryūichi Hiroki – Miracles of the Namiya General Store

Best Screenplay:
Hiroshi Saitō (ja) – Miracles of the Namiya General Store
Yoshiko Mori5hita – Flower and Sword
Yoji Yamada and Emiko Hiramatsu – What a Wonderful Family! 2
Tomoko Yoshida – Let Me Eat Your Pancreas

other categories (winner only),
Outstanding Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role:
Masaki Suda – Wilderness: Part One

Outstanding Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role:
Yū Aoi – Birds Without Names

Outstanding Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role:
Kōji Yakusho – The Third Murder

Outstanding Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role:
Suzu Hirose – The Third Murder

Outstanding Achievement in Music:
Keiichi Suzuki – Outrage Coda

Outstanding Achievement in Cinematography:
Takahide Shibanushi – Sekigahara

Outstanding Achievement in Lighting Direction:
Takaaki Miyanishi – Sekigahara

Outstanding Achievement in Art Direction:
Tomoko Kurata – Flower and Sword

Outstanding Achievement in Sound Recording:
Masato Yano – Sekigahara:

Outstanding Achievement in Film Editing:

Outstanding Foreign Language Film:
La La Land

source: 1 , 2

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Let Me Eat Your Pancreas
LMAO. Something Dr Lecter would definitely say.

Sounds great, Reso!

Let Me Eat Your Pancreas
LMAO. Something Dr Lecter would definitely say.

Sounds great, Reso!
haha im afraid dr lect will disappointed dan. It seems a straight melodrama despite the title misleading

haha im afraid dr lect will disappointed dan. It seems a straight melodrama despite the title misleading
I read a brief synopsis, reso. Actually seems really charming(the Pancreas movie. I havent seen the other synopsis yet)

kinejun best ten from last year:
1. The Tokyo Night Sky Is Always the Densest Shade of Blue
2. Flower Case / HANAGATAMI
3. Ah, Wilderness
4. Dear Etranger
5. Before We Vanish
6. Bangkok Nites
7. Her Life is not a Mistake
8. The Third Murder
9. Birds Without Names
10. When They Knit Seriously

Individual award:
Best Actress: Aoi Yu (Birds Without Names)
Best Actor: Suda Masaki (Kiseki: Sobito of That Day / Teiichi: Battle of Supreme High/ Ah, Wilderness / Spark)
Best Supporting Actress: Tanaka Rena (Dear Etranger)
Best Supporting Actor: Yang Ik-Joon (Ah, Wilderness)
Best Female Newcomer: Ishibashi Shizuka (The Tokyo Night Sky Is Always the Densest Shade of Blue / PARKS / Misshi to bannin)
Best Male Newcomer: Yamada Ryosuke (The Miracles of the Namiya General Store / FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST)
Best Director: Nobuhiko Obayashi (Flower Case / HANAGATAMI)
Best Screenplay: Ishii Yuya (The Tokyo Night Sky Is Always the Densest Shade of Blue)
Best Foreign Film Director: Ken Roach (I, Daniel Blake)

source

Thanks for posting this Resop. I haven't seen any of them but it's definitely interesting and helpful for me to make an attempt on Contemporary Japanese Cinema.

I read a brief synopsis, reso. Actually seems really charming(the Pancreas movie. I havent seen the other synopsis yet)
havent check them all too. So far The third murder, Before We Vanish where i longing to mainly because my fave directors

Yeh looks interesting. Do you have the death penalty in Japan?

Thanks for posting this Resop. I haven't seen any of them but it's definitely interesting and helpful for me to make an attempt on Contemporary Japanese Cinema.
yo welcom camo
kinejun definitely more reliable imo for they kind of list especially for spotting more small production and arthouse movies, where academy prize in current years got more highlight for mainstream appeal.

yeah them do still have it
Rarely used I would think, especially when a self proclaimed cannibal who became such a fan idol was able to walk free.

yeah them do still have it
Rarely used I would think, especially when a self proclaimed cannibal who became such a fan idol was able to walk free.
ah that guy, i forgot his name lol. probably more like the thing happen in foreign then affected his prosecution i guess, idk. It's still weird tho' how he become local celeb temporarily. He didnt even claimed as mentally ill as i remember

i seek some data and there still punishment each years i seen.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capi...hment_in_Japan

Found it. Did you mean issei sagawa @Dani8
It came to said he was legally insane by the time

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Issei_Sagawa
That's the one, Reso. There was a lot of talk about him when I lived there. Frightening.

Found it. Did you mean issei sagawa @Dani8
It came to said he was legally insane by the time

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Issei_Sagawa
That's the one, Reso. There was a lot of talk about him when I lived there. Frightening.
too creepy for what he did. remember seen the gruesome pic of his sole victim, quickly closed, cant stand it.
I blame the media tho' for what he became circus freak. How long you lived there dani? Are yiu see him live on tv by that time

too creepy for what he did. remember seen the gruesome pic of his sole victim, quickly closed, cant stand it.
I blame the media tho' for what he became circus freak. How long you lived there dani? Are yiu see him live on tv by that time
Yes pretty horrific. And you can always hand it to the media, Reso. They love stirring this kind of thing up. It went on for years according to my friends.
I lived there for over a year. Really great experience to throw myself into the middle of such a different culture.

pic from last night,

I've seen two Koreeda films so far (Like Father, Like Son and Nobody Knows) and they were both breathtaking experiences.
I can't wait to see his latest output. I'm glad to see that he's such a productive filmmaker. Much to explore!

I've seen two Koreeda films so far (Like Father, Like Son and Nobody Knows) and they were both breathtaking experiences.
I can't wait to see his latest output. I'm glad to see that he's such a productive filmmaker. Much to explore!
great i ll recommend Still Walking and After Life right on your alley.
there much of his intriguing filmography. his movie debut Maborosi no Hikari probably him at the most typical slow arthouse. Distance could be confused but it's still show his nature as serious auteur following After Life. Air Doll is probably where most of mix reception , i consider it his lesser and weak work but i see why people also love it. the hidden gem i'll say it stand for I WIsh and often trying underwhelmed by ppl, After the Storm. Our little Sister could be said his decent attempt but feel good movie, the sweetest from him so far.