Lohan to get 90 days

Tools    

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I hate it when people can just come out of prison before thier sentences are up

The problem with this is that I feel like we want to punish her for being a rich, stuck-up, spoiled brat and not so much her crime. There's an extra degree of loathing in every sentence these days. To namedrop a little bit, Foucault wrote about this dual qualification in one of his essays. He says that there is not just the question "did you do it y/n" but also "what kind of person are you to do what you did?".

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
Good point PN. For good or bad, I feel that loathing somewhat myself- Her crime is embedded so deeply in her irresponsible and decadent lifestyle and attitude so of course it'll get mixed together in people's minds. Personally, speaking, I work hard for my money and seeing a person gifted with that talent and laying it all to waste is hard to watch. I think as long as she's self-delusional, most folks will feel that way. (I would like to see her get it together though..)

And we wonder why some of these celebs act this way. It is because they know they will only get a small slap on the wrist and all will be over.
Exactly correct.

Its funny actually because we've pointed the finger at a great number of entities (acting young, parents, money, lifestyle, greed) in this topic and maybe the real problem is the justice system towards celebrities. Many people out there would take the piss if punishment was going to elude them.

And we wonder why some of these celebs act this way. It is because they know they will only get a small slap on the wrist and all will be over.
Exactly correct.

Its funny actually because we've pointed the finger at a great number of entities (acting young, parents, money, lifestyle, greed) in this topic and maybe the real problem is the justice system towards celebrities. Many people out there would take the piss if punishment was going to elude them.
The real problem is, indeed, the justice system. Of course, rich people do better, that's the way it's always been (and I mean always, not just for the last couple of hundred years) but the slap on the wrist sentencing is prevelant throughout the system. At least, it is over here. Here's three stories that sprang to mind when I read the words, "slap on the wrist".

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...referrer=yahoo

The real problem is, indeed, the justice system. Of course, rich people do better, that's the way it's always been (and I mean always, not just for the last couple of hundred years) but the slap on the wrist sentencing is prevelant throughout the system. At least, it is over here. Here's three stories that sprang to mind when I read the words, "slap on the wrist".

I hate reading articles like that. Cannot believe the sentences that were dished out. ****ing sick.

Me too, TNBT. Had I not read those three within a few days of each other, I probably wouldn't have put them up. But as I was reading them, almost, every day it prompted me to. I know they're all from the Mail (and I hate the Mail like most decent people do, but they're not the ones dishing out these sentences.)

Whether Lindsay does 13 days or 90, it seems to me she's an addict/alcoholic, and her best chance for recovery is time in a clinic rather than Jail. I've read many reports where they've said the Jails in LA are at breaking point, so her premature release probably isn't due to her celebrity.

Best thing for Linds right now is where she is at and if you have noticed since being released from jail it has been pretty quiet on the Lindsay front. Hopefully it will stay like that and Linds will come out of rehab a better person this time around.

Female Jungle Poster
I understand the general loathing of her sense of entitlement, and what seems like an almost free pass again, for the umpteenth time, as I feel it, too. My frustration comes more from a lack of willingness on her part to attempt to amend past mistakes, and prevent herself from repeating them.

It's upsetting enough when one person seems hell-bent on destroying his/her own life, but having the unmitigated gall to risk others' lives (DUI/DWI) and still party hearty makes me lose any and all sympathy for that person.

Addiction is a horrific thing, but she had every option at her disposal prior to her latest screw-up; therapy, treatment, counseling, support--far more than most addicts would have, I imagine. To simply toss all that away and continue to self-importantly stumble around, possibly endangering other people, leaves me no choice but to think she needs far more than a few days in lock-up and a stint in rehab. This type of selfishness is beyond the pale.

I mean, are we waiting for her to actually hit and kill someone while she's drunk or doped up? What's her sentence going to be then?

"Exit, pursued by a bear." ~

I mean, are we waiting for her to actually hit and kill someone while she's drunk or doped up?
Nope. They're waiting for her to die. They didn't get it with Britney, but now they've got another shot at it.

I understand the general loathing of her sense of entitlement, and what seems like an almost free pass again, for the umpteenth time, as I feel it, too. My frustration comes more from a lack of willingness on her part to attempt to amend past mistakes, and prevent herself from repeating them.

It's upsetting enough when one person seems hell-bent on destroying his/her own life, but having the unmitigated gall to risk others' lives (DUI/DWI) and still party hearty makes me lose any and all sympathy for that person.

Addiction is a horrific thing, but she had every option at her disposal prior to her latest screw-up; therapy, treatment, counseling, support--far more than most addicts would have, I imagine. To simply toss all that away and continue to self-importantly stumble around, possibly endangering other people, leaves me no choice but to think she needs far more than a few days in lock-up and a stint in rehab. This type of selfishness is beyond the pale.

I mean, are we waiting for her to actually hit and kill someone while she's drunk or doped up? What's her sentence going to be then?

Addicts/Alcoholics relapse....so, if you believe Lindsay has had too many chances and should just wake up to herself, than it seems, you haven't crossed paths with many addicts.

I'm not defending Lindsays actions at all, I'm trying to put forward is that she, "Lindsay", is no different than your average addict.

On the subject of the punishment fitting the crime. There's been some talk of public humiliation for children who break the law here in Australia. I often wonder if this would ever work, and if Hollywood kids....would give two hoots? Long gone are the days where Hollywood starlets tried to keep their image squeaky-clean.

Semper Fooey
Addicts/Alcoholics relapse....so, if you believe Lindsay has had too many chances and should just wake up to herself, than it seems, you haven't crossed paths with many addicts.

I'm not defending Lindsays actions at all, I'm trying to put forward is that she, "Lindsay", is no different than your average addict.
Lindsay doesn't relapse. She refuses treatment and defied a court order not to leave the country without permission and was drinking publicly.

Female Jungle Poster
Nope. They're waiting for her to die. They didn't get it with Britney, but now they've got another shot at it.
Hopefully, she won't kill someone before she kills herself.

Originally Posted by Michael_10
Nonsense. I'm far more intimately acquainted with addictive behavior than you might guess. And I know that her behavior won't change if the consequences of her actions don't change. Why should any addicts attempt to amend their ways, if they know there's no real undesirable consequences to face?

Answer: no reason at all.

I don't view her trail of screw-ups as relapses. It appears to me that she actively flaunts her partying ways, in defiance of court orders and mandates. This is not the pattern of an addict who's desperately trying to clean up, and hitting stumbling blocks along the way. This is the pattern of an addict who's comfortable in the knowledge that there will always be a safety net, and ways to dodge the harsh realities of her actions.

The time for coddling and escapes should be well over by now, and I think it's time to bring the hammer down. It's the only way to drive home to her the point that the days of safety nets are over. The days of accountability are starting. Otherwise, nothing about her will change for the better. I fully support a combination of real jail time and intensive (plus follow-up) therapy. Without that (and as I've stated, she certainly has access to all the support and therapy which an addict needs), she's a potential suicide/homicide waiting to happen.

Originally Posted by will.15
Lindsay doesn't relapse. She refuses treatment and defied a court order not to leave the country without permission and was drinking publicly.
Yep, among other things. One has only to browse through her highly publicized history prior to her arrest to see she's not taking responsibility for her actions, and certainly not taking anything seriously.

Nonsense. I'm far more intimately acquainted with addictive behavior than you might guess. .
Then you'd realise the lengths addicts will got o after they have relapsed. I don't want this to be a slanging match, though if one has intimate knowledge of the struggles young have trying to get clean, than one should be more understanding.

It take some, usually the young, many relapses before they realise not is well in their lives. So, don't sprout me some NA, AA ******** about I did this and I did that. I've found over many years dealing with the "high & mighty" , who may have vanquished their addictions, can sometimes be the harshest critics for those who now seems unable or unwilling to rid themselves of the demons which are destroying them.

Female Jungle Poster
Then you'd realise the lengths addicts will got o after they have relapsed. I don't want this to be a slanging match, though if one has intimate knowledge of the struggles young have trying to get clean, than one should be more understanding.

It take some, usually the young, many relapses before they realise not is well in their lives. So, don't sprout me some NA, AA ******** about I did this and I did that. I've found over many years dealing with the "high & mighty" , who may have vanquished their addictions, can sometimes be the harshest critics for those who now seems unable or unwilling to rid themselves of the demons which are destroying them.
Again, I'm not seeing her consistently negative behavior as relapsing. Relapsing refers to addicts who are trying to alter their habits, and slipping back into old destructive patterns. Lohan not only does not appear to try to change her negative behavior, but indeed flaunts it for all the world to see.

This is not a person who seems to care that she's in a nasty tailspin, nor care if she takes other people's lives in the process (DUI/DWI again). Why should she care? She's not going to have to pay the price that you, I or any non-addict would, should the situations be reversed.

But hey, if Lohan, on her addict-induced trips, happens to run over a loved one of mine, though, I'll try not to get "high & mighty" about it.