Searching For Bobby Fischer 8/10

→ in
Tools    

One of those films I can watch over and over and will always put a smile on my face.

The true story (though loosely based) of Booby Fischer, a chess prodigy who grew to be one of the most enigmatic players ever.

The direction is superb, with the world of chess made accesible regardless of your knowledge of the game, no small feat. (Im a massive chess head and havebeen since i was 4 years old). Combining inventive cinematography with a focused script that never gets tied down in the game but always comes back to real emotions and dillemmas we can all relate to.

The beauty of this film lies in the use of chess as a metaphor, in other words the film is not about chess so much as finding your identity, commitment to a cause and of course the coming of age of a young prodigy.

The script is absolute poetry, every scene contains an unspoken depth and inner meaning. The music is superb lifting the resonance of every scene. Acting across the board is real and believable and the lighting and cinematography create a mood and atmosphere that alolws all the emotion to flow over the viewer.

Im not a fan of the feel good genre by any means. But when its done this well, with out the usual heavyhanded sentimentality youve got to take notice.

One of my favourite films and a must see for fans of genuine human emotion and what it takes to be a winner.

Check it out ASAP.

Originally Posted by Deckard
One of those films I can watch over and over and will always put a smile on my face.

The true story (though loosely based) of Booby Fischer, a chess prodigy who grew to be one of the most enigmatic players ever.

The direction is superb, with the world of chess made accesible regardless of your knowledge of the game, no small feat. (Im a massive chess head and havebeen since i was 4 years old). Combining inventive cinematography with a focused script that never gets tied down in the game but always comes back to real emotions and dillemmas we can all relate to.

The beauty of this film lies in the use of chess as a metaphor, in other words the film is not about chess so much as finding your identity, commitment to a cause and of course the coming of age of a young prodigy.

The script is absolute poetry, every scene contains an unspoken depth and inner meaning. The music is superb lifting the resonance of every scene. Acting across the board is real and believable and the lighting and cinematography create a mood and atmosphere that alolws all the emotion to flow over the viewer.

Im not a fan of the feel good genre by any means. But when its done this well, with out the usual heavyhanded sentimentality youve got to take notice.

One of my favourite films and a must see for fans of genuine human emotion and what it takes to be a winner.

Check it out ASAP.
Reaching in the ole' archives. This is a very good movie, and made me a true fan of Joe. Good pick McQueen. :yup;
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Totally agree "LordSlaytan" - Joe Mantagna is great in this film and certainly deserves more recognition for h9is body of work.

David Mamet's HOUSE OF CARDS, the Sam Rockwell gem JERRY & TOM and the under rated QUEENS LOGIC alone warrant more attention and praise for this understated actor, who always delivers.