Anyone like Mental illness movies?

Tools    

We are making a series of mental illness short films.
Tell me your favorite movies about mental illness))

Definitely check out Take Shelter, if you haven't seen it yet.

One Flew Over a Cookoos Nest is a must see. Ken Kesey wrote the book. Great story!

The Shining has one of the best performances

Rainer Werner Fassbinder's Despair!

It can all be seen as one huge metaphor, but on the surface, the main character is obviously mentally ill.

Those are awesome suggestions, keep coming~
I like Roman Polanski's Repulsion.

How could we all forget about Shutter Island, such a mind f*ck of a movie!

Definitely check out Take Shelter, if you haven't seen it yet.
WARNING: "Spoiler" spoilers below
But at the end there was a storm! So i dont think he was mental!

WARNING: "Spoiler" spoilers below
But at the end there was a storm! So i dont think he was mental!
WARNING: "Take Shelter" spoilers below
It's meant to be ambiguous. I see the ending as a metaphorical scene that Curtis and the wife and kid are now in it together, regarding his illness - they work to care for him. Basically, she's seeing the storm that is his mental illness, and when she says "okay," she's essentially saying "okay, I'm here for you."

Here's what the director said about the ending:

"It’s specifically designed to be ambiguous. That really riles some people and some people really love it. What’s funny and interesting to me — and not to sound too cocky about it, but I really do think it worked — is everybody talks about the specifics of what’s happening in that scene. And to me, the specifics don’t matter that much. And I’ll explain.

What is happening, what is going to happen, all that is just fun to talk about. But what’s important to me is that these two people are on the same page and are seeing the same thing. There’s several interpretations of where they’re at. And that’s great. But as long as they’re seeing the same thing I think there is a resolution and the possibility of hope in the film."

I personally like to see it as a straight-forward telling of a man with schizophrenia. And I can tell you it's deeply moving and accurate.

WARNING: "Take Shelter" spoilers below
It's meant to be ambiguous. I see the ending as a metaphorical scene that Curtis and the wife and kid are now in it together, regarding his illness - they work to care for him. Basically, she's seeing the storm that is his mental illness, and when she says "okay," she's essentially saying "okay, I'm here for you."

Here's what the director said about the ending:

"It’s specifically designed to be ambiguous. That really riles some people and some people really love it. What’s funny and interesting to me — and not to sound too cocky about it, but I really do think it worked — is everybody talks about the specifics of what’s happening in that scene. And to me, the specifics don’t matter that much. And I’ll explain.

What is happening, what is going to happen, all that is just fun to talk about. But what’s important to me is that these two people are on the same page and are seeing the same thing. There’s several interpretations of where they’re at. And that’s great. But as long as they’re seeing the same thing I think there is a resolution and the possibility of hope in the film."

I personally like to see it as a straight-forward telling of a man with schizophrenia. And I can tell you it's deeply moving and accurate.
"There’s several interpretations of where they’re at."
"I personally like to see it as"

He left it open for interpretation so take it however you want.
This movie effected me somehow. It moved me i loved this movie it effected me personally.

I said it was meant to be ambiguous, didn't I?

The fact of the matter is, ending aside, it's true to the nature of schizophrenia. If you're interested in accurately portraying mental illness, it's a good film to turn to, which is why I recommended it.

Girl, Interrupted

Mad Love

Grey Gardens (1975 documentary/2009 drama)

The Aviator

The Hours

Leaving Las Vegas

Fight Club

Sybil

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I thought Silver Linings Playbook was a good one. It was very realistic and sensitive in it's portrayal of people who live with mental illness, and it was funny, too.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Welcome to the human race...
I thought Silver Linings Playbook was a good one. It was very realistic and sensitive in it's portrayal of people who live with mental illness, and it was funny, too.
Eh, I thought it came across as a quirk implemented to try to differentiate it from every other generic romantic dramedy out there. Of course I believe the guy prone to jealous rages and the manipulative nymphomaniac will live happily ever after.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Eh, I thought it came across as a quirk implemented to try to differentiate it from every other generic romantic dramedy out there. Of course I believe the guy prone to jealous rages and the manipulative nymphomaniac will live happily ever after.
I disagree, because I felt it was nice to see people with mental illness treated like people, not portrayed as tragic figures. Why shouldn't those of us with mental disorders get to enjoy a romantic film once in a while?