What was the last DVD you bought and why?

Tools    

That's really slack. There's no excuse for a film as popular as Welles' to not be available in the US on Blu Ray when it has a 4K release in another English speaking country.

Having said that there are films that have been announced on 4K Blu Ray this year in the US that still haven't been shown in the cinema here in the UK yet.

Holdover from the video nasties era?
Or just recent indie releases from the past year?
Or is there another category I'm missing?

Holdover from the video nasties era?
Or just recent indie releases from the past year?
Or is there another category I'm missing?
I was referring to the film TAR. Which has a blu ray release coming, but isn't even released in cinemas until next year here.

hopefully they have what im looking for
What are you looking for? I'm planning on buying some Criterion Collection dvds or blu rays. The one store that I go to that sells used movies is having a 40 % off sale on everything and the other store in the mall that I buy new movies at is having some sales.

What are you looking for? I'm planning on buying some Criterion Collection dvds or blu rays. The one store that I go to that sells used movies is having a 40 % off sale on everything and the other store in the mall that I buy new movies at is having some sales.
well i been collecting my childhood movies and movies i love on 4K Ultra HD like i already have them on original dvds but wanted to collect them for 4k ultra HD cause i have ps5 and 4k tv

Usually put a few movies out there for easy/cheap Christmas ideas but didn't do that this year. Nonetheless, I did receive one and it came as a complete surprise. I had mentioned this movie a long time ago, just in passing about how I'd like to have a copy it but it's hard to come by and, when I can find it, it usually costs more than I'm willing to spend. Never expected anybody to actually remember it.

So my two favourite stores, Cinema 1 and the Beat Goes on, had Boxing Day sales today. At the Beat Goes on, everything was 40 % off and at Cinema 1, Criterion dvds were on sale. I picked up:

Ingrid Bergman's Swedish years Criterion dvd box set
La Bete Humaine Criterion dvd
By Brakhage: An Anthology Volume 1 Criterion dvd set
Chasing Amy Criterion dvd
Cinema's First Nasty Women Kino blu ray box set
Fanny and Alexander Criterion blu ray
Koko A Talking Gorilla Criterion dvd
Paul Robeson Portraits of the Artist Criterion dvd box set
The Ruling Class Criterion dvd
Spellbound Criterion dvd
Trouble in Paradise Criterion dvd

I got some more Criterion dvds on sale:

A Canterbury Tale
Hedwig and the Angry Inch
La Cage Aux Folles*
Sweet Smell of Success*
The Thief of Bagdad

I got some new blu rays today. I picked up:

Stage Fright (1950)
Film Noir Dark Side of Cinema volume IX (includes Lady on a Train, Tangier, and Take One False Step)
Film Noir Dark Side of Cinema volume XI (includes A Woman’s Vengeance, I Was a Shoplifter, Behind the High Wall)

I love 3 of them for sure.

Hmmm... Not sure exactly where to put this observation, but I see Aftersun, while available to purchase via streaming in both the US and the UK now, has a preorder date for the Blu-ray in the UK. I don't see any such release date yet for a Blu-ray in the US. I don't know if it's just because things haven't been finalized here or if they aren't going to be able to finalize a deal (which, if that's the case, I'd assume due to music rights).

If it doesn't get released here and it is because of music rights, I'd become wary of relying on the streaming version to remain unmodified for its soundtrack indefinitely (actually, I might be wary of that even with a Blu-ray release).

This might also be appropriate for the horror thread though it's not horror, because someone asked about Barbarian and it looks like it's not getting a physical media release.

Hmmm... Not sure exactly where to put this observation, but I see Aftersun, while available to purchase via streaming in both the US and the UK now, has a preorder date for the Blu-ray in the UK. I don't see any such release date yet for a Blu-ray in the US. I don't know if it's just because things haven't been finalized here or if they aren't going to be able to finalize a deal (which, if that's the case, I'd assume due to music rights).
On more than one occasion I’ve pre-ordered something from Amazon.com.uk that is not available to order here in the U.S. Not just Brit stuff either; several times I’ve pre-ordered something that’s American, but not available to pre-order here. It’s useful to toggle between the two websites when I really want to buy a certain movie.