1970's Hall of Fame

Tools    

Dog Day Afternoon

Wow, Elton HJohn tune opens up the film, I had totally forgottne that. You can hear the tape hiss before all the intruments come in. Ahhh, good ole multi track tape!

The acting is ridiculous in this. So good! Pacino is a beast actor...he just destroys every scene!

In a good way, of course.

The end was awesome, loved the procedural aspects all throughout the film.../Durning was awesome...even Lance Henriksen's camero was decent/ Loved the "fake" bus driver..."TAKE A WALK, COP!"

Chris Sarandon playing a neurotic gay man transitioning..solid performance.

Pacino had two wives..interesting how this was all a true story, though.

Such a heavyweight film. A real champion movie. Great directing, writing, and the story itself is wild.

I laughed a lot. This was , i think, essentially a comedy and a drama. Probably more drama but there sure was a lot of funny stuff. Like when Pacino backs into the fern tree in the foyer of the entrance, and he's like "Oh shlt"...stuff like that. He was so on edge. Then he got darker as the movie went on and his wives started talking to him on the phone, and then his mom.

Yeah, great nom!

Eraserhead (1977)

I decided to kick this HoF off with my nomination. Eraserhead is David Lynch's surreal debut about Henry Spencer (Jack Nance) navigating through life while also having to deal with his mutant child after his girlfriend abandons him. The film has very little dialogue and instead uses the surreal imagery to create an unsettling atmosphere. This can best be seen in the dream sequences Henry has, which involve the mutant child and a character known only as The Lady in the Radiator. Another positive of the film is the sound design of the film, which also adds to the atmosphere being created. There are many interpretations of the film and you can probably find most of them online, however the most common one is that the film represents Lynch's fears of fatherhood, which for me is. Overall Eraserhead is a fantastic and surreal experience and hopefully the film will generate a lot of discussion here.

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

And that's me off the mark. I've also watched The Warriors, The Sting and What's Up, Doc and will get write-ups for those soon

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
and @Yam12 is ON THE BOARD!! SWEET!
very cool to find out what ya think of those movies, yam.

Can't remember, have you seen three days of the condor, @Citizen Rules?

and I feel you frustration, @rauldc14

I watched What's Up, Doc? in the beginning of the week after Joel and Citizen watched it and STILL haven't written, or more correctly, got a complete review to post. Started a couple of times and something would come up.

Can't decided which to watch next. Eraserhead? Kramer vs Kramer? Fantastic Planet?. . . these are the ones that seem to beckon the strongest right now.

..Can't remember, have you seen three days of the condor, @Citizen Rules?
Yeah last night, I watched the first 18 minutes of it, and I'm going to finish it tonight, with homemade pizza! Yeah.... But no I haven't seen it before. So far it looks damn good!

I watched What's Up, Doc? in the beginning of the week after Joel and Citizen watched it and STILL haven't written, or more correctly, got a complete review to post. Started a couple of times and something would come up.
Slacker

Can't decided which to watch next. Eraserhead? Kramer vs Kramer? Fantastic Planet?. . . these are the ones that seem to beckon the strongest right now.
Maybe, Kramer vs Kramer? that way you can chime in on if the films presents both sides evenly or not? Either way it's a great film, lots of good stuff in this Hof!

what's on tonight's pizza?

that WAS the argument for having Kramer vs Kramer. . . we will see

and yeah, HUUUGE slacker!!
It's a first for me, I sliced up some peppers I grew this summer. They're called Lemon Drop and they're pretty hot, but also have a citrus flavor to them.

https://www.rareseeds.com/lemon-drop/

And the timer went off and the pizza is now done Have a good evening!

It's a first for me, I sliced up some peppers I grew this summer. They're called Lemon Drop and they're pretty hot, but also have a citrus flavor to them.

https://www.rareseeds.com/lemon-drop/

And the timer went off and the pizza is now done Have a good evening!
I've had those on a steak fajita. Hot, but not insanely so. Hard to taste the lemon flavor since it was mixed in with so much other stuff. But it definitely added to the pleasure.

ENJOY!!

There are many interpretations of the film and you can probably find most of them online, however the most common one is that the film represents Lynch's fears of fatherhood, which for me is.
Or, y'know, it's just crazy images put onscreen for the sake of it!

It definitely has a fatherhood theme, not sure how you could miss that. Lynch's #1 goal is to recreate his dreams/nightmares though and that's where the appeal of Eraserhead lies, i love it to death but it's extremely easy to understand why it's so polarizing.

Three Days of the Condor (1975)

Now, that's a cool movie poster! But I'm not sure if Robert Redford was cool enough to play the lead. While he did fit the role of a bookish, paper pusher CIA employee who's thrust into the world of high espionage...he was lack luster in the film, which then didn't really draw me into the world of clandestine CIA activities. His best roles are the intellectual ones like All The President's Men (1976)

The script could have went several different ways with the story:

It could have been a thrill-a-minute action flick...I don't usually like those but I could see it working with this story premise.

Or the premise could have been deeply complicated involving decoding and fact finding with little action, but lots of high brow stuff. That would have suited Redford well.

My favorite would have had Robert Redford being more of a frightened and inept agent, who only survives by the seat of his pants and by sheer luck. That would lend itself to some dark comedy.

Sorry to fans of Redford, but IMO he lacks the screen presences of say Dustin Hoffman or Al Pacino. And so for me couldn't carry the film....and so I was never 'in' the story, I just merely watched the movie.

Still I'm very glad to have watched it! and it was entertaining movie.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
When is this due again? I've submitted my list but damn this is taking a while to get into the finals.
Originally Oct 31 but I did extend a 2 week deadline. We were rolling through everything and now I don't even know how many lists we will get. I have 5 now.

wow, I honestly thought you'd enjoy it more, @Citizen Rules, sorry to hear that, but I do appreciate your reasons for it.

and no, being a fan of Redford I will NOT forgive you. NEVER. NEVER!

sorry to hear so many haven't sent in votes yet, @rauldc14 -- that IS freakin frustrating!!

The Warriors is a cult action thriller set in a dystopian future which follows the misfortunes of a Coney Island street gang wrongfully accused of killing the chief of the most powerful gang in New York during the major summit. After a bounty for their capture is offered, they become the target of virtually every existing gang in the area and the film consists of them trying to escape home while constantly encountering various gangs trying to hunt them down. Unfortunately the film is nowhere near as exciting as the premise suggests. Outside of solid soundtrack and couple of amusing quotes, there's not much I can really praise. The main lead was laughably bad with zero charisma . His delievery was so expressionless that he was at times unintentionally funny. The acting was uniformly bad with the exception of David Patrick Kelly whose character was one of the the rare aspects that managed to spark my interest. Dialogue was mostly dull and unimaginative as well as the characterizations. But probably the most detrimental aspect of the film was editing. I simply couldn't look away past those godawful comic book transitions which made me feel like I was watching some anime cartoon. Another dissapointment was the finale, more specifically the showdown between Swan and Luther. After a brilliant tension build-up, I was left underwhelmed by their prematurely ended and one-sided battle. So in conclusion, " The Warriors " was a dissapointment in most fronts, but at least I now know where this Scrubs quote originated from.