Top/Fave/Significant Films of the 1920s

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Good list. I'm "entertaining" right now, but I'll try to get back to you, probably late tonight. Meanwhile, you can watch the above link to Entr'acte, and if you check "Short Films" thread, you can find The Goat. The Kid is incredible and a personal fave I had to force myself not to list in the original post.

I dont watch 1920's movies except Charlie Chaplin movies (Gold Rush and The Kid). I always enjoy watching Charlie Chaplin movies. Reading your list of movies makes me want to watch them. Other than Charlie Chaplin movies, which movie would you recommend me to watch first?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
You seem to like fantasy, so I'd say almost any of them because awesome silent films rely on surrealism which is a terrific version of fantasy. If I had to choose two, I'd say Metropolis or The Adventures of Prince Acnmed. The problems with those are that they just restored Metropolis from two hours to two-and-a-half hours, so you'll have to wait awhile to see that one, but you can get the "unrestored" one. I'm not sure if Prince Achmed is even on DVD, It plays about once a year on Turner Classic Movies, and that's where I got my copy. Be sure to watch that one (and Metropolis) on loud stereo systems because the scores are both awesome. Now, I'm not totally sure how they "restored" the missing soundtrack but I'm looking forward to finding out.

Put me in your pocket...
Here is my favorites list from the 1920's. Some have left their mark on me for one reason or another.

The Kid (1921)
The Thief of Bagdad (1924)
He Who Gets Slapped (1924)
The Gold Rush (1925)
The Phantom of the Opera (1925)
Don Juan (1926)
Flesh and the Devil (1926)
Metropolis (1927)
The Wind (1928)
Leave ‘Em Laughing (1928)
Pandora’s Box (Die Büchse der Pandora) (1929)

You seem to like fantasy, so I'd say almost any of them because awesome silent films rely on surrealism which is a terrific version of fantasy. If I had to choose two, I'd say Metropolis or The Adventures of Prince Acnmed. The problems with those are that they just restored Metropolis from two hours to two-and-a-half hours, so you'll have to wait awhile to see that one, but you can get the "unrestored" one. I'm not sure if Prince Achmed is even on DVD, It plays about once a year on Turner Classic Movies, and that's where I got my copy. Be sure to watch that one (and Metropolis) on loud stereo systems because the scores are both awesome. Now, I'm not totally sure how they "restored" the missing soundtrack but I'm looking forward to finding out.

FYI Metropolis and The Adventures of Prince Acnmed are on DVD. Interestingly, both were made in Germany. They are already on my list for watching movies! Thank you, mark f.

I'd recommend Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans. It's probably my favorite silent film that I've seen so far.
I forgot about that movie! I remember I watched it before. It was very good movie! Thanks for your recommendation, rauldc14.

I've not seen a whole lot myself. Off the top of my head, I've seen:

- The Gold Rush
- A Dog's Life
- Man With A Movie Camera
- Nanook of The North
- The Thief of Bagdad
- The General

I have Sunrise and The Passion of Joan of Arc laying around here somewhere, just never got around to watching them. When you can choose between tons of movies with witty dialogue or a few silent movies, it's always easier to go for the former. One of my many vices I guess...

Buster Keaton's The Cameraman is a memorable piece of silent film.

I have Sunrise and The Passion of Joan of Arc laying around here somewhere, just never got around to watching them. When you can choose between tons of movies with witty dialogue or a few silent movies, it's always easier to go for the former. One of my many vices I guess...
I thought I was the only person under 75 who owned copies of those two movies. rep point!

But, yeah, if we're talking seminal works in the silent era as the thread title suggests, I would go with Sunrise, Metropolis, The Birth of a Nation , The General, and The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari.

Silent film is far too often neglected in the Brother Blue abode; The General, City Lights (not the 20s but I'll add it here anyway to make up the numbers), Metropolis and The Passion of Joan of Arc are the only silent films of any merit that I can really ever remember watching and enjoying.

But that's one good thing about this thread. Lots of recommendations.

Metropolis and The Cabinet of Dr Caligari have to be up there. German Expressionism is great

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Nosferatu has to get a mention here. I think it was significant to the horror genre. Funny to see it now though since it really isn't all that scary.

I just watched Metropolis (1927). It's really awesome visual effect for 1920's. Too bad about 1/4 of the film is missing. Overall, it's pretty good film. I really enjoyed it. I would recommend anyone to watch it.

Amazingly I've seen some of these. I need to get into the 20s and the whole silent era a whole lot more.

Planet out.

The Kid, Nosferatu, Gold Rush and Sherlock Jr. and Metropolis are one of my favorites.

Did anyone mention The Lost World (1925)? Jurassic Park for the old days!

German movies in those days were great! Sadly they lost a lot in the movie industry after the World War.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Best: The Passion of Joan of Arc
Favourite: The Passion of Joan of Arc
Significant: The Passion of Joan of Arc
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Sherlock Jr.
Un Chien Andalou
Battleship Potemkin
Sunrise
The General
The Passion of Joan of Arc
Entr'acte
(watched as Mark nominated/recommended in short films thread too )

Those are all of the 1920s films I have seen, and I have liked all of them, Sherlock Jr. is my favourite definitely.