Films atmospherically similar to the Alexandria Quartet

Tools    

I know, I know, one of my ‘out there’ threads. The Alexandria Quartet is one of my favourite books (I perceive all five as a single whole though I probably shouldn’t). That probably implies I should be able to describe what I mean by the kind of feeling it evokes, but I’m not sure I can. I didn’t enjoy the 1969 version of Justine at all (the only adaptation that I know of), but in any case, I’m looking for more of an atmospheric similarity. Appreciate this is a bit vague, but thoughts welcome.

I know, I know, one of my ‘out there’ threads. The Alexandria Quartet is one of my favourite books (I perceive all five as a single whole though I probably shouldn’t). That probably implies I should be able to describe what I mean by the kind of feeling it evokes, but I’m not sure I can. I didn’t enjoy the 1969 version of Justine at all (the only adaptation that I know of), but in any case, I’m looking for more of an atmospheric similarity. Appreciate this is a bit vague, but thoughts welcome.
Never heard of this book & too lazy to look it up.

Never heard of this book & too lazy to look it up.
It’s one of my favourite books, it’s by Gerald Durrell’s eldest brother. An all-encompassing-type novel, a bit like the U.S.A. trilogy (another one of my favourite books).

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...andria_Quartet

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/261441

A friend recently started reading the former and asked if there are any ‘similar films’ — the request itself is amusing but regardless, I found myself stumped and wondered if there actually are, as I couldn’t think of any.

Audible's "listeners who picked this title also picked" feature lists these books when you look up ones in that series, each of which has a movie adaptation. Hope this helps.

Brideshead Revisited (the 2008 one is supposed to be pretty good)
The Decameron
The Leopard
The Naked and the Dead
Tom Jones
Women in Love

Audible's "listeners who picked this title also picked" feature lists these books when you look up ones in that series, each of which has a movie adaptation. Hope this helps.

Brideshead Revisited (the 2008 one is supposed to be pretty good)
The Decameron
The Leopard
The Naked and the Dead
Tom Jones
Women in Love
Thank you so much — this is helpful. I did have a brief Visconti moment last year, but actually, that’s probably the direction I’ll go. The Leopard does have a similar feel. Didn’t think of that! Will also check out 3 and 4 as I don’t think I’ve seen these.