The Buffy Thread

Tools    

Originally posted by Mary Loquacious

You may have gotten ahold of a mediocre episode, Sully. Unbelievable as it seems, there are a few not-so-great ones. I curious to know which one you saw... Do you remember anything of the plot?
Yes. Buffy was battling this other girl for the Homecoming Queen position, or some student body election. Then their mutual friends bought them a limousine, which turned out to be driven by some hell-spawned lackey who drove them into the woods and left them in an ambush zone. They holed up in a convenient cabin and talked about life while bad guys crawled around in the bushes outside. Eventually, the cabin blew up. That's as much as I saw.

Oh, and then I saw another episode where all the adults ate candy that made them immature. Novel idea And then Buffy went into the sewers and lit a demon on fire before it could eat some babies.

Then, a few nights later, I caught an episode or two of Angel.....apparently Angel impregnated some vampire chick and there was some prophecy about her child and a collection of other events. They went to a hospital, got an ultrasound, beat up a vampire cult, and then went back to the hotel where Angel ran into what was apparently a bad guy with a sword and absolutely horrible facial hair. I thought it was mildly entertaining....moreso than either of the Buffy episodes I saw.

Originally posted by Sullivan
Yes. Buffy was battling this other girl for the Homecoming Queen position, or some student body election. Then their mutual friends bought them a limousine, which turned out to be driven by some hell-spawned lackey who drove them into the woods and left them in an ambush zone. They holed up in a convenient cabin and talked about life while bad guys crawled around in the bushes outside. Eventually, the cabin blew up. That's as much as I saw.

Oh, and then I saw another episode where all the adults ate candy that made them immature. Novel idea And then Buffy went into the sewers and lit a demon on fire before it could eat some babies.
Ah. "Homecoming," with Slayer Fest '98, and "Band Candy." Yeah, those are pretty mediocre, as Buffy eps go, although "Band Candy" is damn funny if you know the show's history.

The Angel ep you saw was part of the big "Angel's child" story arc this past season. Good stuff.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Okay, Fave Lines:

"I don't like to brag, but....Who am I kidding, I LOVE to brag!"

"THAT'S what that song is about?"

"I think I actually heard Giles polish his glasses over the phone.."

"You play for Kittens?" "Yeah, they're delicious!"

"You're so amped about Hell...Then go there."

There are more, but I can't remember them at this exact moment....

Here's something I just found out. Amber Benson, despite Tara's death, will still be part of Buffy next year. She's writing a few episodes for the upcoming season. This is way cool, because she wrote 3 Buffy comics, "Willow and Tara," "Willow and Tara II," and "Tales of the Slayers #1" (all very good), and Joss Whedon gave her a job.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

I'd heard that she was under contract for next season. I'm glad it's as a writer and not as Tara.

WARNING: "Buffy" spoilers below
Bringing her back would just cheapen her death. It's not like Buffy, the anchor character, dying. My friends are hypothesizing all these ways that she'll be brought back, since we'd heard the contract rumor. Hah! I can tell them now that I was right!

More good lines:

"All these people just walking around, like Happy Meals on legs."

"A werewolf. It's one of the classics. I'm sure my books and I are in for a fascinating evening."

"It seems that when Angel lost his soul, he regained his sense of whimsy."

"If the Apocalypse comes, beep me."

Fighting out of the Lions Den
That ponce Riley practically ruined my Buffy lovefest from Season 4 on .
And I hate the fact that it took till midway season 5 for his ass to be shown the door!
I hated that guy soooooooo much!
I also don`t like the way Willow`s character has developed over the last few seasons either,(this is begining to sound like a rantathon...maybe I should head to the `Shout box` instead ).
I much prefer the Vulnerable,computer nerdy Willow of early seasons...She`s just ridiculous now.
I`m so happy I won`t get to see her and Tara fat arse tonsil-tickling again anytime soon too. What a mess that was.
And what is happening to Xander? Did you see how Fat he looked in that wedding suit? I thought it was Pavarotti getting hitched!
Giles is missed big time for me.

On the plus side, I`m glad Spike will be back to evil form next season.

I do think Angelus was the best of the bad bunch to date.

Favourite characters: Anya & Spike

I can`t see this show going much longer though...It`s been on a downward spiral ever since season 4.

That ponce Riley practically ruined my Buffy lovefest from Season 4 on.
Ach. I liked Riley okay, but he definitely has to be one of the weakest main characters of the show. I wasn't heartbroken when he left--he got awful damn whiny in Season 5. "Oh, Buffy, you don't need me, blah ditty blah..."

I have to disagree with you about Willow. I think she's one of the best characters on the show, especially in terms of development. We've seen her go from shy technophobe to (too) powerful witch, not to mention her interesting love life. And Season 6, I felt, was her best season yet. I'm very, very interested in how they're going to handle her next season--rumors are running rampant, as they say. Should be cool.

I`m so happy I won`t get to see her and Tara fat arse tonsil-tickling again anytime soon too. What a mess that was.
And what is happening to Xander? Did you see how Fat he looked in that wedding suit? I thought it was Pavarotti getting hitched!
Are you obsessed with weight issues or what? With Xander, though, I have to say, it's a kind of Tommy Boy thing:

"Does this suit make me look fat?"
"No, your face does."

Ol' Boy has kind of a broad face. Although he's got nothin' on David Boreanaz.

I missed Giles, too--and f*cking loved him in the series finale. He kicks so much a*s. And he'll be getting his own series in the near future, although unless BBC America is kind to me, I won't be seeing it anytime soon.

I'm glad to see it's more than the Monkey and me who like Buffy. We need more Buffy fans to post on this here thread! :YUP:

Are you obsessed with weight issues or what? With Xander, though, I have to say, it's a kind of Tommy Boy thing:
Sorry, but I can only put that down to the fact I`m a Personal Trainer...maybe I notice Flab more than most .

I missed Giles, too--and f*cking loved him in the series finale. He kicks so much a*s. And he'll be getting his own series in the near future, although unless BBC America is kind to me, I won't be seeing it anytime soon.
Any clue when this all kicks off and what`s it gonna be called?

I'm glad to see it's more than the Monkey and me who like Buffy. We need more Buffy fans to post on this here thread!
I am surprised more people haven`t kicked into this thread.
I`ll certainly chip in when the times right Mary.

P.S...Still prefer old Willow

Originally posted by Jonny Goodboy
Any clue when this all kicks off and what`s it gonna be called?
It'll be called either Ripper or The Watcher, and hopefully it'll be on the air as soon as early 2003. I've heard rumors about a late 2002 pilot, but that's doubtful, 'cause Tony Head's got a full plate right now with Manchild. Which I also will probably never get to see.

P.S...Still prefer old Willow
Well, you go right ahead and prefer her. We all know who's better--THE NEW AND IMPROVED WILLOW!

Originally posted by Mary Loquacious

It'll be called either Ripper or The Watcher, and hopefully it'll be on the air as soon as early 2003. I've heard rumors about a late 2002 pilot, but that's doubtful,
Should be a blast whatever.
How much more do you about it Mary?
Is it a Joss Whedon vehicle...Any other characters stretching their wings over to this one...Is it set before the days of Buffy Sommers or present day...set in U.K.or U.S?

Like I said, should be a blast whatever.

I have watched every single episode of BUffy that has been on British TV. I love it. Funny, Good Storylines the characters everything.

Plus I happen to think Sarah Michelle Gellar is the best looking woman in the world ever. As my website shows.

Check it out if u wish.
http://lameroad.topcities.com

Lewis.

I JUST LOVE THE SHOW!

The Brits are so lucky to be able to buy the first 5 seasons of BtVS on DVD. They are also way lucky to get to see Tony Head in anything.

I loved the musical ep (even though some of them cans sing and some certainly can't dance). BTW, at a Trek convention I saw some Musical ep soundtrack CDs for sale that had been given away at the premiere, I think. And later I saw one for sale on eBay. These discs looked like a promo item, not a bootleg CD.

Season 3 Angel was really good, and finally Fred is growing on me. Captain Cardboard never did. (Riley was a cute hunk o' beef, but so boring, IMO.)

Cannot wait for season 7 and more of Spike.

Should be a blast whatever.
How much more do you about it Mary?
Is it a Joss Whedon vehicle...Any other characters stretching their wings over to this one...Is it set before the days of Buffy Sommers or present day...set in U.K.or U.S?

Like I said, should be a blast whatever.
Here's what I know:

Joss Whedon will be in the pilot's seat in terms of producing and whatnot, although I'm not sure how much of it he'll actually be doing writing- and directing-wise. There's a possibility of cross-overs with Buffy, but I'm not holding my breath (although I would love to see such a thing). And it will be set pretty much in the current continuity--Giles living in England after he leaves Sunnydale, trying to get his own life back on track, that sort o' thing. It looks to be pretty dark, and I'm certain we'll be seeing more of Ethan Rayne, a minor character that I love who is part of Giles's "dark past."

And I agree--it should kick a*s.

I loved the musical ep (even though some of them cans sing and some certainly can't dance). BTW, at a Trek convention I saw some Musical ep soundtrack CDs for sale that had been given away at the premiere, I think. And later I saw one for sale on eBay. These discs looked like a promo item, not a bootleg CD.
I want it, I want it, I want it! I've got almost all the songs downloaded off the 'Net, but as soon as they put a CD out, I'm buying it.

And BTW, for those who loved the Musical (otherwise known as "Once More... With Feeling"), there's a great little mini-doc of it up somewhere on the UPN site that has behind-the-scenes moments and some talk with the stars and with Joss himself. Pretty cool stuff.

Cannot wait for season 7 and more of Spike.
You said it, my friend. There's gonna be some interesting stuff happening in Sunnyhell for William the Bloody Awful Poet.

I had read somewhere that the mini series Ripper was only going to be on the BBC, which I hope is NOT true, because us poor people here in the states would have to wait for the DVD. I can't afford to move to the U.K.! Also, anyone know when the Buffy Xbox game is out? I'm dying to play it...

The X-box game should be out later this month.

I had read somewhere that the mini series Ripper was only going to be on the BBC, which I hope is NOT true, because us poor people here in the states would have to wait for the DVD. I can't afford to move to the U.K.!
Unfortunately for us, it will be a BBC production. And since BBC America seems to be allergic to airing newer British shows (although I'm not knocking my Brilliant! and Father Ted re-runs, no sir), we will most likely have to wait for VHS or DVD.

And, yep, that sucks big hairy balls. Sucks 'em right straight to hell.

Here's what I know:
Joss Whedon will be in the pilot's seat in terms of producing and whatnot, although I'm not sure how much of it he'll actually be doing writing- and directing-wise. There's a possibility of cross-overs with Buffy, but I'm not holding my breath (although I would love to see such a thing). And it will be set pretty much in the current continuity--Giles living in England after he leaves Sunnydale, trying to get his own life back on track, that sort o' thing. It looks to be pretty dark, and I'm certain we'll be seeing more of Ethan Rayne, a minor character that I love who is part of Giles's "dark past."
Cheers ML, still sounds like a blast...I`d put money on Ethan`s mug showing up too (wouldn`t be surprised if he`ll be a regular).

Unfortunately for us, it will be a BBC production. And since BBC America seems to be allergic to airing newer British shows
Yup, that`s pretty much suck`s for ardent fans such as you.
Maybe, I`ll be a Gent and send you out some Videos

Cheers ML, still sounds like a blast...I`d put money on Ethan`s mug showing up too (wouldn`t be surprised if he`ll be a regular).

Yup, that`s pretty much suck`s for ardent fans such as you.
Maybe, I`ll be a Gent and send you out some Videos
If it comes to that (which it probably will), I've some connections in the UK I'll be hitting up for tapes. But thanks for the offer!

And if Robin Sachs isn't given a regular berth on the show, then there is no justice.

From IMDB:

The End For Buffy?
Sexy actress Sarah Michelle Gellar plans to give up Buffy The Vampire Slayer following the success of her latest movie Scooby-Doo. The 25-year-old star has played high-kicking evil-conquering lead character Buffy Summers for the past five years since the hit TV show began. But she now sees her future on the big screen following the box-office success of Scooby-Doo, in which she played Daphne Blake. She says, "It's important for me to go out on top. I don't want to be part of a show that runs eight years only to have people say of it, 'That should have ended years ago'." The producers of the show are now working on ways to continue the series, which will otherwise end after its seventh run. The most likely possibility would see Buffy's role taken by her teenage sister Dawn, played by Michelle Trachtenberg. There is also a chance that Sarah may be persuaded to make regular cameos. Buffy executive producer Marti Noxon says, "I'm not sure that Sarah will come back. It would be very hard to continue without her, although program makers 20th Century Fox might try." Sarah has been forced to miss out on a string of top movie roles due to the time- consuming constraints of the Buffy schedule and has also complained about the toll the show's stunts take on her body. However in addition to Scooby-Doo she did star in 1999's acclaimed Cruel Intentions and in 2001 flick Harvard Man.
Just FYI.

Thanks for the news, Chris!

Yeah, I figured as much, although I hadn't heard this particular news. She's way too big to stay on the show much longer. All contracts for the series regulars will be up at the end of the coming season, so who knows what will happen? If enough of them stay, they'll probably find a way to keep it going, and I'm sure I'll be a'watching. Unless it blows, and then I'll stop.

'Tis depressing, but that's the way it goes, I reckon. And frankly, Sarah Michelle Gellar herself leaving the show doesn't really bother me, although I'll probably get reamed by the other Buffy fans here for saying that. She's the title character and the center of the show, sure, but it's the supporting players that keep me tuning in more than anything. If they stay, and she goes, then there's still hope for Buffy (the show, not herself), as far as I'm concerned.

Although, as titles, "Dawn the Vampire Slayer" or "Dawn the Vampire Slayer's Younger Sister" don't have quite the same ring to them...

I'd still watch the show without Buffy herself appearing. They could call it "Sunnydale" or something, and make it more of an ensemble piece. If the writing was still top notch, I know I'd be there. (Buffy was always my least favorite character anyways.)

21st century digital boy
I love Buffy The Vampire Slayer! seriously the best show. Can't wait: Buffy the Musical is coming out on CD September 24th!