Best opening scene?

Tools    

I think a few potential winners have to include:

Full Metal Jacket
Saving Private Ryan
Gladiator

What do you think?

I'm thinking all James Bond films, Top Gun, Jurassic Park, the intro text at the start of every Star Wars movie, and the intro dialogue to Raising Arizona.

Movie-Fever.com | New! Movie Fever Forums

What's the opening scene of Jurassic Park again?

SPOILERS - - -

The park people are transferring the Velociraptor from it's cage to the park. It breaks the door and drags the guy into the cage while the lead ranger is yelling, "Shoot her!" all the while you hear really high-pitch dinosaur screams.

Ah yes, I remember now...

MovieForums Extra

Aaahh people, how about the Godfather ??

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
X-Men did have a very good opening, as did Jurassic Park. Also so did The Big Hit, but I think I liked Goldeneye's the best. Jumping off the dam was perfect.

Radioactive Spider Blood
I saw this heading, and said to myself "James Bond." Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies (okay you can tell I havent seen all of them.. the old ones especially) but these rocked.

I think I'm going to go to Blockbuster and get a DVD or two now!

"Chances are, if your parents didn't have any kids, then you won't either."

I like the beginning of Die Hard 3:

SPOILERS BELOW

When the camera is flying through the city to some nice Christmas music, and you are just waiting for the film to get through the typical boring beginning credits when all of a sudden there's a massive explosion - very unexpected, I liked it a lot.

THe mother of all opening scenes,
has to be "Apocalypse Now'!

The chopper, the napalm and the Doors!

Oh man.. What an opening!

Brings tears to my eyes :bawl: everytime!!

Being a fan of long tracking shots, I have to say that I enjoy the opening scenes of both Snake Eyes and The Player (those are two films with long tracking shots that I remember off hand).

Some of my Favourite Opening Scenes:(In no order)

Spielbergs Jaws
Lucas's Star Wars
Lewis Gilberts You Only Live Twice
Finchner's Fight Club
Bryan Singers Usual Suspects ,the first piece to the puzzle that is this masterpiece
Terry Gilliams 12 Monkeys an original future world
Ridley Scotts Blade Runner the cityscape etc just took my breath away when I first saw this
John Woos Hard Boiled.the opening shootout in the restaurant.
Peckinpahs The Wild Bunch, the opening shootout when the bunch unleash bloody hell on that small town.
Oliver Stones Natural Born Killers, Juliette Lewis & Woody Harrelson tearing that diner apart
Adrian Lynes Jacobs Ladder that opening was just full on. Both Cinematically & Graphically.
George Roy Hills Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid, the opening where we meet the pair for the first time.

All good ones mentioned & so many more greats not yet listed...

Alwaysabout, that classic scene of bombing the village isn't the opening scene of Apocolypse Now - that's where Martin Sheen is in his hotel room in (I think) Saigon doing Tai Chi.

Whoops!
must have got me facts wrong! sorry!

but that was a great scene, no?

Apparently,
in the opening scene of 'Apocalypse Now' when Martin Sheen does his Tai-Chi thing, followed by a nervous breakdown (when he smashes the mirror with his han),

Martin Sheen actually had a breakdown during the shoot, so what you saw in that scene was for real!

Can anyone voucher this?

The documentary on the filming of Apocolypse Now (Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocolypse) has a whole segment on that scene. It wasn't so much that he had a breakdown as that he was drunk (or something like that) and went farther than the scene had been written. He wasn't supposed to break the mirror and actually hurt himself when he did.

Sheen also did have a fairly serious heart attack during the filming of Apocolypse Now and was absent for part of the filming.

MovieForums Extra

Hmmm, makes for a good opening scene though! I don't like the Estevezes very much ( Martin and Charlie's real surname), partially because people say I look like Charlie/Martin

SPOILERS BELOW!

Speaking of things that weren't planned for a movie (sorry, I'm getting a bit off track here), the scene in the Godfather in the end when Marlon Brando turns around, puts a quarter of an orange in his mouth (again the symbol of someone dying just like Crash pointed out) and scares his grandson was real and improvised!

Also, for all and any that have seen Psycho, in the famous shower scene when the girl is murdured, Alfred Hitchcock arranged for the water to turn freezing cold all of a sudden at the same time, so the blood curdling scream was as real as it gets

well, i'd have to say pulp fiction (as far as i'm concerned it's the best film ever). but also reservior dogs and most bond films have very good opening sequences.