List of female directors TSPDT/S&S?

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
What exciting times am I in the middle of, that I am missing out on?
LMAO.

OK that's enough input from me to you this beautiful morning. I'll leave you to it, but thanks for confirming my previous post. Wakey wakey hands off snakey lilone, or you're going to miss the ride.

On a final note, one thing I think you'll be good at is the technical aspect of film making, not artistic. Just a hunch.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Oh, why is that a hunch?

Oh, why is that a hunch?
Oh my giddy aunt and clutch my pearls. You're actually asking me why it's a hunch?

I'm convinced you are the little annoying nephew always carrying on with Why is that, Why is it so, Why Why Why, and driving auntie completely up the wall. Tiny teacup humans do that.

*Cue next question.

Oh yeah, we learned that in film school as well. But with all male students, it feels like not a lot of women are applying to get behind it compared to men still. So I thought maybe they were not interested as much.
It really never occurred to you that there are many more reasons? That's why we need to raise awareness for this issue.. I'd say a big reason that maybe women don't want to enter the film world is because of things like this.

So I thought the reason why there are more male directors is cause more men like that job more in comparison, or so I thought. I didn't think it was cause women had less opportunity, I thought most of them didn't want that job.
Used to work in a heavily male dominated field. I can tell you I got told straight to my face by a band of nobodies "You can't do our sound, you're a woman. What do women know about metal?"

Used to work in a heavily male dominated field. I can tell you I got told straight to my face by a band of nobodies "You can't do our sound, you're a woman. What do women know about metal?"
Dumbasses!
Anybody worth their salt knows most women know an awful lot about how to iron for a start!

Where does this lack of opportunity come from though? I went to film school and there seems to be just as much opportunity out there for female directors as males. At least that is what my film school professors said, in talks about it.

I though the reason why there are a lot more male directors is that males are more interested in that type of job. When I say that, I do not mean that to sound sexist or anything, it's just some jobs more men prefer, and some jobs more women prefer.

For example, in the movies I worked on so far, the make up artists, have always been women. Not that they all are of course, but that is just an example of a job that women seem to want more, compared to men.

So I thought the reason why there are more male directors is cause more men like that job more in comparison, or so I thought. I didn't think it was cause women had less opportunity, I thought most of them didn't want that job.
Anna Biller was quite outspoken of her struggles to get 'The Love Witch' made. see this thread:

She doesn't directly state that it's because she's a woman, but infers that she faced struggles because of this. The lack of respect shown to her on set and in post production perhaps wouldn't have been shown if she weren't female.

She tweets some interesting stuff on gender roles in movies, and although it's bound to get a range of comments, it should be at least listened to:

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I loved Love Witch's visuals (), but that feminist aura around it was pretty distasteful. Making an exploitation film whose main protagonist is afraid to show her boobs is pretty inane too. Look into the works of Akerman or Chytilová for some quality feminist cinema.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Oh okay, I didn't know the issue was that bad for not hiring women. What about what I said about Barbara Broccoli never hiring women directors to direct the James Bond movies? Could she too think that hiring a woman is too much of taking a chance, or is just not comfortable with it?

Even in my film school class, every student was male.
That says loads right there. It would have been interesting if there had been one or two females and what they would say if you asked them why do you want to be a director. But you didn’t even have the opportunity to do that so that left you with only (what to you seemed perfectly logical) assumptions.

This got me thinking about the James Bond movie producer Barbara Broccoli. She's a female producer, but she always hires male directors to do the Bond movies. Would she feel that hiring a female director, would be taking a chance, even though she is female?
Its interesting you say that because the bias in the industry is not strictly overt in its discrimination. It’s a culture that’s in place. And it extends to women too. I’ll note the example of producer Kathleen Kennedy who so many love to bash for seemingly going out of her way to promote a feminist agenda in the recent Star Wars movies. Well even she said something sort of dispiriting when asked whether a female director would have the chance to direct any of the Star Wars movies (before they had released any). She said she’d love to have a female director but “We need to not go to a filmmaker who’s done one movie and expect them to come in and do something the size of Star Wars without having an opportunity to find other movies they can do along the way.”

The irony here is that male directors frequently take the reins of a giant Hollywood blockbuster after making just one small budget film. In fact, Kennedy hired Gareth Edwards to direct Star Wars: Rogue One after he made the microbudget indie Monsters and the fairly unimpressive Godzilla. Can you imagine if Kennedy had hired a woman to direct Last Jedi how much more vitriolic the reaction would have been from the anti "female agenda" folks? They would have been screaming about how hiring an "inexperienced woman" was the sign of a clear agenda even if they had made the exact same movie as Rian Johnson. But a lot less people called Johnson an unqualified hack then they called Kennedy a dictator pushing her own agenda. I wonder why that is...

Kennedy’s own husband, Frank Marshall, picked Colin Trevorrow to make the $150 million Jurassic World after having made just one little indie film for significantly less than $1 million. So even among other women theres an assumption that women have to keep proving themselves over and over when a man can make one movie and hit the jackpot. That’s what I meant when I said women need to have pages of qualifications while men just need to have “a feel” for the material in many cases.

I loved Love Witch's visuals (), but that feminist aura around it was pretty distasteful. Making an exploitation film whose main protagonist is afraid to show her boobs is pretty inane too. Look into the works of Akerman or Chytilová for some quality feminist cinema.
I was sad to hear that Sedmikrasky was never meant to be a feminist movie. It feels so feminist to me.

It really never occurred to you that there are many more reasons? That's why we need to raise awareness for this issue.. I'd say a big reason that maybe women don't want to enter the film world is because of things like this.
Yes I do agree with you.

I was sad to hear that Sedmikrasky was never meant to be a feminist movie. It feels so feminist to me.
Do you mean it was never meant to be feminist, as in initial plans/screenplay were different, or that even the final product is not a feminist film? Is there any interview with Chytilová you can link to where she openly states the film was not meant to be feminist? I can imagine her saying something like this when the film was released (she was banned from filmmaking for a long time because of the film, but not because of the feminist themes, but of the subversiveness of the film).

Do you mean it was never meant to be feminist, as in initial plans/screenplay were different, or that even the final product is not a feminist film? Is there any interview with Chytilová you can link to where she openly states the film was not meant to be feminist? I can imagine her saying something like this when the film was released (she was banned from filmmaking for a long time because of the film, but not because of the feminist themes, but of the subversiveness of the film).
I have the DVD and in the booklet is an interview with her. The theme was never meant to be feminist (and never was.) She actually set out to critique these selfish girls, rather than set them out as feminist icons (that's how we interpret them.)

Oh okay, I didn't know the issue was that bad for not hiring women. What about what I said about Barbara Broccoli never hiring women directors to direct the James Bond movies? Could she too think that hiring a woman is too much of taking a chance, or is just not comfortable with it?

Probably because it's not up to one person. Maybe see if she's on twitter or whatever and ask her. That might be a bit of fun for you, and you could report back to us.

I havent seen it but what specifically about feminism was distasteful to you, Min?

The way it was entangled into the narrative. The director was inspired by 70s Hammer horror and gialli (and even Hitchcock), but tried to twist them so that she can fit her feminist worldview into it. The problem is these two are like chalk and cheese. The eponymous Love Witch is a dominant female who dominates the patriarchy and denudes men's "weaknesses". She's okay with leaving a guy for death or even killing him. This is pretty okayish, but throughout the film there were these sitcom-level feminist remarks/cues in dialogues (and some parts felt like Sabrina, the Teenage Witch-level fare) that I sadly cannot remember anymore that felt really cringy. All in all, the witch turns out to be a monster, an unfulfilled woman that feels like taking revenge of all men - perhaps an accurate depiction of radical feminists. :P

In my memory, that wasn't the case in The Love Witch, though?

In my memory, that wasn't the case in The Love Witch, though?
Skin-color bra and (I think) panties. I felt cheated.