Fargo - TV Series

Tools    

Starting episode 8 now. Really exceptional series.

Allison Tolman is following in some pretty big footsteps. Frances McDormand played the hero in the movie Fargo, and Tolmans portrayal of Molly Solverson is running in the same vein. I feel her performance is as-good-as McDormands, and theres is no lag in her scenes. This is impressive because the other "movie" actors (Billy Bob Thornton & Martin Freeman) arent stealing the show, and their performances are above average in their own right.

They need to make work for big women out there. Its true! Think of all the excellent acting we will never get to see because of 20 lbs here or there. Great job to Tolman, and I hope its not the last time I see her.

Halfway thru the last episode. I dont know how much creative liberties were or werent taken making this, but if there were non then Lorne Malvo is (or was) a true blue ninja. Unbelievable what he got away with and for how long. I will definitely be trying to find the details on the real life characters and crime after finishing this later.

Halfway thru the last episode. I dont know how much creative liberties were or werent taken making this, but if there were non then Lorne Malvo is (or was) a true blue ninja. Unbelievable what he got away with and for how long. I will definitely be trying to find the details on the real life characters and crime after finishing this later.
Its not a true life crime Tongo. Them saying that is a little misdirection tease. It is a call back to when the Coen brothers did that in the original Fargo. Glad your enjoying it.

Yeah I just found that out after finishing the last one, was gonna post a link but its common news now. Great watch! Glad I didnt know it was fiction till after as it helped the intrigue. Excellent show.

You didn't know it was fiction?!?!?! Really? Did you think the original was true?
I did! Didnt think anything happened in the movie that was so outlandish to doubt & check its "true story" label, but the tv series I wasnt so sure. I mean Billy Bobs Malvo was able to kill so much and casually he was thiiiiis close to being able to phase thru walls.

Did you see it when it came out? Because I thought it was true when it came out, but found out a couple of years later that it wasn't. Of course, I knew it wasn't "true" as in accurate because it's a film, but I didn't know if was completely made up until later. The based on a true story beginning of the series is, as Sean said, is a reference back to the film.

I don't know if I'd think of it differently if I thought it was true or not. I don't think I would, but I can't say for sure as I didn't view it that way. I guess I don't think it's real whether it's "true" or not.

I thought the series was pretty good, though. It just managed to stay on the right side of believeable, I think. Though it veered a little too close sometimes.

I didn't see Fargo till a couple years after it came out so I knew. I don't think it would have made a difference for me. I can see how it might though. The stories in both wander into the absurd so I can see your enjoyment of it being heightened in the moment if you think its real.

10 Fargo main characters from best to worst so far:
  1. Peggy Blumquist- she's unpredictable and sometimes funny because she seeks self improvement and she wants to be good wife at the same time.
  2. Ed Blumquist- he finds himself in most bonkers situations, not least because of his wife for whom he is ready to do anything.
  3. Lorne Malvo- the plot of the first season revolved around his activities.
  4. Officer Gus Grimly- Colin Hanks played his role well as father and a man with heart.
  5. Lester Nygaard- before "success" he could always ask himself a question:- "what if you're right and they're wrong?". His "success" only confirmed he was a loser after all.
  6. Deputy Molly Solverson- she was quite good detective. She might have appeared brilliant only because all others around her were down right stupid.
  7. Floyd Gerhardt- Jean Smart fits her role well.
  8. State Trooper Lou Solverson- he is very clean cut. That's good in real life, but on TV there should be something wrong with you.
  9. Sheriff Hank Larsson- he's just there.
  10. Chief Bill Oswalt- he's just there to obstruct the investigation.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
10 Fargo main characters from best to worst so far:
  1. Peggy Blumquist- she's unpredictable and sometimes funny because she seeks self improvement and she wants to be good wife at the same time.
  2. Ed Blumquist- he finds himself in most bonkers situations, not least because of his wife for whom he is ready to do anything.
  3. Lorne Malvo- the plot of the first season revolved around his activities.
  4. Officer Gus Grimly- Colin Hanks played his role well as father and a man with heart.
  5. Lester Nygaard- before "success" he could always ask himself a question:- "what if you're right and they're wrong?". His "success" only confirmed he was a loser after all.
  6. Deputy Molly Solverson- she was quite good detective. She might have appeared brilliant only because all others around her were down right stupid.
  7. Floyd Gerhardt- Jean Smart fits her role well.
  8. State Trooper Lou Solverson- he is very clean cut. That's good in real life, but on TV there should be something wrong with you.
  9. Sheriff Hank Larsson- he's just there.
  10. Chief Bill Oswalt- he's just there to obstruct the investigation.
1. Peggy - We must be watching a different show. She is so self-centered and devoid of any redeeming qualities, I dislike her more than Skylar White .

7. Floyd Gerhardt - 100%

8. Lou Solverson - The end of E7 makes me think different.

Sure, Peggy lives in her own world. She even hallucinates. But she's not malicious.

On the other hand Skyler often was annoying and irrational.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
Just finished season 2 -- wow, what a spectacular series. btw, was listening on headphones and the sound mixing is so good.

I don't know if season 2 was as good as season 1, but the fact that I'm not sure means it might be, which is saying an awful lot. Think I still prefer the first, but man, this is a great show. I suspect there's going to be a whole lot of people who discover this gem a couple of years from now, or a couple of years after it ends.

Welcome to the human race...
It's funny how much energy we spent on watching and deriding every single episode season two of True Detective yet you can count all the (generally positive) posts about season two of Fargo on one hand. I feel like it's it's actually an improvement on the first season because of how easily it's able to break away from the first season's established parallels to the source film (Molly/Marge, Lester/Jerry, etc.) and just become a whole lot more focused as a result despite its potentially cliché-riddled mob war premise.

Also, sublime use of "War Pigs" at the start of the finale. I am disappointed that it didn't run in full, but what can you do.

Finished the last two episodes last night. I absolutely loved this season. This show has the Coen's characters down cold. To me that is what is making it so great. Maybe some might think this season was trying a little too hard but I think the artistic style was maybe the best I have seen in any TV show. Visual flourishes all over the place and I ate it up. It never felt distracting, just added to the storytelling for me. I love the way it ended. Especially for Mike. That scene was unforgettable.

I am going to go back and watch season one after the first of the year I think. I am so pleased with what they have done with Fargo. I was very nervous when they announced they were doing a series.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
just watched the final episode for Season 2. WOW

I was a little leary about the split scene which is a throwback to so many shows back in the seventies that I grew up in, but by the end of the season I started to really appreciate its use. Especially in the final two shows.

Like others have mentioned I stopped looking for comparisons to the film and simply enjoyed the show as is.

Seeing the connection between specific characters of seasons 1 and 2 in the dream, made me curious if they would continue backwards another generation in season 3. . .

What do you guys think of the supernatural stuff this season? I am glad it was really understated. I feel like it would have bothered me if it wasn't. Felt completely unnecessary though. I wasn't really getting anything heady out of it at all.