Could bird flu in humans become the next pandemic?

Tools    

OK, an important disclaimer here: I do not, in all seriousness, want to sound like an alarmist, or be the Chicken Little of the subject.

Having said that, it does sound like a very serious and respected expert on public health matters, Zeynep Tufekci, is definitely concerned that health officials aren't doing enough to prevent what could become the next big pandemic - bird flu in humans.

An excerpt from her latest opinion piece in today's NYT:

The H5N1 outbreak, already a devastating crisis for cattle farmers and their herds, has the potential to turn into an enormous tragedy for the rest of us. But having spent the past two weeks trying to get answers from our nation’s public health authorities, I’m shocked by how little they seem to know about what’s actually going on and how little of what they do know is being shared in a timely manner.

[...]

It’s entirely possible that we’ll get lucky with H5N1 and it will never manage to spread among humans. Spillovers from animals to humans are common, yet pandemics are rare because they require a chain of unlucky events to happen one after the other. But pandemics are a numbers game, and a widespread animal outbreak like this raises the risks. When dangerous novel pathogens emerge among humans, there is only a small window of time in which to stop them before they spiral out of control. Neither our animal farming practices nor our public health tools seem up to the task.

There is some good news: David Boucher, at the federal government’s Administration for Strategic Preparedness and Response, told me that this virus strain is a close match for some vaccines that have already been formulated and that America has the capacity to manufacture and potentially distribute many millions of doses, and fairly quickly, if it takes off in humans. That ability is a little like fire insurance — I’m glad it exists, but by the time it comes into play your house has already burned down.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/24/o...-outbreak.html

Maybe the OP works for the National Enquirer
If that's supposed to be a joke, it isn't even remotely funny.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
********* @Swan you gotta be careful
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Not worried, rarely passes to a human and it is very VERY rare that it goes from human to human once a human has caught it.

It's very hard to pass from bird to a person also. Any normal person outside of working with birds would have to be very unlucky to catch it.

Bird flu is one that is always blown out of proportion when it comes to humans getting it and the media making people panic.

Not worried, rarely passes to a human and it is very VERY rare that it goes from human to human once a human has caught it.

It's very hard to pass from bird to a person also. Any normal person outside of working with birds would have to be very unlucky to catch it.

Bird flu is one that is always blown out of proportion when it comes to humans getting it and the media making people panic.
Yeah, one of the big problems with this is that there is currently no way to know with certainty how many people might have already caught the virus.

All this makes catching potential human cases so urgent. Dr. Bright says that given a situation like this, and the fact that undocumented farmworkers may not have access to health care, the government should be using every sophisticated surveillance technique, including wastewater testing, and reporting the results publicly. That is not happening. The C.D.C. says it is monitoring data from emergency rooms for any signs of an outbreak. By the time enough people are sick enough to be noticed in emergency rooms, it is almost certainly too late to prevent one.

So far, the agency told me, it is aware of only 23 people who have been tested. That tiny number is deeply troubling. (Others may be getting tested through private providers, but if negative, the results do not have to be reported.)

Zeynep added some common-sense advice on Twitter

I'm comin' to getcha!

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I'm comin' to getcha!
Yeah, you get me every morning. Get me annoyed.