your top recommendations.........

Tools    

if you could urge people/friends to see two or three of your favorite movies, which would you recommend? i'm thinking of movies that aren't as widely known as blockbusters that come along.....movies they are not as likely to have seen.

a few movies i'd urge people to watch are:

Flight of The Phoenix -1966 dir. Robert Aldrich
Blood Simple - 1984 dir. Joel Coen
The Manchurian Candidate - 1962 dir. John Frankenheimer

Flight of The Phoenix -1966 dir. Robert Aldrich
Patti You just love to stick this one in my face knowing I can't find it anywhere it's been on my list to get for about a year and a half know.

The Long Goodbye
Robert Altman
Elliot Gould

Once Upon a Time in the West
Sergio Leone
Charles Bronson,Henry Fonda and Jason Robards

The Girl Who Knew Too Much aka The Evil Eye
Mario Bava
Letícia Román and John Saxon

Um Bungo! Um Bungo!
Blood Simple and Manchurian Candidate both excellent films!

I couldn't believe Blood Simple was coen brothers first attempt!

Although I would doubt it to be to everyone's taste I just wish I could find someone else whose seen Bad Boy Bubby

following that I'll lob lots of Jap films into equation which most people here have heard from me before

(mainly Audition)

Rock God
i say Rushmore and anything by the coens.

Good call, though I think Rushmore is getting more and more credit and recongition as time goes on. Ditto for, say, Raising Arizona. If I had to pick a Coen Brothers movie, I'd go with The Hudsucker Proxy.

Hudsucker is #2 the #1 spot goes to MILLER'S CROSSING. I didn't like Blood Simple as much as others an Fargo is prob my least favorite.

it's intresting BLOOD SIMPLE wasn't talk about or recommanded but as soon as FARGO was made everybody started to talk about it and since than it's the Coens 2 or 3 most talked about movie.

Rock God
i think Fargo is awesome and i would put it near the top of my list, although it is the coen's best known film.

i don't completely understand patti's original stipulation that they shouldn't be blockbusters. a lot of movies were complete hits in their day and people my age would never ever watch them unless it's for a school project.

i would recommend Citizen Kane and The Maltese Falcon first. i know everybody is thinking "those were complete success stories and everybody's seen them" but you'd be really surprised.

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.
Hmmm.....probably something asian, since eastern movies generally don't receive a widespread over here.

Most likely something from my two favs:
  • Wong Kar-wai
  • Takeshi Beat Kitano

you can interpret it as you'd like brodie.......i was simply steering away from listing the biggest of mainstream movies....you know

...and you'd better believe i'm gonna go rent some of the suggested flics. in fact, i'm walking to the video store right now.

Rock God
yay!

this is a cool thread, i wanna see what everyone else suggests.

After Hours (1985)
Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974)
In A Lonely Place (1950)

These are all good "friend-testers" for me, to see if new people I'm hangin' with are really, truly my type or not. If they don't absolutely love at least two of 'em, it's probably going to be a short but rocky road.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Now With Moveable Parts
Some great foreign movies: Like Water for Chocolate, Raise the Red Lantern, Red, White and Blue (three movies, there).

Sci-Fi- Cube

Murder/Mystery/Thriller- I have this movie...the title escapes me at the moment. I'll post it as soon as it comes back to me. It's awesome.

If you give me a few plot points and even one actor who's in it, I'll bet I can help you jog your memory. You aren't doing a Memento gag, are you?

Did I already ask you that? You see, I have this condition...

Now With Moveable Parts
You're funny, Holds.

Okay...here it is. I can't remember if it's foreign...feels like it could have been. I can't remember who's in it...that's why I think they were unknown to me.

The plot was three roommates, living together. They come across a briefcase of money. They hide it in their apartment. None of them trust each other. There is a girl and two men. There is some sort of love triangle...here's the big clue: One of the guys hides up in the attic and drills holes in the ceiling to spy on the others...to make sure no one takes the money.

???

Got it after the first sentence: Shallow Grave (1994), directed by Danny Boyle, starring Christopher Eccleston, Kerry Fox and some kid named Ewan McGregor.

I always name it the best movie of 1994 whenever my best of the '90s list comes up, and I discussed it in a bit of detail HERE. Great flick, one of my favorites.

Originally posted by sadesdrk
Sci-Fi- Cube
Yes, yes...YES! Excellent movie. I dug it. Got a little weird at the end, but the ending couldn't have possibly lived up to the first 3 quarters of it...where, I thought, were amazingly entertaining. The sequel, by the way (Cube 2: Hypercube) is due out in a few months.

MAN MAN MAN MAN MAN MAN!!!!!!!!!! sades, i knew your movie within the first sentence too.......damn.......holden! heh heh. (except i wasn't here when you posted it......and no doubt holden would have beat me to it anyway. )
shallow grave is definitely memorable.

holden, you nailed it......"friend testers"........exactly. ....perfect term.

ps. i've fumbled and made double posts of late.........double as in identical.....it happens when i edit/fix typos.......sorry everybody. aaargh.

Well, the only favorite of mine that could be called obscure is Instinct. But since other people are listing well-known films, I'll go ahead and say The Terminator and Seven.

firegod, i saw Instinct.........there were a few very disturbing scenes in that movie....i won't forget it.